Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The World Asunder

for we've never once met Lennox's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0111-0000-0101-0000
    “And to you,” said Councilman Arly, extending a hand to the approaching woman. “We are honored to receive one of the Court’s, eh… representatives. Dr. Elvek, isn’t it? I’m Councilman Arly, of Birdstone. This is Councilman Birdma of Miristad and Councilwoman Fishwash of the Temple of the Unrisen.”

“Welcome to Birdstone, Doctor,” said Samna. “As one of Erigan’s leading experts on the splinter phenomenon I trust your insights into recent events will be valuable. The other Council members are waiting for us at Councilman Arly’s estate.”

“Right this way, please.”

Member #
    Friends
    “Madam.” One of her faceless mooks stepped behind her, “I have spoken with the barkeep and from his information found out that Ms Fishwash can be found at a place called ‘The Temple of the Unrisen’.”

“Is that all?” Hilda took a sip of tea, “What of Avalon?”

“It appears that shortly we hear that radio signal, the young Mr Fishwash had passed on.”

“And are tensions rising?”

“Not sure.” The man hesitated before speaking.

She placed her tea down and looked at the knight, an average looking man, completely, forgettable and easily thrown away from memory. He coughed “It seems that before this incident that there had been no signs of conflict between the two nations. Some of the people in this harbor at the very least seem to have very little idea of what to make of this series of events.”

“How many men do we need to effectively pilot our vessel?”

“About twenty” he muttered before answering again more confidently “twenty-five madam.”

“And how many do we have on hand after that incident on the way here?”

“Roughly double that number madam.”

“Okay well,” she stood up, her cup emptied. “Be a dear, stay here and see if you can guide the peoples of this port’s opinion on this matter to one of slight aggression.”

“Madam, with all due respect, I am not an expert in espionage.”

“It is not very difficult captain.” Was he a captain? She wasn’t quite sure and frankly she did not care. “A whisper there, a statement here, that’s all there is to it; a simple enough task for you.”

She started to walk out the tavern where she hoped that the repairs in her ship were done with as she had more men to place in this country if she wanted to stop this incident from going to waste. She stopped and faced the man once more, “If you can’t even manage that, then see to it there that word gets out that a small town was razed by forces from Avalon. You had sworn to serve no matter what task is given to you, is that not correct?”

The man grew pale but slowly nodded.

Metz slowly walked out the door.

Member #
    Friends
    0111-0000-0101-0000
    The Arly estate was an old-fashioned wooden home in the Mirieli style, with the only exception being the reception room. The Councilman had had a windfall a few years ago with his shipping business based in Birdstone when a Vongoli competitor on the same line lost three ships in a freak storm north of Miriel, and with part of the money he'd refurbished the antechamber with an enormous panoramic window overlooking the mountain range. Still, it wasn't ideally furnished for such a meeting as this and it was clear that the chairs and couches cluttering the arch-ceilinged room had been dragged in from the rest of the house. An exceptional nineteen council members had showed up for the emergency meeting, intended to discuss the matter of the Avalonian rebellion, the developing splinter threat, and receive the special emissary from Erigan.

A young serving-girl was making the rounds with a pot of tea when Arly opened the door to the antechamber and made his way toward a high-backed armchair by the fireplace that he'd placed a hat in before leaving. The window's hadn't turned out to be particularly efficient from an insulation perspective, and the room was drafty even with the hearth blazing. Arly threw another log onto the fire as he was followed in by Birdma, Samna, and the two Eriginians.

"Esteemed members of the Council, I present you Dr. Gale Elfek of Erigan, and associate."

Arly pulled Weidr aside.

"I'm terrible sorry sir, but Illa here will take your bag and your affects if you'd like to join us. I won't pretend to know how things are done at the Frozen Court but traditionally I'm afraid we don't arm ourselves to the teeth for our Council meetings."

Arly's voice was a bit louder for this last bit, and he smiled askance to the other Council members, provoking a few low laughs.

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Weidr's not gonna like that. Gale decided to ignore Arly's aggressive comment. Today could easily be lost to bickering, and it was most important that it not be.

"Councillors of Miriel," Gale began. Looking around this none-too-impressive council chamber, she noted that there were a number of empty seats. Miriel's council wasn't known for its organization, nor its efficiency. "I am an expert in the field of splinter biology. Today I come with news from Erigan. In light of the recent splinter incursion in Avalon, two things have come to our attention. The first is that the splinters are not what they seem and are not typical in any way previously seen. The second is that we need access to your library in the Temple of the Unrisen."

Let's see what happens.

Member #
    Friends
    2458-2452-4849-3520
    Karigen sat in a lone chair at an isolated corner of the APF headquarters, Citri had turned down his offer to walk her home which left him lost and alone for the most part. He spend a good amount of time trying to find his way back, thoughts of returning home were already coming back to him but he wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do.
    He pulled a small purse out of his pocket with a flower pattern embedded in it, he examined it for a good few seconds before throwing it off the desk and covering his face in shame. He couldn't keep his hands to himself, he just kept stealing things that belonged to other people. After a couple minutes of mentally wailing in guilt he got up from the chair and headed outside.

"Hey! Where you off to?" A young male guard asked him as he walked outside. "You do know all APF members are being called in for a meeting right?"

Karigen looked at the young door guard and looked away.

"Just need some time to myself." He said before walking off. The guard staring at the Kapshen with a puzzled look on his face. Karigen proceeded to simply wander around the local area, he didn't care where he went. His mind was still swimming with questions and they all rounded down to the same thought of simply giving up and heading back home to Lokasen through any means necessary. The thought of his small cramped home was a comforting one, after messing up his offer with that weirdo on the offset island he couldn't stand the thought of heading back to face him. That entire island seemed off to him anyway. He pulled out his phone and scrolled through his small contacts list and stopped on a contact he simply had named as "Friend". He called the number and patiently waited for an answer. She wasn't going to be happy when he told her what had happened.

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    0111-0000-0101-0000
    "You need--" Councilman Arly blustered.

"All due respect, Doctor," Brernon Birdma cut in, "but I don't think I'd even be allowed access to that Library. They've got some of the only--"

"He wouldn't," Samna Fishwash cut in. "And it wouldn't be my decision, either. The Council does not deliberate on internal matters of the Temples. And even if it did, it would take more credentials than being an 'expert in the field of splinter biology' to get in. Frankly the odds of the Temple of the Unrisen granting library access to a foreigner aren't worth staking your hopes on."

Samna adjusted her sleeves anxiously. This wasn't going well, and it didn't seem like she was helping.

"If you could be more specific about what information you need, we'd like to help you. Any information you could get from the Library you can get from the monks at the Temple of the Unrisen."

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    "Y-yes, of course," replied Gale, shaking a bit. The room began to feel a bit warmer, and started to wonder why Ilmarinen had sent her. It's ok, they'll help me, I just need to tell them a bit about what I found. I came prepared for this.

"You see, it's because the splinters come from the surface, or at least look like they do. I've got photos that prove it," she continued, taking them out of her pack, "and the Temple of the Unrisen seems like a good place to find out about things on the surface. Here are the photos. Look at the seithr signatures if you don't believe me."

Ads