Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    I like the creepy, grungy look

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
    The only words you know in art are realism and cartoon. THAT'S REALLY SADDENING, JACK.

I'd draw a face if I could. Then it'd really look Nouveauy.

I love vectoring, though it takes up so much time.
    That's because I especially love realism, and detest cartoon.

Enoch was right.

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    What about a realistic cartoon?

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by DRMARIO View Post
    The point is it's not all called cartoon. I like most forms of art. Actually, I can't think of some that I detest. Minimalism?

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Well as long as we're throwing the names "realism" and "cartoons" around, I'd prefer cartoons. No it's nothing childish. I'm a cartoonist. I wish I had a printer I have a recent piece I'm honestly pretty proud of and would like to get yalls opinion.

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Quote Originally Posted by DRMARIO View Post
    This is rather ironic, considering your 'Man in the Snow' piece looks more cartoony than it does real. I also remember that time we both talked on Windows Messenger, and you showed a lack of respect for those who do line art, such as: manga, cartoons, anime, etc, claiming them to be less skilled than a realistic artist. As well as those who do digital art such as drawing on the computer, calling them cheaters and claiming they couldn't recreate their work on a real canvas.

Too bad you felt the need to type in caps to try and 'win' the argument against me, following with a "I still win". You really offended me, and it's hard to forget that.

Gikoku ハラカミ
    --------------------------

Don't think. Feel...
    It's like a finger pointing to the moon.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory.
    ~Bruce Lee, Wing Chun.

Bio
    Member #
    Friends
    Cartoon is an old term, but it's a correct one. It originally meant the unfinished sketch-stage in works of old-century artists, but the coining of it makes sense. Those artists always blueprinted with minimalistic details and complete line-contours before finishing them. That same sketchwork appearance has been mimicked and turned into its own art form centuries later.

The word that's actually being used incorrectly, is Realism, but that requires too much effort to explain...so I'm sure we all know what we mean when it's used in here.

"Realism" and Cartoon are like two opposites, so DR.MARIO's opinions aren't unusual. The catch, though, is that the opposing strengths allow an artist of one to always learn from an artist of the other. The beauty of cartoon is its abstract, various approach. The beauty of realism is its orderly approach. I feel that getting caught up in either without acknowledging the other makes that artist too limited. To excel in both makes you unstoppable. In art, you pretty much have to tolerate everything equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodine View Post
    What about a realistic cartoon?
    That's kind of my philosophy as an artist. In my style, I tend to like walking a signature bridge between "realistic" and cartoon since I find merits within both approaches that I like to use. I think extremes of either can be too uninteresting (pure cartoon can often feel too ridiculous...pure realism can often feel too unexpressive) I appreciate attraction of minimalism and contour in cartoon and the power of depth and recognition with "realism". (Hence my avatar and sig)

*Looks at Gikoku's avatar*

Oh crap, I'VE BEEN SPOTTED!

*runs*
    Last edited by Bio; 02-24-2009 at 08:25 PM.
    Brawl Code: 3566 3531 3273

Official Recordkeeper of the 1v1 League
    Want to compete in Smash Bros. on WiiChat? Join the League now! =)
    (I am NOT accepting Friend codes.)

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    The beauty of cartoon is its abstract, various approach. The beauty of realism is its orderly approach. I feel that getting caught up in either without acknowledging the other makes that artist too limited. To excel in both makes you unstoppable. In art, you pretty much have to tolerate everything equally.
    Yes, I completely agree. I love the seemingly boundless limitations for facial expressions alone when drawing cartoons/manga. I sometimes apply the concept of Jeet Kune Do to my artworks (sort of). Observing all art around me, but only absorbing that of which inspires me the most.. mixing with my own style and creating something fresh, and new. I'm not much in the practice of realism, but I do tolerate the form entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    That's kind of my philosophy as an artist. In my style, I tend to like walking a signature bridge between "realistic" and cartoon since I find merits within both approaches that I like to use. I think extremes of either can be too uninteresting (pure cartoon can often feel too ridiculous...pure realism can often feel too unexpressive) I appreciate attraction of minimalism and contour in cartoon and the power of depth and recognition with "realism". (Hence my avatar and sig)
    I'm curious to know what everyone else's philosophy on Art is. For me, it's an expression of life, a way for me to project my inner vision to the world, or rather the unfolding of my personality, y'know, take a dip into the bucket and get a view of what's really going on inside my head.

I've lately gain a fascination for art, that has a dynamic expression & feel. Eye-popping, yet highly complex and it just makes you sit down and go...

"Wow... " Sending you on an immediate journey, like a daydream.

Restricting oneself to a certain way of art, I find to give too little of freedom.. where you eventually reach the point of not being able to produce original art anymore.. such as mechanical repetition. However, I also have respect for it if it is what you feel comfortable doing, makes you feel good & happy.

*Looks at Gikoku's avatar*

Oh crap, I'VE BEEN SPOTTED!

*runs*
    Hehe.

Gikoku ハラカミ

Don't think. Feel...
    It's like a finger pointing to the moon.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory.
    ~Bruce Lee, Wing Chun.

Member #
    Friends
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Anyone who's a bit free with the "expression of my inner self" thing sort of scares me.

Expressionism isn't my cup of tea at all.

Ads