Thread: Art thread

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Bio, faultless as always.

--

Her eyes and cheeks are doing my pissing head in :

Still working on absolutely everything on this. Hell of a lot to do, still need to finish the hair (T'ank you again, Emma).

But...yeah..I think I've finally sorted her nose, and her lips are much better (though could still be much, much better).

I hate her eyes.

...and sorry for the rubbish iSight photo.

Enoch was right.

Member #
    Friends
    4076-9395-0234-2025
    Ahhh pull her cheeks up man!

Youve given her old woman jowls.

And she needs more chin, her face looks too droopy.

"If I had a dollar bill for everytime I was wrong, I'd be a self-made millionaire and I wouldn't be singing..."

Bio
    Member #
    Friends
    Thanks, DR.MARIO. =D

Faultless, eh? Well, I think I could work on her face a bit. Gotta make sure she's actually looking like a girl.

As for your picture, the face doesn't look bad so far. All the proportions seem to be there. I think you need to continue shading her entire face. The cheek muscles look awkward partially because the bottom of her face has no shading on them. If you have a uniform base tone, the detail of the cheek muscles will look more natural.

I think after the whole face is shaded, you may wanna adjust how strong you make those cheek muscle details. They could also be too pronounced for what you have rendered on the paper.

Eyes don't look bad to me. The bottom contours of each eye are very dark and thick, though, which is giving me that old woman vibe. I think for now the eyes are the least of your worries. You should work on the rest of the face and then go back and play with the shading of the eyes. Hair is also drawn accurately, though the shading isn't making sense.

Anyway, it's looking promising so far. Keep us updated on the progress! And lol @ the room taking up half of the photo.
    Last edited by Bio; 06-04-2009 at 11:47 PM.
    Brawl Code: 3566 3531 3273

Official Recordkeeper of the 1v1 League
    Want to compete in Smash Bros. on WiiChat? Join the League now! =)
    (I am NOT accepting Friend codes.)

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I agree with the chin thing - but I'm afraid there's no more chin I can put on her before it becomes inaccurate.

Problem with the eyes is, they are in fact incredibly dark underneath. Also, Dean, the problem with the cheeks isn't the position, but instead the shading like Bio just pointed out. I see what you mean, though.

I'll continue working on it, thanks for the feedback Bio.

(Sorry about the photo - the paper's fixed to my wardrobe door, and it's much easier to juse use iSight, and turn the whole iMac round:P)
    Last edited by DRMARIO; 06-05-2009 at 01:16 AM.

Enoch was right.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by DRMARIO View Post
    Bio, faultless as always.

--

Her eyes and cheeks are doing my pissing head in :

Still working on absolutely everything on this. Hell of a lot to do, still need to finish the hair (T'ank you again, Emma).

But...yeah..I think I've finally sorted her nose, and her lips are much better (though could still be much, much better).

I hate her eyes.

...and sorry for the rubbish iSight photo.
    Do you have a reference photo you're using? It'll be much more helpful for us to critique you. Have you tried lining everything with a REALLY light pencil? I still see evident outlines in the hair and on the chin (which I'm going to assume is because it isn't finished and you want to make it darker?) but uh, yeah, people don't have outlines in real life. I'm sure you already know that.

Are you drawing from a black and white picture? (You seem traditionally old fashioned to do so). That will help you pick out the shades a lot better, but I don't even use this method, so either way is fine. It's just if you can't see it on the cheeks and whatnot. Actually, I wouldn't worry about making the cheeks so prominent, no one really bothers about that. Just get all the main components down and then work on the detail. Go to another area and see if you feel more confident on doing that. I'll just move to a different place if I get frustrated with a picture.

You're attacking detail much to early on in this stage, like the strands of hair. Just make sure you've mapped out the whole picture beforehand and it should turn out fairly well. The hair also needs a few more layers of B pencils. I'm going to assume she has jet black hair?

I'm just rambling here. Hope you take that in. Dx

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty View Post
    Do you have a reference photo you're using? It'll be much more helpful for us to critique you. Have you tried lining everything with a REALLY light pencil? I still see evident outlines in the hair and on the chin (which I'm going to assume is because it isn't finished and you want to make it darker?) but uh, yeah, people don't have outlines in real life. I'm sure you already know that.

Are you drawing from a black and white picture? (You seem traditionally old fashioned to do so). That will help you pick out the shades a lot better, but I don't even use this method, so either way is fine. It's just if you can't see it on the cheeks and whatnot. Actually, I wouldn't worry about making the cheeks so prominent, no one really bothers about that. Just get all the main components down and then work on the detail. Go to another area and see if you feel more confident on doing that. I'll just move to a different place if I get frustrated with a picture.

You're attacking detail much to early on in this stage, like the strands of hair. Just make sure you've mapped out the whole picture beforehand and it should turn out fairly well. The hair also needs a few more layers of B pencils. I'm going to assume she has jet black hair?

I'm just rambling here. Hope you take that in. Dx
    Any outlines are there so that I can see what I'm doing. There's still so much that I need to do.
    As for the hair, yes, that does need a lot extra work, like I've already stated.

I understand that people don't like to go into detail early, but I always begin to focus on detail in one space, when I've gotten proportions correct. I like to see it progress in this way.

I think I will keep away from the cheeks for a while, and focus on other areas.

I'll post the picture I'm working from in a moment...

EDIT:

Hopefully this can help any of you...help me:P
    It's those defining features that I need to incorporate, because currently it just looks like a horibbly bland version of her face. I'm struggling particularly with the darkness under her eyes.
    Last edited by DRMARIO; 06-05-2009 at 08:37 AM.

Enoch was right.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Wow. You picked a horrible picture to work with. You should have chosen one where she has softer facial features.

And, do you plan on using up the whole area of the paper? Because she's looking kinda small.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Of course I'm not filling up the paper.

Her head would be horribly disproportionate if I did.

Enoch was right.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I would have made it bigger. It looks like you're going to have to invent new details that aren't shown in the reference picture. I personally like filling up the paper because of this.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I feel it's big enough...
    It's almost as big as my own head.

Enoch was right.

Ads