+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0430-9009-6263-5525

Pan's Labyrinth is a must see IGN Rating 9

[MEDIA]http://video-god.com/monkeystuff/pans%20small.wmv[/MEDIA]
    Innocence Has A Power Evil Cannot Imagine.

Pan's Labyrinth is the story of a young girl that travels with her mother and adoptive father to a rural area up North in Spain, 1944 - after Franco's victory. The girl lives in an imaginary world of her own creation and faces the real world with much chagrin. Post-war Fascist repression is at its height in rural Spain and the girl must come to terms with that through a fable of her own.

details:
    • Actors Ivana Baquero ; Doug Jones ; Sergi Lopez ; Ariadna Gil ; Maribel Verdu ; Alex Angulo ; Roger Casamajor ; Cesar Vea
    • Director Guillermo Del Toro
    • Certificate 15 years and over
    • Year 2006
    • Languages Spanish - Dolby Digital (5.1)
    • Subtitles English
    • Duration 1 hour and 59 minutes (approx)

Review from www.chudd.com

Watching Panís Labyrinth doesnít just deliver the joy of seeing a well-made film. It doesnít just deliver the wonder of a darkly beautiful fantasy brought to life. Watching Panís Labyrinth gives you the excitement of experiencing a filmmaker blossoming into true greatness, a director taking his spot alongside the other genius fantasists of cinema.

Guillermo del Toro has made a film that reinforces what many of us knew long before Ė heís not just one of filmís greatest visual artists but is also one of the formís consummate storytellers, a man with as much human empathy as design sense. His film brings together many of his favorite images and themes to create a new and breathtaking whole, a summation of his career to this point.

In many ways Panís is a sequel to The Devilís Backbone, del Toroís previous best work. He again returns to the Spanish Civil War, and he again sets the action in a regimented and isolated world Ė then it was an orphanage in a desert, here itís a military outpost in forested mountains. Young fairy tale lover Ofelia and her very pregnant mother come to the outpost to join the new man in their life, Captain Vidal. Heís Ofeliaís stepfather, and the biological father of the baby to be, a baby he is sure will be a son and must be born near him.

On the way to the outpost Ofelia discovers an ancient pagan idol, awakening what seems to be a fairy. At the outpost itself the fairy leads the girl to a maze that stands behind the main building; this labyrinth, weíre told, predates Christianity. And deep in its heart lives a satyr who tells Ofelia that sheís the lost princess of the fairy realm, and who gives her three tasks to accomplish before she can return home.

Meanwhile the woods around the outpost are filled with rebels, and they have moles inside Vidalís own staff. The Captain underestimates the rebelsí numbers, one of many touches that resonates with the modern conflict in Iraq, a war whose insurgency was, we were told, in its final throes in 2005. The rebels harass the outpost and raid its supplies; Vidal strikes back every time with brutality, even when the people captured arenít rebels at all.

Vidal is destined to take a place in the pantheon of great villains. Brutal and cruel, he personally oversees torture sessions. At one point he graphically beats in a manís face with a wine bottle. And yet heís not a two-dimensional monster; actor Sergi Lopez brings an evil charm and frightening reality to the man while del Toroís script fleshes him out into a full human being. Vidal isnít being evil just for the sake of being evil Ė he truly believes in his cause and truly believes that what heís doing is right. Heís a three-dimensional monster, a man whose blind obedience to a terrible ideology allows him to indulge many of his worst impulses.

Ofelia is just as much of a believer as Vidal. She believes completely and thoroughly in the world of fairies, and she believes in what the satyr tells her, despite the fact that heís a fairly creepy looking monster with hooves for feet and big horns on his head. But Ofelia is not like her step-father in that sheís not blindly obedient to the satyr, she doesnít just do as sheís told. In the end itís that trait which gives her salvation.

In The Devilís Backbone del Toro wove his ghost story very tightly into the Spanish Civil War setting; here the fairy tale echoes and reflects whatís going on with Vidal. The stories arenít separate and in fact theyíre totally complementary. I believe that either could stand on its own, but itís when theyíre together that del Toroís themes resonate the strongest. Itís fitting that these two characters and their two stories should be so intertwined, as there is a consistent theme of duality running throughout the film, from the way the center of the labyrinth goes between magical and non-magical states, the double lives of the two rebel moles and even Vidalís most unguarded moments, which take place in front of a mirror.

I must admit that duality wasnít something that was occurring to me while watching the film. Panís Labyrinth is filled with meaty thematic elements and the ending will certainly send people out of the theater to debate what exactly has happened, but while itís a movie that works well on an intellectual level itís also one that grabs you on an emotional level, which is how I found myself responding to it. The movie is del Toroís saddest; almost every frame is permeated with sadness. When the movie opens many of the characters have already made the choices that will send them to their eventual fates Ė in fact it could be argued that Ofelia is really the only character still making active decisions throughout the movie. But even sheís sad; besides being unhappy with her new stepfather and her new home, Ofelia is getting to the age where sheís expected to leave childish things behind. Sheís too old for fairy tales, everyone tells her, yet she still finds herself drawn to them.

The look of the film is evocative; while only a small amount of Panís running time occurs in any place that could be considered fairyland, the whole movie is set in a medieval looking compound in a primeval forest. Itís 1944 but everything is slightly out of time, lending every scene a delicate otherworldliness. And even the fantasy worlds that Ofelia comes to visit Ė the impossibly huge interior of a tree, or a strange castle with a dining room set with a dangerous banquet Ė donít feel that far removed from the reality of the outpost.

Which isnít to say that the inhabitants of these worlds would be at home on the compound. The creature effects in Pan are mostly old fashioned and practical, and look like they came fully formed from the darkest depths of del Toroís psyche. Doug Jones, Abe Sapien from Hellboy, has a dual role here. Heís not just the satyr of the title but also the Pale Man, a horrible monster whose eyes are in his palms and whose legs are wasted atrocities. Iím a 32 year old man but I have still found that monster haunting me when the lights are out. The world of Pan also includes strange and playful little fairies and a grotesque giant toad, all lovingly realized (although the fairies are CGI theyíre well done).

That world also feels like a fairy tale world, made up of rules that almost feel like dream logic Ė Ofelia must get an item at the dangerous banquet but must not eat any food. Tasks have to be accomplished by the full moon (a symbol of the girl's impending first menstruation?). The giant toad has to be fed a magic stone. And of course, being a dark reflection of Ofeliaís story, Vidalís world has its own logic, born not from dreams but their exact opposite, fascist cruelty.

Iím trying to write this review without revealing anything but the bare minimum about the film and its story. Pan isnít a twisty tale, so I donít think plot points would spoil the film for you, but itís a movie that needs to be experienced for the first time as purely as possible. Itís a movie that I think will divide people Ė not in terms of quality but in terms of meaning. Pan is a film that will challenge you in some ways and will reinforce your own beliefs in other ways. I know that itís a film that has forced me to think a lot about what a happy ending is, on a very basic level. Itís also a robust film Ė it doesnít fall apart under close scrutiny but rather invites it. Pan is a movie that makes for excellent and thoughtful post-theater discussion.

Panís Labyrinth is one of the best films of 2006. The bar has been raised not just for del Toro but also for his contemporaries. Anyone attempting to make a serious fantastical film has long been having to live up to the work of Gilliam and Cronenberg Ė now you can add Guillermo del Toro to that list. I know you may be frustrated reading this, knowing you're going to have wait more months for the film to finally be released. I feel the same way; Pan's Labyrinth is a film of breathtaking emotional, thematic and visual depth, and I know I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what the movie has to offer. I can't wait to see this again.

9.5 out of 10
    Wii Username:MII123 Wii Online Code: 0430-9009-6263-5525
    Mario Strikers Charged Football 395237 869217

Wii, 3XWiimotes, nunchuck, Classic Controller,1GB sd

Part of The WDSRT(Wiichat Ds Review Team)

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    4298-6036-7044-9890
    Meh, I thought it was a let down. It was ok but I wouldn't watch it again and read all the subs.

Member #
    Friends
    1678-4857-1511-1727
    I walked out of the theater an hour into Pan's Labyrinth.

I didn't hate it; I just couldn't see much reason to care about any of the characters. Pretty much everyone was self-absorbed, and the fantasy was just weird, pretty imagery. Didn't do much for me.
    Brent P. Newhall
    brentnewhall.com
    I own Zelda: Twilight Princess, Trauma Center, and Tiger Woods '07

Member #
    Friends
    0169-9501-5816-7969
    It seems like my kind of movie, I got it on my netflix list to check it out.

"I'm the only guy in the world who has to wake up to have a nightmare."

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."
    - Al Bundy

Member #
    Friends
    2476-7789-3835-5591
    am I the only one that liked this movie??
    I have the wii!!!! i know i suck at spelling!

Rep me if I did good.
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    0430-9009-6263-5525
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticGohan
    am I the only one that liked this movie??
    lol im thinking that now all the people i know that have seen it think its a Brilliant. i thourght it was such a great movie and i havnt seen anything like it before

Member #
    Friends
    3604-7513-0119-7419
    The movie was beautiful. How scary was the guy with the eyes in his hands. I'm taking a class at university this semester that is going to spend about a month discussing all of the facets of Pan's Labrynth. I can't wait.
    Wii Number: 3604-7513-0119-7419
    Wii Games: Wii Sports, Tiger Woods 07, Twilight Princess, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
    VC Games: Ocarina of Time, Castlevania, Galaga, Columns
    DS Games: Sword of Mana, Nintendogs
    Advance Games: The Lost Vikings

Member #
    Friends
    I may actually rent it if it is out on DVD. I wanted to watch it when it was released, but I was too busy with other things.

The key to immortality is first living a life
    worth remembering. - Bruce Lee

PSN ID: Byuakuya

Member #
    Friends
    0430-9009-6263-5525
    its out in the U.K.

Member #
    Friends
    amazing movie!

Wiinfo:
    3 remotes, 2 nunchucks, 1 vc
    Games: Wii sports, Zelda TP, Super Paper Mario, MK: Armageddon, Mario Party 8
    VC: Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Kirby's Adventure, Zelda:LTTP, Kid Icarus, Excite Bike, Bomberman '93

Ads