Ok I've seen the tranformers movie and I thought it was OK, but the more I think back on it the worse it seems to become in my mind...
First problem with this film (in fact the MAIN problem with this film) is that Micheal Bay directed it.
I'm gonna list some of the reasons why I'm hating it more and more thinking in retrospect.
1) The movie had a paper thin plot - which was also pretty retarded. I mean sure its big robots fighting a war on earth - but the delusions of grandeur (all-spark/witwiki's grandfather/section7) apparant in the film spoil what should have been a simple fun plot...
2) The Transformers hardly appeared in the movie - the biggest scene they were in was the one where they trashed Sam's garden. And when they did appear it was hard to tell who the f*ck was who?! (starscream had 1 line!)
3) The movie was "gritty" one minute then (trying to be) "funny" the next - which just ended up not working.
4) The section 7 thing was completely unneccesary, there was no point in putting the section 7 characters in the movie except to pass some time on a film that's already too long for what it is. And the section 7 humor didn't work either.
5) The blonde research/scientist person and her friends working for the US government. Apart from being totally unbeleivable characters (How the f*ck do kids right out of college know all about the technological capabilities of countries like North Korea - Russsia etc? Is it because of their lifetime of experience in the field? I think not. And she guesses that the "virus" is actually an evolved technological/electronic life-form! Wow good guess... Or, retarded plot-writing?
6) You can only tell who is who with Optimus Prime, Megatron, And bumblebee. The rest may as well not be in the film = big peices of silver sh*t.
7) The marines story was a complete waste of time. What did they contribute to the film/viewing experience? M Bay has a chubby for the US Military - thats it. Thats the whole reason they are in the film.
8) There were too many "cheesy" lines - and not in a good way (the "more than meets the eye was clever/funnyish - but)... "I.. AM... MEGATRON!" - What a stupid thing to say?! He didn't need to say anything - he should have just got on with trashing the place.
Honestly I could go on and on here. Its just not a great film - in time people will come to realize this.
I don't mind films that are heavily dependent on special effects - But between superman returns, spiderman 3, and transformers I'm getting pretty disillusioned with modern movie making.
Anyone seen how god-awful Rambo 3 is (Now its so bad that its funny to watch) - thats where we are headed with todays movies. The 80's action-movie-muscle movement resulted in the eventual release of Rambo 3. One of the stupidest blockbuster-esque films ever made (also see rocky 3/4/5). We are going to experience the same in future - but with special effects in place of action-movie-muscle (Arnie/Stallone etc).
Just my thoughts? Any care to agree/flame me?
Also sorry about the loooong post...