Kay. Before anyone says ANYthing, bear this in mind: THERE SHALL BE NO FANBOYISM. ONLY MATURE DEBATE. Note: Mature does not mean cursing,sex, and drugs. It means that you actually think before you speak, and that includes thinking about the feelings of others. So before you say, "LOL IPOD SUX," or, "LONG LIVEZ IPOODZZZZZZZZZ," think about the intelligence level that you're about to portray.
Okay, we've got some competitors in the PMP world.
Edit: WIFI PMP world, anyways. There are many other worthy contenders in the PMP world.
The Archos 605 wifi
The Apple iPod Touch
I would personally say that the Archos 605 wifi is the better device, though there are many people who would prefer the Touch.
Reasons for my saying:
These are all to my knowledge
Pros Apple iPod Touch has over Archos 605 Wifi:
2. Abundant third-party support
3. Greater popularity factor. Just because it's iPod.
4. A bit better battery life.
5. Better supplied headphones
Pros Archos 605 Wifi has over Apple iPod Touch:
1. Nearly double the capacity (16 GB to 30 GB. Keep in mind that I'm talking about the 30GB Archos 605 and the 16GB Touch)
2. Less expensive (Though the Archos 605 can be bought from an online store for $280, you still must buy the $30 web plug-in. But still less considering the Touch is nearly $400)
3. Bigger screen. (3.5 inch compared with 4.3 inch)
4. Sharper quality web browsing (800x400 resolution compared to Touch's.. (Actually I don't know. But I know it's more than the Touch's))
5. More colors. Archos 605 has 16 million colors while Touch has 256,000 I believe. I may be wrong.
6. Better sound quality with headphones other than the supplied ones.
7. Not restricted to using iTunes. Can use the "Drag and Drop" method. (though some may consider this a con)
8. Can be used with a DVR station (though that'll run you about... 70-100 bucks!) to record just about anything. And output component quality video.
9. Can be used to record video with a special add-on. (which, again, costs money!)
10. Can use a Battery Dock Adapter to boost battery life, charge the 605, and do USB host (the ability to take files off of hard-drives (external, mind you) and even cameras). Also, the battery dock can do video out. But then again, this will run you $50!
11. Can stream files from your PC via HTTP and FTP (though I have no knowledge of how to do this)
As you can see, I've done more research on the Archos 605 than the iPod Touch, which could possibly make my pros inconclusive.