LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain View Post
    I just finished watching, and actually it turned out to be a pretty good adaption of the comic. Okay, the film could do with being more subtle and less bloodthirsty (that's Zack Snyder for you), the Matrix-style fights are somewhat lacklustre, and I completely agree that the guy they chose to play Ozymandias is totally wrong for the part- he's supposed to be a Herculean examplar, not some college student. And the woman playing Sally Jupiter does not make a convincing old lady (couldn't they have hired someone else to play her older self?). On the other hand, they made great choices for Rorschach and the Comedian, who I've got to say, are the best characters in the story.
    Totally agree. Rorschach and the Comedian were awesome. I quite liked Patrick Wilson as Dan Dreiberg too.

I thought that there was a lot of subtlety that was missing from the movie that is in the comics, but it managed to contain most of the key points without being a total mess so I think they did a good job.
    Wii games - SMG, Zelda TP, Mario Kart, SSBB, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Endless Ocean, Blue World, Wii Fit, Super Monkeyball, Rogue Trooper, Shaun White, NMH, NMH2, GH: WT, Aerosmith, Zack&Wiki, Okami, RE4, Force Unleashed, Clone Wars, Scarface, PES, Tenchu, Trauma Centre NB, Madworld, Rune Factory, Wii Sports Resort, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Muramasa, COD Reflex, Obscure, Silent Hill, Rabbids Go Home, NSMB, Bully, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter Tri

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I just finished watching, and actually it turned out to be a pretty good adaption of the comic. Okay, the film could do with being more subtle and less bloodthirsty (that's Zack Snyder for you), the Matrix-style fights are somewhat lacklustre, and I completely agree that the guy they chose to play Ozymandias is totally wrong for the part- he's supposed to be a Herculean examplar, not some college student. And the woman playing Sally Jupiter does not make a convincing old lady (couldn't they have hired someone else to play her older self?). On the other hand, they made great choices for Rorschach and the Comedian, who I've got to say, are the best characters in the story.

Note: Spoilers for film and comic:
    Spoiler Alert!

The story ultimately works better as a comic than as a film, but it's still a nice adaption and turned out better than I thought it would. I give it a 7/10.
    Saw the movie last night and everything you said is spot-on. Like raisinghelen I also add that the actor who played Dan was also well chosen.

I do have a couple of comments:
    - There is no point to having Bubastis in the movie. In the comic it's appearance relates to Veidt's genetic research, which is something he's not doing in the movie. So it kind of has no place at all and it feels a little bit forced.
    - The "hallelujah!" song was a poor choice for the scene where it appeared. It took away from the seriousness of it, quite a lot.
    - I didn't like the fact that in the movie they actually saw themselves as a group called "the Watchmen".
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by anax4aero View Post
    - There is no point to having Bubastis in the movie. In the comic it's appearance relates to Veidt's genetic research, which is something he's not doing in the movie. So it kind of has no place at all and it feels a little bit forced.
    I agree, Bubastis just seems way out of place here with Veidt not in genetic research like he was in the comic. I get the feeling there was probably meant to be a scene explaining Bubastis earlier on which got deleted for time.

- The "hallelujah!" song was a poor choice for the scene where it appeared. It took away from the seriousness of it, quite a lot.
    They couldn't have picked a worse place to put it. That whole scene was cringeworthy. And what really kills me is, I like that song.

Spoiler Alert!
    Completely agree about the first part, and yes, that was supposed to be the Comedian.

I never add friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

I GOT A JAR OF DIRT. surfinrach90's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Went to see it y/day, never read the comic.
    It was good. Pretty dark but a well made film.
    Very different to other superhero films, mainly because of it's darkness but yah it's good, recomend it

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Watchmen>DarkKnight (I think theres loads of hero films that are better than that)

Not read the comic but enjoyed the film
    THATS ALL THAT COUNTS TO ME!!!
    Spoiler Alert!
    @D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkprinny View Post
    Watchmen>DarkKnight (I think theres loads of hero films that are better than that)

Not read the comic but enjoyed the film
    THATS ALL THAT COUNTS TO ME!!!
    Don't worry about it, despite all my ramblings it's pretty close to the original comic, so it's not like you're missing too much. It's certainly a better adaption than the V For Vendetta film was.

@ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Looking forward to seeing this film.
    Don't worry about it, despite all my ramblings it's pretty close to the original comic, so it's not like you're missing too much. It's certainly a better adaption than the V For Vendetta film was.
    Granted, I've never seen the comic, but I thought V For Vendetta was a great movie. I love Hugo Weaving, currently my favorite actor. Did you not like the movie, or are you simply saying that it didn't match the comic very well?
    Super Moderator - PM me if you have any issues.

We Want Young Blood.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbb_lover View Post
    Looking forward to seeing this film.

Granted, I've never seen the comic, but I thought V For Vendetta was a great movie. I love Hugo Weaving, currently my favorite actor. Did you not like the movie, or are you simply saying that it didn't match the comic very well?
    I thought the film was decent, but doesn't live up to the comic. The film misses a lot of the points made in the comic, a lot of characterisation of the government characters is missing, and it was a bit too "cartoony".

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I think V for Vendetta is not an appropiate film to compare with Watchmen, seeing how they're not really polar opposites since V worked as a film without having to follow the comic exactly (although I also have not read the comic).

Now, if we consider The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...there's a polar opposite.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by anax4aero View Post
    I think V for Vendetta is not an appropiate film to compare with Watchmen, seeing how they're not really polar opposites since V worked as a film without having to follow the comic exactly (although I also have not read the comic).
    I compared them because they were both based on comics by Alan Moore. Besides, my point is that allow Vendetta worked, it could have worked a whole lot better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads