LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Do you judge a book by it's cover?

Hello.

When you step into a bookstore, or library, do you often judge the books by their cover?

Or do you take a chance, and get a book which cover looks crap, in the hopes that the insides are of higher quality?

I read a LOT. And I do tend to judge books by their cover. A silly cover oft means a silly book.

I am interested to see how many serious answers this post gets... (probably zero)

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    'Course. I automatically assume every book isn't interestin' since I ain't much for readin'.

... But in all seriousness, back when I was a bookworm, no. Naturally I'd assume things based on a cover, but almost never brush off a publication without openin' it up first. 'Less t'was a children's book, obviously. And even then... ya never know. I'd have a few legitimate examples t' link to, but... uh, my memory says no.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    Animal Farm, what's that? ... oh.
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: F.E.A.R., Skyrem.
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    I used to read a lot of bulk fantasy and scifi, and good thing about them they have a clear synopsis of the plot in the cover. So, just by looking at the cover, you usually know what you are in for.
    -and if the cover had a scantily clad heroine with a massive sword, even better!!!

For more serious literature, it is harder, but even then the cover usually gives some idea about how the book is written. I mean if a hard science -book has a very confusing back text, then the book is usually just as confusing to a layman...

When a kid, I loved those books that had buttons on the cover. And when you pressed a button, an animal noise would sound! Brilliant!

Member #
    Friends
    Well if the cover is good and the outline of the story written in the back cover of the book is good enough to attract my attention then i will just judge the book by its cover. Who bothers to go throughout the book and select it to read again. That would be silly thing to do hahahahahahaha. Beside taking suggestions with friends who have already read it will be good to select the book.

Member #
    Friends
    These days you can read extracts from books online, before buying, especially on better online bookstores.

I usually order a big pile of books once a year from online store. But I do not bother with the extracts. I just pick books to the cart by their cover picture! Since the books are cheap softbacks, I do not lose much if some of the ordered books turn out to be crap.

With this method, about 60% books bought have turned out to be good reads, while 30% have been very average indeed. And the rest 10% have been real stinkers!!!

I suppose I could save a pile of money by reading such extracts and then deciding which books to buy. But I'm way too lazy for that...

Ads