+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6353-8215-2245-6499
    Quote Originally Posted by CobaltBlue View Post
    Have you tried a speedier router?
    I think that's the ticket. I've always had a wired connection but and when I bought a better router wii freezes were reduced about 75%. The occurrence of lag is random as usual but not too often.
    SitnDuck[E7] FC: 0438-6336-2799

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    A good router also needs good internet. Just one won't do it if you're really lookin' to minimize the amount'a lag you cause... although a quality router and only decent internet would likely do, yeah. Sound advice Mike.

I dunno, having to boot your Wii up again and again every so often would get more tedious than lag, but that's just me.
    Lag is a constant issue that can literally make a game unplayable, whereas restarting the Wii isn't... tedious as it is, I'd much rather deal with freezes. And I do have experience t' support that opinion, as Project: M loved t' freeze every three games for me awhile back.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    0004-0004-0004-0004
    Have you tried a speedier router?
    Yeah, my router is new and able to handle the traffic that goes through it easily. The Wii is really my only device that has had problems. All other devices show great performance. I'd say that I want the hardwired connection for reducing packet loss over anything. It's gotten recently to the point where it takes more of anything to get a kill. Freak stuff where opponents walk though my explosives, I have to melee three or more times, or it takes over a clip to put someone down has been pretty normal recently. The Wii is right next to the router, so I'm checking this out to see if anything improves. It's a cheap investment, anyway, so worth it for a try.
    Goldeneye
    FC: 116942175245
    IGN: Bakura

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakura23 View Post
    Yeah, my router is new and able to handle the traffic that goes through it easily. The Wii is really my only device that has had problems. All other devices show great performance. I'd say that I want the hardwired connection for reducing packet loss over anything. It's gotten recently to the point where it takes more of anything to get a kill. Freak stuff where opponents walk though my explosives, I have to melee three or more times, or it takes over a clip to put someone down has been pretty normal recently. The Wii is right next to the router, so I'm checking this out to see if anything improves. It's a cheap investment, anyway, so worth it for a try.
    I know exactly what you mean. I have been screaming at my tv "I MELEED HIM 4 EFFING TIMES" and I still die. Its actually a little nice to know its not just me lol. Let me know how the hard wired connection works for you.

Number 1 GE Wiimote User TampaBondo's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    8297-0574-6373-3839
    It also helps when you pay for your own internet and router, and don't try to mooch off the neighbors' internet ;-) LOL
    Online name: TmpaBndo[E7]
    GE FC:
    0605-5154-0786
    LVL: 56

Member #
    Friends
    0004-0004-0004-0004
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaBondo View Post
    It also helps when you pay for your own internet and router, and don't try to mooch off the neighbors' internet ;-) LOL
    They should stop being so cheap and get the high-end connection lol. I couldn't use my neighbor's connection if I wanted; they're out of range.apGE - I'll post how I do with the hardwired connection...the piece should arrive in a few days.
    Goldeneye

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaBondo View Post
    Yes Tampa, we alllll know I use my neighbors wifi. Good job pointing out the bleeding obvious though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakura23 View Post
    They should stop being so cheap and get the high-end connection lol. I couldn't use my neighbor's connection if I wanted; they're out of range.apGE - I'll post how I do with the hardwired connection...the piece should arrive in a few days.
    Luckily, mine are in range They actually used our wifi for over a year so im not that worried about it. My lag didnt even change much. Its only been the last month or so, where more than two melees are required. Been using neighbors wifi for longer than a month. Look forward to the results of your experiment!!!

Member #
    Friends
    0004-0004-0004-0004
    Well, the USB hardwire device arrived yesterday and I was able to try it out some last night and this morning. It seems like everything is responding better with it...fewer mutuals, kill more quickly, haven't had to melee anyone more than twice, no delayed response when pressing buttons. My speed tests were just a bit lower with the wired connection and I don't seem to have any more of a connection advantage, as I will still get shot ducking for cover or before I can see a player. I'd say it was worth it, though, just for the more consistent gameplay.
    Goldeneye

Member #
    Friends
    I hooked up my hardwire yesterday and have been playing a good bit the last two days. According to my speedtest, there does seem to be a SMALL increase in my download per second, but the upload is the same. The ping is now consistently 45, instead of 45 about half the time and 95 or higher the other half. My wii was already next to the router so I didn't expect much of an improvement, but then again that seems like the only practical circumstance for a hardwired connection anyway.

As far as the play experience... I don't know. It's weird - some games it does seem genuinely better, but others feels like the same old hat. I will say that hosting has been more "manageable" since I've been using it than it was in the past. The freezes are a bit more frequent, maybe 3 on average per night instead of 1; not excessive, but noticeable.

I think if I really wanted to improve my connection in a significant way I would spend a chunk of money for a better router and/or a higher bandwidth from my internet provider. As a low cost option the USB hookup is about all there is, and it's not much to be honest. But it is something.
    hyoidman, level 56 (100% Legit!!)
    4551-1166-5553

Member #
    Friends
    The weird lag has finally worked to my advantage yesterday i survived a 2 melee attack and killed the guy (with melee) and also survived 2 proxies. I have never had that happen before. lol.
    Possible IGNs: [OZ]Sev, Sev[S2], Just Sev, SaulWelngood, Judd Nelson and many more

Ads