Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6487-0727-1500-1514

Links Running Animation

I've been watching videos of Zelda: TP for a while now, and I am extremely excited about it. I just can't wait. I am a little, i guess upset, by what I've seen in a way. Links animation when he is running seems a little, lack-luster. Does it look to anyone else like he doesn't seem to be running very hard. In OOT & MM, he was running like there was no tomorrow (no pun intended).

I'm sure they won't do anything about it, but what do you guys think? It just seems a little weak. Maybe I'm worrying too much about nothing, but I can't say it doesn't make me worry.

While I'm here, I suppose I'll ask, does anyone also notice that whenever you strike an enemy with your sword, the game seems to freeze for a second. I think this was the same in WW, and probably the N64 ones, but it does irk me a little.

Anyway, don't want to scare anyone into not buying it. Just wanted to get some opinions.

Video - Watch the video More Battles (E3 Wii Off-Screen) (05/11/2006)
    Last edited by Flip; 10-15-2006 at 02:05 AM.
    *Image Removed By Moderator*

Member #
    Friends
    the sword issue is done on purpuse. I think this is coverd on the faq for zelda on this site even. Its done to make it feel more like you have hit the enemy. now the animation, well i will look at it some more and get back to you. It would help if you had a video link that shows it clearly though.

Ok, i looked at some video, and you may have a point, but i think he is almost walking, and i think that thier will be a speed boost of some kind with a diffrent animation. The reason he looks like he isent running very much is becuse he is running without moving his arms back and fouth. Its possible this has changed, becuse in the time most of the videos have been made or captured, the controles to the game have already changed. so thats to say they still had time to get a new build of the game out and that would mean its still possible for the animation to have changed. well link runs like a fairy or elf but then again he is one, soo... i dont think its too bad.
    Last edited by White-Wolf; 10-14-2006 at 11:38 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    6487-0727-1500-1514
    Sorry, I was going to put a video in but my net dropped while I was looking for one. Then I forgot about it . I'll look at getting one now.

I knew about the sword issue already, but I just wanted opinions on it. Really, I'm not trying to complain. Just a topic for discussion.
    *Image Removed By Moderator*

Member #
    Friends
    Mii thinks that Link's running is gonna change coz that vid is of the E3 build and no the final version. I really do hope that they change it

Member #
    Friends
    I mean it really doesn't matter how he runs. All it matters is how much fun and satisfaction when you beat the game. I really don't care how he runs.
    Legend of Zelda#1 Series

Member #
    Friends
    ^yeah but if the running is really done poorly, like if it shows hes not really running thats it just kind of weird
    but yeah the game has changed quite a bit since E3 so either they changed that or hes just not running at all, more like a brisk jog, or fast walk
    =P

vv OMG Emo hampster!! vv BlightedArt's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    I actually found in OoT, the older and younger links weren't sprinting at all. It was more like a fast jog (apart from young links arms flailing out to the sides), even so it looked very smooth and convincing. I'm downloading one of the battle video's now, so I'll edit my post later after seeing his "new run".

Edit: I see what you mean. The lack of arm movement and torso twisting really kills the kinetic feel of him running. I'd prefer the OoT/MM runing over this. Also can someone tell me if on the Battle Video (top right vid in the link on the OP), that when Link is fighting, the B button displays a sword?

I'm aware this is the E3 vid, and that since then they've announced the Wii Mote will be used to swing the sword.
    Last edited by BlightedArt; 10-15-2006 at 04:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyan Winters
    If your friends don't have their own Wii, what kind of friends are they?
    http://www.gabbly.com/wiichat.com <-live chat with WiiChat users

Member #
    Friends
    I have only seen one video with the new controls, It was on youtube, and it was take from behind the guy playing the game, and you couldnít see the game that good, and I donít have a link, plus it was very very short, but thatís the only video I know, that is of a newer build then the e3 build. I donít know what the animations looked like though. Really the animation is prancy, and we all know the origin of link being the creator loved forests and the idea of fairies, maybe having link move like this isnít so bad. The animation is done well, its just a-typical, but its kinda neet. I would have to see the actual game, to say if I could stand seeing the animation all the time or if it would get annoying soon, because I think thatís really my biggest concern, is not being able to stand to see link move.

I come from art school with a animation major and I am going to say, donít worry about it, and Iím a pretty picky guy when it comes to game art. I also think that their will be a full out run cycle, but the ones we have seen lack a special ability to make link move faster. The animation we see is done well. How, well his arms may not move much, but he feels very light on his feet. I think he might even extend the balls of his toes before the heal just a tad.

In mm link had a very heavy run animation but when you got the bunny mask, the animation didnít change, he just sped up along with the animation. I would love to see an implementation when link moves faster, that he does a full on striding charge. This will also make him feel like he is moving a lot faster from his normal trout.

Again we are just going to have to wait until the game comes out to see if it really works or not.

vv OMG Emo hampster!! vv BlightedArt's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Yes, but remember the game has been in production for a heck of a long time, just post-poned because they wanted to apply the Wii controller. I doubt they'd change the run-cycle now as it apparantly has no negative or positive influence on the Wii-Mote. The only thing they changed in this regard is flipping the game horizontally for links left-hand/right hand swordplay.

Meaning the run-cycle animation was probably already finalized before E3, I hope I was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyan Winters
    If your friends don't have their own Wii, what kind of friends are they?
    http://www.gabbly.com/wiichat.com <-live chat with WiiChat users

Member #
    Friends
    the way link run is just fine. Like I said before it doesnt matter how link run.
    Legend of Zelda#1 Series

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads