ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiAssasin View Post
    Nobody plays Zelda for the lore. It's pretty craptastic. Ocarina at least bothered to expand on the little bit of lore there was. MM didn't care for it at all. Zelda's puzzles, dungeons, and world are its core.
    MM had a different kind of lore. Still not sure if it is the same universe. Anyway what really keeps the fans to the series is the lore. Each game increases our knowledge and SS was definitely no exception. It's also the symbols in the lore that people understand. It's not just a puzzle dungeon game, it's a Legend. The lore is not only a part of LoZ's core, it's its identity. Lore connects the fans together, and gives them almost a symbolic language to communicate with.

Best way to explain it is by expanding your horizons. For every game like Xenogears, there's a plethora of CoD's and Maddens, but the struggle is completely worth it.
    I have seen lots of stuff and a lot of story telling methods and video games is a hard place to find a good storytelling. I know as a lover of stories, there is good and there is a whole lot of crappy.

Some examples of cool storytelling techniques I have seen in video games:

Assassin's Creed's Animus - Even though they went and destroyed the story, the storytelling method of looking back through your ancestors eyes to fit together things in the present is very brilliant.

Legend of Zelda's Time Shenanigans - The non-linearness of it is very interesting and makes an otherwise 'save the princess' story into a Legend.

Fire Emblem's Character Supports - It surprisingly adds a lot of emotional value in the game.

Portal in General - Seemingly innocent experimentation slowly turns suspicious and hints at a hidden sinister plot through the many subtle hints thrown at you, especially through the Rattman Caves.

I will post more on this later. I have been meaning to put all this storytelling stuff I have found in video games together in a list. I might as well make this a thread.

The 3 day cycle is great, storytelling is not.
    Can you see the psychology in MM? The sorrow, the idea of fate and destiny. It's like I am reading the Children of Húrin again with a non-linear time scale and more people.
    Last edited by Mr. MR; 08-28-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Spoiler Alert!

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MR View Post
    The beauty of MM is that the side quests are apart of the whole storyline.
    The side quests aren't a mere part, they are the story. Their importance to MM as a game is heavily belayed by the fact that it's all optional. Some bear more significance than others, and these significant side quests could've easily been integrated into the required narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by DBloke View Post
    MM is overrated
    no

MM is shite
    no

OoT is overrated
    fix'd

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583

Trailer for WWHD Hero Mode

Spoiler Alert!

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Assumin' there's nothin' like Heart Medals in WW, that'l actually make for some difficulty. I hope Hero Mode becomes a normal thing for Zelda.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    MM had a different kind of lore. Still not sure if it is the same universe. Anyway what really keeps the fans to the series is the lore. Each game increases our knowledge and SS was definitely no exception. It's also the symbols in the lore that people understand. It's not just a puzzle dungeon game, it's a Legend. The lore is not only a part of LoZ's core, it's its identity. Lore connects the fans together, and gives them almost a symbolic language to communicate with.
    If lore is what keeps the fans, everyone would've left Zelda as soon as the timeline became canon. Thankfully, that is nowhere near the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MR

I have seen lots of stuff and a lot of story telling methods and video games is a hard place to find a good storytelling. I know as a lover of stories, there is good and there is a whole lot of crappy.
    On the contrary, video games are perfect for good stories. Inserting the player into the creator's works is something other forms of media lack.

Assassin's Creed's Animus - Even though they went and destroyed the story, the storytelling method of looking back through your ancestors eyes to fit together things in the present is very brilliant.
    The Animus is what makes everyone cringe since Desmond has to periodically leave it. I'm sure most AC players would simply like to play as an Assassin without going to his time.

Legend of Zelda's Time Shenanigans - The non-linearness of it is very interesting and makes an otherwise 'save the princess' story into a Legend.
    Timeline.

I'll just let that sink in.

Portal in General - Seemingly innocent experimentation slowly turns suspicious and hints at a hidden sinister plot through the many subtle hints thrown at you, especially through the Rattman Caves.
    That's Valve games in general. Specifically, Half Life considering it seems to be in the same universe and possess similar storytelling devices (lack of cutscenes, etc). And Half Life also does it better.

Can you see the psychology in MM? The sorrow, the idea of fate and destiny. It's like I am reading the Children of Húrin again with a non-linear time scale and more people.
    You can see whatever you like, but it doesn't mean it's there. You can also see Paradise Lost in Link To The Past if you squint hard enough, but it ain't there. It's simple overanalysis.
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: F.E.A.R., Skyrem.
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    On the contrary, video games are perfect for good stories. Inserting the player into the creator's works is something other forms of media lack.
    That it may be but producers discourage developers from making a game based solely on the story. A good story does not make a game sell well. Video games has not reached the reputation of good storytelling medium that books, movies, and shows already have. 6 Days in Fallujah is a testament to that.

The Animus is what makes everyone cringe since Desmond has to periodically leave it. I'm sure most AC players would simply like to play as an Assassin without going to his time.
    Then those people are more focused on gameplay and not the story. Truth be told most video gamers don't really care about stories telling but more on gameplay and because of this, developers have to find new ways of introducing the story.

If AC was a book or a movie, the storytelling technique would be more appreciated.
    Last edited by Mr. MR; 08-29-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    That it may be but producers discourage developers from making a game based solely on the story. A good story does not make a game sell well. Video games has not reached the reputation of good storytelling medium that books, movies, and shows already have.

That applies to everything ever. Movies and books don't need a good story to sell well. Therefore irrelevant.

6 Days in Fallujah is a testament to that.
    This does it better.

Considering the earliest
    If AC was a book or a movie, the storytelling technique would be more appreciated.
    No ifs, ands, or buts.

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    That applies to everything ever. Movies and books don't need a good story to sell well. Therefore irrelevant.
    However it definitely separates the masterpieces from the crap. The ones that stand the test of time are the ones with good storytelling.

This does it better.
    Considering the earliest
    You don't know much about 6DIF.
    It existed long before Spec Ops: The Line. 6DIF caused huge controversy. If it was a documentary or a movie or a book it would have been perfectly acceptable to produce. But because it's a video game, it was shot down in disgust. It was only trying to convey the experience and the horrors of a real battle. Because of this, it may never see the light of day.

No ifs, ands, or buts.
    What I am trying to show you is video games have no respect as a story telling medium.

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    However it definitely separates the masterpieces from the crap. The ones that stand the test of time are the ones with good storytelling.
    In other words, it follows the same patters as all other forms of media. Big guys want money, small works become classics.

You don't know much about 6DIF.
    It existed long before Spec Ops: The Line. 6DIF caused huge controversy. If it was a documentary or a movie or a book it would have been perfectly acceptable to produce. But because it's a video game, it was shot down in disgust. It was only trying to convey the experience and the horrors of a real battle. Because of this, it may never see the light of day.
    Both had their first gameplay shown in 2009. I think it's certainly is plausible that both are around the same timeframe. The key difference is that The Line could never exist as anything other than a video game in order to work. And it actually was released.

What I am trying to show you is video games have no respect as a story telling medium.
    Again, it's like everything ever:
    They don't respect the bad ones. Bad games are more plentiful, which make 'em representative of the medium.

Spoiler Alert!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Ads