Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: ZELDA THREAD!!

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiAssasin View Post
    In other words, it follows the same patters as all other forms of media. Big guys want money, small works become classics.
    Although some of the Big Guys were once the small guys and still know how to tell a good story. A good movie stands the test of time. And for that to happen it needs to have good story telling. Not the same with video games where the games that stand the test of time are based more on gameplay

Both had their first gameplay shown in 2009. I think it's certainly is plausible that both are around the same timeframe. The key difference is that The Line could never exist as anything other than a video game in order to work. And it actually was released.
    6DIF was finished in 2010 from what I have heard. However no producer would produce it due to the controversy. SO:TL is a fictious story that portrays war as war. 6DIF is a real story that portrays war as war. If 6DIF was a movie or a documentary it would be out now with minimum controversy.

Again, it's like everything ever
    No, it's not about what it's called. A game. Even though we know not all "video games" are games the rest of the world does not see it that way. A book like Kite Runner is not an enjoyable book made for entertainment, but it is a good book that portrays emotion very well. Not all movies are entertaining but some of them are non the less a good movie. Video Games does not have that kind of respect.
    Last edited by Mr. MR; 08-29-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MR View Post
    Although some of the Big Guys were once the small guys and still know how to tell a good story. A good movie stands the test of time. And for that to happen it needs to have good story telling. Not the same with video games where the games that stand the test of time are based more on gameplay
    Not at all. OoT, Morrowind, FF7, and many more have aged. This aging is mainly in the gameplay department. They're still classics because they achieved in creating an immersive world, complete with good narrative. People will play Xenogears for the story, not the gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MR
    6DIF was finished in 2010 from what I have heard. However no producer would produce it due to the controversy. SO:TL is a fictious story that portrays war as war. 6DIF is a real story that portrays war as war. If 6DIF was a movie or a documentary it would be out now with minimum controversy.
    Well, The Line does touch that, but it has bigger focuses in mind.
    No, it's not about what it's called. A game. Even though we know not all "video games" are games the rest of the world does not see it that way. A book like Kite Runner is not an enjoyable book made for entertainment, but it is a good book that portrays emotion very well. Not all movies are entertaining but some of them are non the less a good movie. Video Games does not have that kind of respect.
    A game like The Line isn't made for entertainment, but it is a good video game that portrays emotion very well. Not all video games are entertaining but some of them are nonetheless a good video game. See?

The same view you hold of the world's view on video games exists for everything else ever. The good, the bad, and the ugly, so to speak.
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: Oblivion, Smash 3DS, Parry Souls 2.
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    Not at all. OoT, Morrowind, FF7, and many more have aged. This aging is mainly in the gameplay department. They're still classics because they achieved in creating an immersive world, complete with good narrative. People will play Xenogears for the story, not the gameplay.
    I don't really see how that counters my point.
    I haven't played Xenogears but I doubt it can stand next to master literary works and critically acclaimed movies.

NA game like The Line isn't made for entertainment, but it is a good video game that portrays emotion very well. Not all video games are entertaining but some of them are nonetheless a good video game. See?

The same view you hold of the world's view on video games exists for everything else ever. The good, the bad, and the ugly, so to speak.
    There are video games that aren't made for entertainment but they are very few and don't sell well. Video games like that are very restricted in the stories it can tell and in the way they can tell a story. It's sad video games are not respected enough as a storytelling medium. Part of the blame is the consumer. Most gamers don't read that many books and most don't even care about stories and storytelling methods. Good video games aren't dependent on that. As you pointed out, it's more focused on gameplay, graphics, physics engines, world building, interactiveness, and immersion. Video game storytelling is a rare and unappreciated art.
    Last edited by Mr. MR; 08-29-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    I don't really see how that counters my point.
    I haven't played Xenogears but I doubt it can stand next to master literary works and critically acclaimed movies.
    It's the closest that a video game can get to one.

There are video games that aren't made for entertainment but they are very few and don't sell well. Video games like that are very restricted in the stories it can tell and in the way they can tell a story. It's sad video games are not respected enough as a storytelling medium. Part of the blame is the consumer. Most gamers don't read that many books and most don't even care about stories and storytelling methods. Good video games aren't dependent on that. As you pointed out, it's more focused on gameplay, graphics, physics engines, world building, interactiveness, and immersion. Video game storytelling is a rare and unappreciated art.
    Why do you believe that cinematography and literature is spared from that same criticism which is applicable to them?

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    It's the closest that a video game can get to one.
    That's not a very optimistic future of video games and storytelling.

Why do you believe that cinematography and literature is spared from that same criticism which is applicable to them?
    Because art is a way of telling truths from any perspective and video games are not widely considered as art. The very name "game" holds it down.

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    That's not a very optimistic future of video games and storytelling.
    I'm saying that this game in the past did stuff right. That's excellent. Placing a game next to other great works of men is a great honor. It's quite optimistic.
    Because art is a way of telling truths from any perspective and video games are not widely considered as art. The very name "game" holds it down.
    Except that goes for everything. I see a commercial for the latest film or see a low quality book and consider it garbage.

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    Your not getting the point
    There will always be good and bad

But Storytelling is something that is restricted in video games

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    Your not getting the point
    There will always be good and bad

But Storytelling is something that is restricted in video games
    Except that storytelling is strongest in games. Being a part of something is superior than simply watching or reading about it.

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    Except that storytelling is strongest in games. Being a part of something is superior than simply watching or reading about it.
    No it isn't
    Anyone who has read a good story knows that reading plays off of your own imagination.
    Flims uses the imagination of everyone involved with it, almost a collaboration of visions.

Video games is a unique way of storytelling medium but it will probably never get the chance to become great.

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    No it isn't
    Anyone who has read a good story knows that reading plays off of your own imagination.
    Flims uses the imagination of everyone involved with it, almost a collaboration of visions.

Video games is a unique way of storytelling medium but it will probably never get the chance to become great.
    Broaden your horizons. That's the best recommendation I can give you.

Reading is restricted to whatever the writer writes while watching something is simply observation. With video games, you are virtually experiencing the creation firsthand. I tell you, playing Goldeneye is a hellavalot more fullfilling than watching the movie. More so than reading about it as well.

Spoiler Alert!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Ads