LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    There's numerous issues here. I'll try to explain my perspective as a list.
    1. There has been many trying to connect violence and video games, yet each experiment assumes that voilent videogames create a violent person. They do not explore if a violent person is attracted to videogames.
    2. It takes away the personal responsibility of the individual commiting acts of violence.
    3. The media hype surrounding violent videogames has unjustly associated violence itself with computer games, despite there being no definitive proof in any situation (i.e. The media jump on the bandwagon of blaming GTA).
    4. If you notice, only guns are involved in the effects of computer games. Why don't we see more people breaking their heads on brick walls "because Mario can do it"?
    5. Those games were Mature ratings. Why are a) the parent's letting him play it and b) the parent's bought it for their child/the retailer allowed a teenager get hold of a mature title?
    6. Most consoles today have an in-built parental lock on them.
    7. The media effects theory has always been rought with criticisms.
    8. The kinds of people trying to "protect" children from this are the "moral right". I know one of the biggest lawyers involved in this kind of case - Jack Thompson whom wishes not only to "protect the children", but also to take down Take-Two, thus meaning nobody, no matter how old you are could play their games.
    9. Taking a single medium out of context and blaming it for something is not a good way to determine something. The single-cause idea denies the possibility that numerous factors, including other mediums, social situations and Global influences may have contributed to the killings.
    10. It demonises a sub-culture. Whereas in fact, the number of people doing these killings are significantly smaller than those who have bought/play the game/s.
    11. It implies that one's own perceptions of reality can be distorted to the extent whereby one cannot distinguish between fantasy and reality - it means that these people were under the influence of games.
    12. These problems are mostly associated with America/Canada. Therefore, there's got to be a factor relevant only to the US/Canada that other countries do not have. (If it really was the fault of the computer game, we would see shootings happening all around the globe, not isolated a few particular countries).

Anyway, that's all from the top of my head there.

Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.

Member #
    Friends
    For me video games provide a solution to my lust for violence without really being violent if anything. Ultimatley if you can't distinquish reality from fantasy, you needed help before the games.

Just tell your teacher to remember people were violent before video games.
    Last edited by En4Neo; 03-13-2007 at 08:01 PM.

The_Loose_Cannon
    i hate when liberals say that videogames promote violence. i dont believe in it whatsoever. i dont think that kids are violent because of video games at all. people are blaming outside circumstances for behavior.

however, i can say this. theres a reason there is a rating system on the things we do. but if i become a parent one day and that day will more than likely be soon, and say my kid comes up to me and he/she is 5 years old and she/he wants to play grand theft auto. as a resposible parent my automatic response would be NO primarily because he/she is too younge. BUT that doesnt stop my child from going over to little joeys across the street who has the game and playing it there? nope it doesnt. if i see that my child is a bright child and can differenciate between pointless violence in a well maintained enviornment/home then what harm does a cop killing car stealing game do to a 5 year old mind? they cant analyize it like the way we can.

think of loony tunes or rugrats or rockos modern life when we were kids. half the jokes we couldnt get but parents got them right away! the cartoons were funny but did we get the innuendos and the puns? no. now we do as we're older

Member #
    Friends
    If youre debating american violence then that makes it tough, cuz we cant say its things like violent video games, or death metal or something that came here first from another land, cuz the origin is not as bad as america...
    If the Xbox 360 console falls and hits someone, especially a small child, it could cause serious injury.

Member #
    Friends
    5981-2669-3238-7379
    I did my Senior Exit paper on this topic and, personally, I believe that it's society itself who promotes violent behavior; yet society fails to teach problem children where to stop. Most kids can separate reality for fantasy, there are only a few who cannot and video games are simply made the scapegoat for their parents inability to help their child. It's Pathetic.
    ~Well, it's been the ruin of many a poor boy and God, I know I'm one ~

Member #
    Friends
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    Nice opinions guys I see where you are coming from and I agree with all your statements. But cmon wiichat people I think we can do better than just 14 people posting in here. Again great comments and I wasnt just talking about violence in one country I was just taking in general. and en4neo someone did bring that up but thx for the idea.

Member #
    Friends
    Sorry, but everyone has covered this quite well and I agree with all of them.

Correlation is not causation. If a person commits violent acts after playing GTA, is it necessarily the game that caused the behavior? Sadly, I think many people who bash video games completely ignore the 3rd factor.

I believe the Columbine killers played video games before the massacre. From what I remember, the media blamed video games. But those dudes were nutty fruitcakes anyway.

Something I hate about GTA is how it gives video gaming a bad rep. People think all video games are ultra-violent because of one damn game. I mean, FFS, Mario is hardly a brutal game. There are plenty of games that do not have excessive amounts of violence.
    Now playing: Phoenix Wright, Picross
    Wishlist: No More Heroes, SSBB, Disaster: DOC, Fire Emblem DS, Tales of Symphonia 2
    UGa football (11-2): Sugar Bowl Champs

Ads