Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3099-0319-5478-2979

Do Games Promote Violence?

In my english class , the teacher had us do this debate thing on violence and what promotes it. Of course games were brought up and were said to be the main cause of Violence. Me personally im kind of on the fence on this one. I mean if you are well educated or even somewhat you should know a game is just a game. And some games show how bad violence can be some, not all of course. However I guess some games get people thinking of different situations they face in their life and how video games solve those problems.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by CantGetAWii; 03-13-2007 at 12:54 AM.

Dal
    Member #
    Friends
    8085-7630-2439-1842
    Well, if you see a guy holding a sword, sheild, and bow-and-arrow, shootin every body, slices them in halve, and breaking their pottery....then yes.

^Thanks Monsteroids^

NOO! THE BEES ARE COMING! Rabid_Toaster's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    well if a gamer went on a massacre people might say that it was because of the video games, but there has to be something else wrong with their head if they on on the massacre in the first place. i psyco maniac is a maniac with, or withought their video games.

i need a new sig!!! if you can be bothered, pm me and say that you can help me! (if you are good at making sigs lol)

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0001
    In various cases it has been proven that some games can provoke violence. One of the main games being the Grand Theft Auto series for both the playstation and xbox consoles.
    Last edited by Syntax; 03-13-2007 at 12:02 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    2025-2025-2025-2025
    personaly i was a very angry child and for me video games HELPED me vent some of that anger so i didnt use it on others. personaly if videogames cause you to go out and kill someone, its not theg games fault your ****ed up

KARPMOD SUCKS
    Moderator @ Wii Chat
    [PM]
    No, I will NOT add you to my friends list.
    [/SIZE]
    Mitch2025 - Stays crunchy, even in milk.

Thanks DBloke for the sig

I miss my weighted companion cube

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    If we're going to blame violent video games, why not blame other violent media too? What about films, music, books, or even the news? The Bible's pretty gruesome, there's massacres, rape, pillaging, torture, racism and much more! Bet most people wouldn't be so quick to ban that though (well, maybe Richard Dawkins fans... ).

Violent video games are just being used by lazy politicians (who've normally never played a game in their entire lives) to try and get themselves off the hook for their own failures, and unfortunately like all good politicians they've fooled just enough people to make their view credible. No need to bother trying to fix society's socio-economic problems when video games are a much easier target, since they're still relatively new and unfamiliar (especially to older people).

In a democracy that is truly free, people should be allowed to make their own informed choices, not have the Government tell them what is suitable for them. Remember, if you don't like something, you're allowed to not buy it.

I never add friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Tears the head off someone using his hair

I have been playing violent games all my life and I'm not violent

AM I ill kill anyone that disagrees

But on a normal note

Do movies promote violence
    Does the radio promote violence
    Does that cave wall promote violence
    This goes back years before video games where even thought of

Its the human mind that can tell if its realty or not
    I still say kids shouldn't play GTAs and manhunt because there aimed at a older crowd
    Most killing in games is to unrealistic

But admit it wii all have tryed VG moves

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Mau
    Member #
    Friends
    8829-6844-1117-2743
    Well, all I have to say is that if someone is ****ed up in the head, by playing GTA I'm pretty sure he will be satisfied by stealing more than 4 cars a day in the video game, or at least less violent. Video game goes far more than real life. But this is just my opinion.

Gaz
    Member #
    Friends
    2042-8451-0487-7303
    i had to study a study of this in media studys. and a film can promote violence just as much as a game, it's about the person not the nature of a game, if someone has the pyshco tendinces to perform violenct acts, then they will perform them wether or not a game promotes it.
    Mac Expert.

Member #
    Friends
    people want to ignore movies and try to make a dent in something rather new
    movies promote the most of anything if anything because their mostly real actors....
    not polygons scripted to do so and so
    you can get ideas on how to kill someone anywhere, we should blame places like those like Google and Yahoo, cause we can find it on there
    but hey, why stop there? its because of the internet you can go on google and yahoo, so lets attack the interent!!!
    but wait a second..internet was created for needs to communicate, so lets blame each other for promoting violence, but its our own reasoning to have those people in our lives so lets blame ourselves! and thats where it ends and beings, YOU.

Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

Ads