5 22.73%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

HD DVD Vs Blu-Ray

I hate Blu-ray...

I think it stems from the fact they couldn't even be bothered to spell blue correctly.

Maybe it's because I've just finished converting my video collection to DVD, and unlike HD DVD players Blu-ray players arenít guaranteed to play DVD's, meaning you need to replace your DVD collection with Blu-ray disks...

Maybe it's because, in spite of the fact that HD DVD is cheaper, capable of doing what it needs to do and backed by several major companies Sony still forces a format that could become the 21st centuries Betamax down are throats.

Now I may be wrong, I'm no computer expert after all, but unless someone can convince me otherwise I maintain HD DVD>Blu-ray (Price>Quality), and that HD DVD will win the format wars. This means that Blu-ray will remain expensive... so why put money into a system that uses an expensive data storage medium that may be abandoned my most companies.

To be honest I wouldn't invest in HD DVD at the moment for the same reason, I may be wrong and HD DVD might be obsolete... However, as mentioned above the superior Sony product (Betamax) was beaten by the inferior, cheaper product (VHS).

So, in an atempt to stimulate good, clean, healthy debate I ask you the reader: Which do you prefer, why, and which you think will succed?

Aka The_Toilet_of_Doom :P wolf231's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    With Blu-ray you can fit more info on the disc.

"When death is entreated, the battle is decided! " said by Liquid Snake

Member #
    Friends
    Ok first of all, Blu-Ray...since when in age do movies or EVEN VIDEO GAMES..take up to 50gb?! Since when? Did I fall asleep and wake up into the future because I sure don't remember that. HD DVD is cheaper and weaker, and Blu-Ray is move expenisve but more powerful, and usualy the Goliath wins over the mass audience since most people are middle-class (even though I would have to stick with DVD, my mom would flip if I tell her something else is taking over..she loved VHSs, she had it imprinted in her mind that VHSs were for now and forever) so Blu-Ray is that special cool thing we will see in your local Asian's house, while HD-DVD should come out for commoners.

Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

Member #
    Friends
    Teh rly, asians are 4 the win

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    This technology is based on the idea of High Definition. Most people don't own high-definition TV's yet, as they're too expensive. I've heard that the first lot of Blu-ray drives for PC's won't even play commercial blu-ray movies. They're for data storage only. Many people have stated that we're ok with just DVD anyway. Let's not forget some of the problems with having High definition technology - it's not backward compatible - as Dead Rising for the 360 has shown, some problems with playing on a regular definition TV are that text are blurred to the point that it cannot be read. Capcom cannot even provide a patch, instead insisting that you buy a HDTV instead.

Personally, I think as mass-media industry (gaming industry) shouldn't be pushing something that is way out of most people's budgets. All it will do is isolate some in society, whilst moving "gaming" into a more upper-middle class (Soz, slight Marxist perspective there).

In the end, I think they're both bull, but I'd have to go with HD DVD since Blu-ray is simply another one of Sony's attmepts to monopolise an industry (Ye, I know Microsoft has a monopoly too, but I think HD DVD is the lesser of two evils).

Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.

Member #
    Friends
    Well personaly I think that booth of them will fail, and for many reasons, 1st the masses don't have a HD tv because they are still very expensive, and I think that we haven't explored completely the dvd disc, the dvd has only apeared a few years ago, and even today most games don't use a complete dvd storage space and even in the future a game could be stored in 2 or 3 dvd's! Take Final Fantasy 7 for example, the lack of space on 1 cd didn't stop them. Now lets analise recording time, on my dvd recorder I take 5minutes to record a cd, and 30 minutes to record a DVD. how long will it take to record a blu-ray? 8 hours? maybe more...
    In the case of dvd players, many people have invested money on the dvd player, plus dvd movies, and now only a few years after it's gonna dissaper?? that wont be taken very lightly...
    Now let's consider the PS3 blu-ray, games are gonna be very expensive, x-box 360 games are allready about 80Ä! and another fact PS2 was very succeseful because it was easy and cheap to pirate! One just needed a swap disk or chip, and a dvd recorder. That aint gonna happen to the blu-ray because it's gonna too expensive, and although Sony claims that PS3 will last 10 years, in 5 years there is gonna lauch another x-box or nintendo, that will surpass the ps3 and they will have to make another one! and the "investment in the future" will go down the toilet!
    About the x-box 360 it's pretty mutch the same thing. expensive games, and a format ahead of it's time...

Member #
    Friends
    True the masses don't have HD TV... yet.

But it isn't the masses who decide who wins. The companies are anticipating that Joe Average will, in the near future, purchase a HD TV (This is an accurate assumption as most people will buy one to show off, then, when they're cheaper the other people will buy them to keep up). These people will then whant a data storage medium that can take advantage of the new technology, and with companies it goes Price>Speed of Production>Quality. I should know, I use to be Managing Director of a company*.
    Also, I doubt that both will co-exsist. The companies will choose one of them to be the industry standard and, as biology states, if two thing are attempting to fill the same niche, one of them will die out.

*OK, it wasn't much of a company... but then again I still go to school.

world crown chimpokomastr pizzaluvr's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by IagoKTN
    Well personaly I think that booth of them will fail, and for many reasons, 1st the masses don't have a HD tv because they are still very expensive, and I think that we haven't explored completely the dvd disc, the dvd has only apeared a few years ago, and even today most games don't use a complete dvd storage space and even in the future a game could be stored in 2 or 3 dvd's! Take Final Fantasy 7 for example, the lack of space on 1 cd didn't stop them. Now lets analise recording time, on my dvd recorder I take 5minutes to record a cd, and 30 minutes to record a DVD. how long will it take to record a blu-ray? 8 hours? maybe more...
    In the case of dvd players, many people have invested money on the dvd player, plus dvd movies, and now only a few years after it's gonna dissaper?? that wont be taken very lightly...
    Now let's consider the PS3 blu-ray, games are gonna be very expensive, x-box 360 games are allready about 80Ä! and another fact PS2 was very succeseful because it was easy and cheap to pirate! One just needed a swap disk or chip, and a dvd recorder. That aint gonna happen to the blu-ray because it's gonna too expensive, and although Sony claims that PS3 will last 10 years, in 5 years there is gonna lauch another x-box or nintendo, that will surpass the ps3 and they will have to make another one! and the "investment in the future" will go down the toilet!
    About the x-box 360 it's pretty mutch the same thing. expensive games, and a format ahead of it's time...
    if both of them fail... than wht will prevail

personally i think hddvd will win, because its alot cheaper, they use the same manufacturing procceses and same technology, while blu-crap uses whole new factories

oblivion for 360 was only 4 gbs, and that game was giant, by the time a company fills up 25 gbs the next console will be out

and btw blu-crap has 25 gbs not 50 gbs, its only 50gbs if its dual layer, which they will probably progress too
    Spoiler Alert!

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Cant say untill I see them working

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!