LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    It's more the fact that people still use derrogatory language like that without thinking that worries me. It shows he either really feels aggression towards homosexuals or he just doesn't realise how offensive it could be.

Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.

2. Ads

Gaz
    Member #
    Friends
    2042-8451-0487-7303
    at the end of the day, people still say the word, and the chances of people stopping anytime soon is small.
    Mac Expert.

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz
    at the end of the day, people still say the word, and the chances of people stopping anytime soon is small.
    But the real question is should it?

Status Quo is what is, not what should be. People should change, obviously, it's not always for the better, but that's what we should be striving towards.

Heck, if it was you who was being persecuted for whatever non-logical irrational reasoning, then surely you'd want society to change too? Why should homosexuals feel different?

Gaz
    Member #
    Friends
    2042-8451-0487-7303
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall7
    But the real question is should it?

Status Quo is what is, not what should be. People should change, obviously, it's not always for the better, but that's what we should be striving towards.

Heck, if it was you who was being persecuted for whatever non-logical irrational reasoning, then surely you'd want society to change too? Why should homosexuals feel different?
    it's someone's sterotype of gay people, and he's not actually doing anything wrong, i could go out into the street and say niger this niger that, and i'm not doing anything wrong, but if i come across a coloured person there going to take it differently arn't they...
    the law can't do anything about me saying a word, only a demographic of people.

you could also argue the context as to which it is used... but i wouldn't advise it.
    Mac Expert.

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    it's someone's sterotype of gay people, and he's not actually doing anything wrong, i could go out into the street and say niger this niger that, and i'm not doing anything wrong, but if i come across a coloured person there going to take it differently arn't they...
    One, it's not a stereotype, it's a derrogatory word to say homosexual (and since it's derogatory, it's usually said either with ignorance or with aggressive intention). And yes, going around saying "nigger" is bad, not because of the idea that you mean exactly what you say, but because it shows your ignorance of the history of the word. Fact of the matter, is that despite the guy not actually refering to individuals, it's still offensive to say it about a group of people, indeed, possibly more offensive.

the law can't do anything about me saying a word, only a demographic of people.
    So if someone came up to you and said stuff to you, you'd be fine with it? Regardless of it's intent or meaning? I doubt it. Baring in mind, that you were just discussing 1st, the fact that it won't change, then the fact that it's all about the person who is the target of the word, and now you're talking about the freedom for people that use it. Besides, there is something called a "hate-crime" that may just be able to do something (obviously depends on the situation).

you could also argue the context as to which it is used... but i wouldn't advise it.
    It wasn't meant affectionately. It wasn't meant in the same way as the word "bitch" has become (taken back by women to mean a strong willed woman who knows what she wants). It was part of his ideology, one that is archaic and out-of-date.

Of course, sensoring isn't going to do anything but cover it up. The issue should be dealt with by explaining to him exactly what it means to others, and why he shouldn't use the word itself.
    Last edited by Squall7; 09-08-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Gaz
    Member #
    Friends
    2042-8451-0487-7303
    Of course, sensoring isn't going to do anything but cover it up. The issue should be dealt with by explaining to him exactly what it means to others, and why he shouldn't use the word itself.
    IF he is ignorant enough to use the word in the first place, you think he is going to change because of some peoples opinions, i'm sure he is aware of what it means to people.
    Mac Expert.

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    IF he is ignorant enough to use the word in the first place, you think he is going to change because of some peoples opinions, i'm sure he is aware of what it means to people.
    He will if it means he keeps his job. The dollar sign will make you do virtually anything. It's the effect on most people when they are brought up in a capitalist country.

Also, being seen as a homophobic, xenophobic or racist is usually enough to deter anyone not signed up with the BNP.

I would have said miscogenist as well, but then unfortunately it isn't so much of an issue. Look at Schwarzeneggar, he was reportedly a massive miscogenist, yet he's still in a position of power, and respected (by some, long-term fans and supporters and such, myself not being one of them).

Gaz
    Member #
    Friends
    2042-8451-0487-7303
    He will if it means he keeps his job. The dollar sign will make you do virtually anything. It's the effect on most people when they are brought up in a capitalist country.
    if he has kept it in this long about his feelings, then i'm sure he could do it longer, not actually going to change how he feels, so whats hte point, just be open.
    Mac Expert.

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    if he has kept it in this long about his feelings, then i'm sure he could do it longer, not actually going to change how he feels, so whats hte point, just be open.
    So because you think he wouldn't change, there's no reason to try?

By that logic, why do people plead for their lives if there's a gun held to their head? Surely that's just a waste of time?!

Gaz
    Member #
    Friends
    2042-8451-0487-7303
    So because you think he wouldn't change, there's no reason to try?

By that logic, why do people plead for their lives if there's a gun held to their head? Surely that's just a waste of time?!
    ooooooooook i can't be arsed to argue his case anymore, changing one mans opinion on TV ain't going to do jack all to the country, so why bother.
    Mac Expert.

Ads