Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0001

Growing Conflicts With Iran

For those of you who have been keeping up with world news and various related articles you may want to take a look at this.

French Foreign Minister Warns Country Of A Possibility Of Going To War With Iran

The French foreign minister, Bernard Kouchner, said yesterday his country had to prepare for the possibility of war against Iran over its nuclear programme, but added that he did not believe any such action was imminent.

Seeking to ratchet up the pressure on Iran, Mr Kouchner also told RTL radio and LCI television that the world's main powers should use further sanctions to show they were serious about stopping Tehran getting nuclear weapons, and said France had asked French firms not to bid for tenders in the Islamic Republic.

"We must prepare for the worst," Mr Kouchner said in an interview, adding: "The worst, sir, is war."

Asked about the warning, he said it was normal to prepare for various eventualities. "We are preparing ourselves by trying to put together plans that are the chiefs of staff's prerogative [but] that is not about to happen tomorrow," he added.

Tehran insists it only wants to master nuclear technology to produce electricity, but it has yet to comply with UN demands that it suspend uranium enrichment and other sensitive work that could potentially be used in producing weapons.

Mr Kouchner's comments follow a statement by the French president, Nicolas Sarkozy, who said last month that a diplomatic push by the world's powers was the only alternative to "an Iranian bomb or the bombing of Iran".

Mr Kouchner said France had asked its biggest companies, including the oil giant Total and the gas firm Gaz de France, not to bid for projects in Iran. "It is a way of signalling that we are serious," he said. In addition, Paris and Berlin were preparing possible EU economic sanctions against Tehran, he said.
    I'll try and find more articles on this if possible.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    so in conclusion invade all of the middle east and GG world problems?

Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0001
    Pretty much. Hopefully this conflict can be dealt with without the use of military force.

"I do not know what World War Three will be fought with but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones"

- Einstein

They call me Hammy! blueovalboy7's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Great, more problems with the Middle East, at least it isn't the U.S. this time, but most likely we'll get into it if there is military action against Iran. Though I can't exactly say I want Iran with nukes at their disposal.

Member #
    Friends
    6636-1630-0874-1365
    Give each world power 1 nuclear bomb..
    If they attempt to Nuke you just Nuke them back.

End of Story.
    Arguing Over The Internet Is Like Participating In The Special Olympics, Even If You Win You Are Still Retarded.
    Super Smash Bros Brawl:
    2320-5790-2320

Mario Strikers friend code:
    494028-363289

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Right...

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0001
    Give each world power 1 nuclear bomb..
    If they attempt to Nuke you just Nuke them back.

End of Story.
    That will just create more problems in the world which to be honest we don't need right now. Also the targets of these attacks would most likely be based on attacking the capital of a country so many innocent civilians would lose their lives if that was to happen.

Back on topic..

Russia has asked that the U.S doesn't step in and use military force. Right now I believe both Russia and France are trying to deal with the situation more calmly instead of going in and using military force.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Syntax
    Back on topic..

Russia has asked that the U.S doesn't step in and use military force. Right now I believe both Russia and France are trying to deal with the situation more calmly instead of going in and using military force.
    That would be a good thing, less money spent on foreign affairs would most definitely be beneficial for the U.S. and finding a peaceful resolution is never a bad thing either.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0001
    Never said it was a bad thing.

Here's the other article..

MOSCOW, Sept 18--Russian deputy foreign minister Alexander Losyukov has warned that any US military intervention in Iran would be a "political error" that would have "catastrophic" consequences.

Losyukov's comments in an interview published Tuesday came after French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner warned that the world should prepare for a possible conflict over Iran's nuclear program.

"Generally speaking, bombings of Iran would be a bad move that would end with catastrophic consequences," Losyukov told the daily Vremya Novosti.

Losyukov said Moscow remains "convinced that there is no military solution to the Iranian problem", calling a military solution as "impossible".

"Besides, it is quite clear that there is no military solution to the Iraq problem either. But in the case of Iran everything could be even more complicated," he said.

The deputy minister said the use of force would only "worsen the situation in the Middle East" and "bring a very negative reaction from the Muslim world".

"Of course I cannot know what is being thought in the United States," Losyukov said, but their military intervention in Iran "would be a big diplomatic and political error".

French Prime Minister Francois Fillon said Monday tensions with Iran were now "extreme", heightening a diplomatic storm caused by Kouchner's war warning on Sunday.

Mohamed ElBaradei, chief UN nuclear inspector, condemned France's stance and urged Iran's harshest critics to learn the lessons of Iraq and not attack Tehran.

He said on Monday that such options should only be considered as a last resort and if authorized by the UN Security Council.

ElBaradei also called on nations critical of his nuclear deal with Tehran to "hold their horses'' until the end of the year.

ElBaradei, speaking Monday outside a 144-nation meeting of his International Atomic Energy Agency, invoked the example of Iraq in urging an end to the threats of force against Iran.

Meanwhile, Austrian Foreign Minister Ursula Plassnik condemned the comments of her French counterpart Bernard Kouchner.

"My colleague Kouchner is the only one who can tell you what he meant. (But) I can't comprehend why he is resorting to such martial rhetoric at this time," Plassnik said on the sidelines of an IAEA meeting in Vienna.

"I am for continued work towards a negotiated solution. I'm convinced that a negotiated solution can be reached," she said.

On Monday, US Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman said the US remained "determined to use diplomacy" to resolve the Iranian nuclear standoff.

"We have said all along the United States government position has been that we are determined to use diplomacy to resolve this matter," Bodman told reporters at a meeting in Vienna of the IAEA.

US Defense Secretary Robert Gates had said Sunday that the US would stick to diplomatic and economic pressure to force Iran to halt its nuclear drive, but "all options are on the table".

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Hmm, well at least the US rep said they are "determined to use diplomacy to resolve this matter" there is hope, for our politicians

Ads