LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42
  1. #31
    Super Moderator Eagles's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    22447
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    1,877
    Friends
    28
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5207-2685-9420-8549
    I'm unpleasantly surprised that many still believe Global Warming is nothing to be worried about. We are already starting to see the effects, ocean temperature is rising the Great Barrier Reef has already began to seriously bleach.

    Climate models referenced by the The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change project that global surface temperatures are likely to increase by 1.1 to 6.4 °C between 1990 and 2100.The range of values results from the use of differing scenarios of future greenhouse gas emissions as well as models with differing climate sensitivity. Although most studies focus on the period up to 2100, warming and sea level rise are expected to continue for more than a millennium even if greenhouse gas levels are stabilized. This reflects the large heat capacity of the oceans.

    An increase in global temperatures is expected to cause other changes, including sea level rise, increased intensity of extreme weather events, and changes in the amount and pattern of precipitation. Other effects of global warming include changes in agricultural yields, glacier retreat, species extinctions and increases in the ranges of disease vectors.

    Quote Originally Posted by DRMARIO
    We've had these natural cycles ever since the Earth was created. So we're going to have a slightly hotter climate for a while, it's happened in the past, and we've survived it.
    It's definately not as simple as that. Yes we do have temperature cycles, but CO2 levels have never been this high. Increased CO2 concentration leads to more heat being trapped yada, yada, yada... If we continue to let this happen it won't just be a "slightly hotter" climate for a while. The potential hazards, rising sea levels ect. are to dangerous to ignore.

    Global temperature graph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:I...ure_Record.png

    CO2 concentration graph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...on_Dioxide.png

  2. #32
    Bleach & Heroes fan. Byuakuya's Avatar
    Member #
    13437
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Soul Society
    Posts
    6,251
    Friends
    8
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    I am pretty sure that there will be another World War. The way that things are going with the countries at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if all hell breaks loose pretty soon. I really hate war. Why can't these important "leaders" just put aside their differences and realise the one thing that we all have in common: We are all Human beings.

    Regarding the Global Warming scare: We cannot do anything to suppress this event unless all of the countries of the world participate. Right now, that doesn't appear to be the case.
    Last edited by Byuakuya; 09-29-2007 at 04:34 AM.

    The key to immortality is first living a life
    worth remembering. - Bruce Lee


    PSN ID: Byuakuya


  3. #33
    Controversial. DRMARIO's Avatar
    Member #
    40
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,885
    Friends
    6
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    EDIT:
    Sorry, double post
    Last edited by DRMARIO; 09-29-2007 at 07:37 AM.

    Enoch was right.


  4. #34
    Controversial. DRMARIO's Avatar
    Member #
    40
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,885
    Friends
    6
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles
    I'm unpleasantly surprised that many still believe Global Warming is nothing to be worried about. We are already starting to see the effects, ocean temperature is rising the Great Barrier Reef has already began to seriously bleach.

    Climate models referenced by the The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change project that global surface temperatures are likely to increase by 1.1 to 6.4 C between 1990 and 2100.The range of values results from the use of differing scenarios of future greenhouse gas emissions as well as models with differing climate sensitivity. Although most studies focus on the period up to 2100, warming and sea level rise are expected to continue for more than a millennium even if greenhouse gas levels are stabilized. This reflects the large heat capacity of the oceans.

    An increase in global temperatures is expected to cause other changes, including sea level rise, increased intensity of extreme weather events, and changes in the amount and pattern of precipitation. Other effects of global warming include changes in agricultural yields, glacier retreat, species extinctions and increases in the ranges of disease vectors.



    It's definately not as simple as that. Yes we do have temperature cycles, but CO2 levels have never been this high. Increased CO2 concentration leads to more heat being trapped yada, yada, yada... If we continue to let this happen it won't just be a "slightly hotter" climate for a while. The potential hazards, rising sea levels ect. are to dangerous to ignore.

    Global temperature graph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:I...ure_Record.png

    CO2 concentration graph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...on_Dioxide.png
    The increase in co2 is ridiculously small compared to other gases in our atmosphere. Heck, CO2 has a lower percentage than ARGON. It's around 0.04% of co2 in our atmosphere.
    The sea releases millions of gigatonnes of co2. co2 occurs naturally, and no way is it contributing to global warming.

    It IS a natural cycle. Yes, the heat will increase, and there will be devastating effects, but it'll end..soon enough.

    Enoch was right.


  5. #35
    Super Ninjarator Foxy's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    20731
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,700
    Friends
    22
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3881-9484-9041-5848
    Quote Originally Posted by ARav989
    Global Warming is nothing to me.

    I believe a Third World War will take place in our lifetime. Maybe nukes?

    The end of the Mayan calender= mass extinction?
    BULLSH_T
    I'd like to buy a vowel
    I really doubt this will be the case. If anything will cause mass extinction, It'd be human cause. biological warfare/nuclear warfare.

    EDIT: reply to Trevpimp.
    I remember seeing on the Discovery Channel that Scientists are estimating the next astroid to come close to hitting Earth, or actually hitting us, is 2027,8,9. ( i forget which)
    Bullsh*t you say?

    It is not only the Mayan that believed this, Egyptian also.

    The calender will reset but what we need to think about is if anything happens on that date. The Mayans have been right before I think. Look at the dinosaurs, a mass extinction happened then. For the better? Yes.

    Nothing may happen but ends lead to beginnings.

  6. #36
    Super Ninjarator Foxy's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    20731
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,700
    Friends
    22
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3881-9484-9041-5848
    Quote Originally Posted by ARav989
    Global Warming is nothing to me.

    I believe a Third World War will take place in our lifetime. Maybe nukes?

    The end of the Mayan calender= mass extinction?
    BULLSH_T
    I'd like to buy a vowel
    I really doubt this will be the case. If anything will cause mass extinction, It'd be human cause. biological warfare/nuclear warfare.

    EDIT: reply to Trevpimp.
    I remember seeing on the Discovery Channel that Scientists are estimating the next astroid to come close to hitting Earth, or actually hitting us, is 2027,8,9. ( i forget which)
    Sorry about the double post.

    Accident.

  7. #37
    Super Moderator Eagles's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    22447
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    1,877
    Friends
    28
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5207-2685-9420-8549
    Quote Originally Posted by DRMARIO
    The increase in co2 is ridiculously small compared to other gases in our atmosphere. Heck, CO2 has a lower percentage than ARGON. It's around 0.04% of co2 in our atmosphere.
    The sea releases millions of gigatonnes of co2. co2 occurs naturally, and no way is it contributing to global warming.

    It IS a natural cycle. Yes, the heat will increase, and there will be devastating effects, but it'll end..soon enough.
    Your numbers are correct but your conclusions from these numbers couldn't be further from the truth.

    Here is an excert from Tim Flannery's (Australian of the Year) We Are The Weather Makers (Page 4), It's a bit length and goes slightly off topic but it provides a good explanation. A great read if anyone was interested!:

    ...Some things about Climate Change are certain. It results from a special kind of air pollution. We know exactly the size of our atmosphere and the volume of pollutants pouring into it. The story I want to tell here is about the impacts of some of these pollutants (known as greenhouse gases) on all life on Eath.

    For the last 10,000 years Earth's thermostat, or climate control, has been set to an average surface temperature of around 14 degrees celsius. On the whole this has suited human beings splendidly, and we have been able to organise ourselves in a most impressive manner-planting crops, domesticating animals and building cities.

    Finally, over the past century, we have created a truly global civilisation. Given that in all of Earth's history the only other creatures able to organise themselves on a similar scale are ants, bees and termites-which are tiny in comparison to us and have small resource requirements-this is quite an achievement.

    Earth's thermostat is a complex and delicate mechanism, at the heart of which lies carbon dioxide, a colourless and odourless gas formed from one carbon and two oxygen atoms.

    Carbon Dioxide plays a critical role in maintaining the balance necessary to all life. It is also a waste product of the fossil fuels-coal, oil and gas-that almost every person on the planet uses for heat, transport or other energy needs. On dead planets such as Venus and Mars, carbon dioxide makes up most of the atmosphere, and it would do so here if living things and Earth's processes didn't keep it within bounds. Our planet's rocks, soils and waters are packed with carbon atoms itching to combine with oxygen and get airbourne. Carbon is everywhere.

    For the past 10,000 years CO2 has made up around three parts per 10,000 in Earth's atmosphere. That's a small amount-0.03 per cent-yet it has a big influence on temperature. We create CO2 every time we burn fossil fuels to drive a car, cook a meal or turn on a light, and the gas we create lasts around a century in the atmosphere. So the proportion of CO2 in the air we breath is now rapidly increasingm and this is causing our planet to war.

  8. #38
    Is A Diddy Kong User. Fire Flower's Avatar
    Member #
    24018
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London Ontario
    Posts
    884
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2617-4361-9813-7619
    Quote Originally Posted by Byuakuya
    I am pretty sure that there will be another World War. The way that things are going with the countries at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if all hell breaks loose pretty soon. I really hate war. Why can't these important "leaders" just put aside their differences and realise the one thing that we all have in common: We are all Human beings.

    Regarding the Global Warming scare: We cannot do anything to suppress this event unless all of the countries of the world participate. Right now, that doesn't appear to be the case.
    Exactly. If we can live with pets. A dog or a cat. A whole different speicies.
    We can live with our own species. Humans. That's what we are.



    This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in 1 seconds.


  9. #39
    Controversial. DRMARIO's Avatar
    Member #
    40
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,885
    Friends
    6
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles
    Your numbers are correct but your conclusions from these numbers couldn't be further from the truth.

    Here is an excert from Tim Flannery's (Australian of the Year) We Are The Weather Makers (Page 4), It's a bit length and goes slightly off topic but it provides a good explanation. A great read if anyone was interested!:

    ...Some things about Climate Change are certain. It results from a special kind of air pollution. We know exactly the size of our atmosphere and the volume of pollutants pouring into it. The story I want to tell here is about the impacts of some of these pollutants (known as greenhouse gases) on all life on Eath.

    For the last 10,000 years Earth's thermostat, or climate control, has been set to an average surface temperature of around 14 degrees celsius. On the whole this has suited human beings splendidly, and we have been able to organise ourselves in a most impressive manner-planting crops, domesticating animals and building cities.

    Finally, over the past century, we have created a truly global civilisation. Given that in all of Earth's history the only other creatures able to organise themselves on a similar scale are ants, bees and termites-which are tiny in comparison to us and have small resource requirements-this is quite an achievement.

    Earth's thermostat is a complex and delicate mechanism, at the heart of which lies carbon dioxide, a colourless and odourless gas formed from one carbon and two oxygen atoms.

    Carbon Dioxide plays a critical role in maintaining the balance necessary to all life. It is also a waste product of the fossil fuels-coal, oil and gas-that almost every person on the planet uses for heat, transport or other energy needs. On dead planets such as Venus and Mars, carbon dioxide makes up most of the atmosphere, and it would do so here if living things and Earth's processes didn't keep it within bounds. Our planet's rocks, soils and waters are packed with carbon atoms itching to combine with oxygen and get airbourne. Carbon is everywhere.

    For the past 10,000 years CO2 has made up around three parts per 10,000 in Earth's atmosphere. That's a small amount-0.03 per cent-yet it has a big influence on temperature. We create CO2 every time we burn fossil fuels to drive a car, cook a meal or turn on a light, and the gas we create lasts around a century in the atmosphere. So the proportion of CO2 in the air we breath is now rapidly increasingm and this is causing our planet to war.

    That's the typical scientist nowadays!!
    I'm sure you understand already, I don't agree with this theory.

    It is CLEAR that there is NO correlation, WHATSOEVER between the increase in C02 and our Temperatures over the last several years!
    Whereas, if we compare a graph to show sunspot activity, and a graph showing our temperature, they follow an extremely similair pattern.

    I'm sorry, but we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

    Enoch was right.


  10. #40
    Super Moderator Eagles's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    22447
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    1,877
    Friends
    28
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5207-2685-9420-8549
    Quote Originally Posted by DRMARIO
    I'm sorry, but we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
    That's fine with me

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts