Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3881-9484-9041-5848
    Quote Originally Posted by JAKE196
    we kicked the brits asses lolz!

j/k i live in America but i was born in England.
    You 'kicked our asses'?

Around that period of time it was mainly America 'Kicking its own ass'

They call me Hammy! blueovalboy7's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by JAKE196
    we kicked the brits asses lolz!

j/k i live in America but i was born in England.
    As long as people aren't serious when posting things like this there won't be any issues. I think that there were a lot of mistakes made in the past, but no reason to dwell on them any longer. The United States, way back in the mid 1700s got tired of British rule so they rebelled and some how won a war against, at the time, the greatest military superpower at the time, with some outside help that is. I feel no resentment towards Britain, I did not live during that time period and I can only base my opinions on the present and at the moment I have no problems with any other countries as a whole. Our independence day has more to it than what I stated, but essentially the past is the past and the future is more important in my opinion. So lets just attempt to keep things on a relatively even keel so the conflicts can be kept to a minimum. Starting with our reduced presence in Iraq and the middle east.

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain
    Of course, what they did back then is inexcusable, and we do indeed need to make sure it doesn't happen again, but any apology I make is just a token meaningless one from someone who was never involved. I'm not responsible for my ancestor's actions. Modern society seems to have a fixation on blame, but rather than just token apologies, perhaps we could do more to help the third world by actually doing something about their plight, e.g. by lifting unfair trading quotas and tariffs which keep rich countries rich and poor countries poor.
    Very true.

Although I would argue that even the fact that you're prepared to admit to something you could not have done anything about says something. Also, let's not forget that people generally like to organise things into nice neat boxes. We may see that we are all individuals in our society, but yet we get images of any other country being the exact same thing as any other image from that country - improverished, desert-like, pre-industrial etc... Is it not possible that other countries may see Britain as still a colonial power, drinking tea, having a stiff upper lip and saying "Tally ho" instead of "bye"? Heck, I would also argue that many (somewhat ignorant) British people would brandish other cultures with a single brush, and not bother altering their perceptions even if there were people from another culture saying "We had nothing to do with it, and we're on your side here", much like the media backlash against the 7/7 bombings. Yet racial crime rose, despite many Muslim autorities were actively pushing themselves away from being associated with a religion that kills.

Quote Originally Posted by blueovalboy7
    As long as people aren't serious when posting things like this there won't be any issues. I think that there were a lot of mistakes made in the past, but no reason to dwell on them any longer. The United States, way back in the mid 1700s got tired of British rule so they rebelled and some how won a war against, at the time, the greatest military superpower at the time, with some outside help that is. I feel no resentment towards Britain, I did not live during that time period and I can only base my opinions on the present and at the moment I have no problems with any other countries as a whole. Our independence day has more to it than what I stated, but essentially the past is the past and the future is more important in my opinion. So lets just attempt to keep things on a relatively even keel so the conflicts can be kept to a minimum. Starting with our reduced presence in Iraq and the middle east.
    I think America split away from Britain because of taxes. It didn't like the fact that they were still paying taxes, but didn't see all that much of the benefits. Also, wasn't it France that helped America out with that one, and then gave you the statue of Liberty? I remember reading a while ago about an agreement saying that if England or France were involved in a war, America would aid them, but if they were in a war with each other, that America would come out on Britain's side. Personally, I worry if America still honoured that agreement, even if Britain became a fascist state...

Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.

They call me Hammy! blueovalboy7's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall7
    I think America split away from Britain because of taxes. It didn't like the fact that they were still paying taxes, but didn't see all that much of the benefits. Also, wasn't it France that helped America out with that one, and then gave you the statue of Liberty? I remember reading a while ago about an agreement saying that if England or France were involved in a war, America would aid them, but if they were in a war with each other, that America would come out on Britain's side. Personally, I worry if America still honoured that agreement, even if Britain became a fascist state...
    That's what I was saying in a less detailed way, and yes we received outside help (aka France) and yes they were the ones to provide us with the Statue of Liberty. I was tired and not feeling too great so I didn't feel like getting into the details. As for your concern I don't think we as a country would go back on that unless Britain threatened our way of life (attempting to think like our legislature does).

Ads