Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT]
    my 8525 WM5 Phone (now flashed to WM6) browses great using the integrated Mobile IE (esp. on 3G networks).
    Right, because it's running a Windows OS. Just the way Microsoft wants it. A lot more phones now are running Linux, and then there are other OSes in-use such as Symbian, PalmOS, etc. And your Wii runs Opera. These non-MS OSes aren't even going to run IE so every user out there using IE is effectively voting for an IE-only web, since websites track the statistics of what browsers their visitors are using, and if enough use IE then they don't bother using standards. Instead, they continue to use code that only works in IE.

Basically, you're playing into Microsoft's hand. They want to control the web by controlling the content, and if enough of the web can only be viewed in IE, then that will force people to use devices (PDAs, phones, game consoles, media centers, cars, fridges, etc) that run Microsoft OSes. Which means more money in their pocket.

People wonder how Microsoft profits from IE since they give it away. Well, there you are. Just convoluted enough to go right over the heads of most consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    I would also recommend FireFox. I find it to be a much better browser than IE.

The key to immortality is first living a life
    worth remembering. - Bruce Lee

PSN ID: Byuakuya

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    I too recommend Firefox. Internet Explorer just loads way too slow on my computer, plus Firefox has more efficient features, and more features in general.

Gikoku ハラカミ
    --------------------------

--------------------------
    Don't think. Feel...
    It's like a finger pointing to the moon.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory.
    ~Bruce Lee, Wing Chun.

Member #
    Friends
    FYI, I've been in the industry for 20+ years, I'm on my 3rd company (the last was acquired by MPS Group in 2000), I have 2 tech patents, have been published, etc., so I really don't need a dissertation.

I see from your avatar and sig you're a supporter of open source solutions and that's terrific, however my current business and product delivery requires I use IE as a browser solution (as I indicated).

The phone comment was an aside that it works, and not meant as commentary on Microsoft's business model - to be honest, I don't care how much revenue they generate as long as it doesn't conflict with my business targets (which are only in place to support my personal goals). I'd consider my business acumen pretty reasonable, so MS's underlying strategy (whether I support it or not) isn't a mystery to me.

I honestly hope your support of open source (and/or your lack of support for MS) make things happen for you! In the end, I don't think anyone's life should be driven by business decisions being made over at Redmond - I'd much rather be fooling around with my car or at the beach

Take care ~

DT
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    6390-2874-0535-4544
    Flock is like a modded version of Firefox with more features and faster browsing. Try it.
    Or Safari? If you have a Mac.
    I think they have it for Windows too, but it's probably buggy.

Well do you?

Member #
    Friends
    2882-9149-7173-3516
    firefox for life, yo.

be daring, be different, be impractical,
    be anything that will assert integrity of purpose
    and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers,
    the creatures of commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Ads