LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    Senior Member Skippy's Avatar
    Member #
    10574
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,191
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    If we fail to learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it...

  2. Ads


  3. #12
    Shmunior Member Chewy's Avatar
    Member #
    20268
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    798
    Friends
    7
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4482-2919-0549-8845
    There are way too many people in America for a communism to work. People are way too lazy as well.

    Communism would only work in small, close communities with people who actually cared about each other, not in a whole country with several big cities in which you don't know a vast majority of the people there.
    You want to sit down but you sold your chair.
    So you just stand there.

    Xbox Live Gamertag: RizGiz

  4. #13
    Anglophobiphile Brawny's Avatar
    Member #
    8228
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    Posts
    6,546
    Friends
    24
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    laziness is the bane of capitalism... what kind of argument is THAT chewy?

    You're thinking of Classical Republicanism...

  5. #14
    Shmunior Member Chewy's Avatar
    Member #
    20268
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    798
    Friends
    7
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4482-2919-0549-8845
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawny
    laziness is the bane of capitalism... what kind of argument is THAT chewy?

    You're thinking of Classical Republicanism...

    I'm not saying that capitalism is the way to go or anything, I'm just saying that communism wouldn't work in the US.

    Theres simply no motivation in communism so of course there are going to be tons of lazy people doing the bare minimum, but in a capitalism if you work harder you are rewarded more.
    You want to sit down but you sold your chair.
    So you just stand there.

    Xbox Live Gamertag: RizGiz

  6. #15
    That Canucks Fan Syntax's Avatar
    Member #
    10388
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5,358
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0001
    The fact of the matter is that there is no way in hell that the United States would ever resort to becoming a communist state. Also from to understanding the US during the time period of the 1900's to present day today has been the leading country which has strongly opposed communist states and dictators. Now before someone brings up China and its ties with the US it has come to my attention that the only reason that the US doesn't necessarily oppose them is due to their trading ties with the country.

    Suggested fictional novel about communism:

    1984

  7. #16
    Bonds Passes Hank 8/7/07 FWELR's Avatar
    Member #
    17010
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,614
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5926-3597-6847-7270
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy
    I'm not saying that capitalism is the way to go or anything, I'm just saying that communism wouldn't work in the US.

    Theres simply no motivation in communism so of course there are going to be tons of lazy people doing the bare minimum, but in a capitalism if you work harder you are rewarded more.
    This is the one great benefit to capitalism. However, the negatives (homelessness, extreme rich, monopolies, etc.) make me hate it. For example, if you're born poor, you're supposed to have the ability to grow out of it and become rich, but in America, we live by the phrases:

    "It takes money to make money"

    and

    "It's not what you know, it's who you know."

    So, the American Dream rarely applies. Communism, if and when done right, is far more superior to the best Capitalist state possible.
    Join the Buy BWii Campaign and Buy BWii!
    Spoiler Alert!

  8. #17
    Shmunior Member Chewy's Avatar
    Member #
    20268
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    798
    Friends
    7
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4482-2919-0549-8845
    Quote Originally Posted by FWELR

    So, the American Dream rarely applies. Communism, if and when done right, is far more superior to the best Capitalist state possible.
    When its done right its superior, but the problem is that it can never be done right in this world, especially in this country.

    Really, no government that exists today could work perfectly in America, there are just way too much people so there are bound to be groups of people underrepresented, and there are bound to be criminals and lazy people.
    You want to sit down but you sold your chair.
    So you just stand there.

    Xbox Live Gamertag: RizGiz

  9. #18
    The Wookie Moose's Avatar
    Member #
    29406
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    229
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    1606-9696-7776-6446
    Theoretically, Communisum is the best form of government.

    In reality, it will never work. Why?

    Communism works well in small groups. A country the size of america? forget it. never going to happen. Also, Human nature is an important factor. If you're at the top of the "food chain", are you going to give it all up to be equal to the bum you saw on the street corner just the other day? fat chance.

    America has adopted communistic style programs, but that was when the country was in dire need, such as during the great depression. Other than that, America will never be a purely communistic state.

    And the argument that if you work harder, you will be rewarded more isn't necessarily true. you can work damn hard for the rest of your life, and never make any headway. just like the majority of the immigrants in the early 1900's.

    There has only ever been one true case of a rags to riches story. and that was Andrew Carnegie, creator of Carnegie Steel. He literally came to this country with NOTHING and ended up owning about $500 million, which today is about $120 BILLION.

    But yeah, i got off topic. to recap:

    Communism = Failure. Not even Cuba is purely communistic. It has a mixed Economy. So does China. The one pure Communistic country left is North Korea, and it's in shambles.
    EA Persona: JohnPetrucci
    BWii FC: 210 568 264 047 PM me if you add me

    Newest Wii Purchase: Wii Zapper/Links Crossbow Training, Super Mario Strikers Charged

  10. #19
    Retro Gamer KrisKhaos's Avatar
    Member #
    32382
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    319
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    Quote Originally Posted by FWELR
    This is the one great benefit to capitalism. However, the negatives (homelessness, extreme rich, monopolies, etc.) make me hate it. For example, if you're born poor, you're supposed to have the ability to grow out of it and become rich, but in America, we live by the phrases:

    "It takes money to make money"

    and

    "It's not what you know, it's who you know."

    So, the American Dream rarely applies. Communism, if and when done right, is far more superior to the best Capitalist state possible.
    I agree the Capitalist system is by far flawed, but again Communism has severe drawbacks as well, namely corruption as mentioned previously.

    I suggest you search out alternatives, such as Participatory economics for example. The system is somewhat like Marx's system, however the system has been ratified in greater detail and better designed to counter corruption. There are several books on this economic hypothesis that might interest you. WikiPedia has some information on Participatory economics, and while it's information is decent it still lacks a required level of detail. [Participatory economics Link]

    I would have posted this earlier however I couldn't recall the name within a valid time frame, so here it is now. It will be interesting to see what others think about this economic system, and see what others could think up that could improve upon it's concept.

    It would also be nice to hear what ingenious potential methods could be applied to correct our existing system. Regardless of how much better something may be, however until the stock market collapses and the capitalist system has proven to fail, we are stuck with it at least in the States.

    "Real Men Wii Standing Up"

  11. #20
    Shmunior Member Chewy's Avatar
    Member #
    20268
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    798
    Friends
    7
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4482-2919-0549-8845
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose
    Theoretically, Communisum is the best form of government.

    In reality, it will never work. Why?

    Communism works well in small groups. A country the size of america? forget it. never going to happen. Also, Human nature is an important factor. If you're at the top of the "food chain", are you going to give it all up to be equal to the bum you saw on the street corner just the other day? fat chance.

    America has adopted communistic style programs, but that was when the country was in dire need, such as during the great depression. Other than that, America will never be a purely communistic state.

    And the argument that if you work harder, you will be rewarded more isn't necessarily true. you can work damn hard for the rest of your life, and never make any headway. just like the majority of the immigrants in the early 1900's.

    There has only ever been one true case of a rags to riches story. and that was Andrew Carnegie, creator of Carnegie Steel. He literally came to this country with NOTHING and ended up owning about $500 million, which today is about $120 BILLION.

    But yeah, i got off topic. to recap:

    Communism = Failure. Not even Cuba is purely communistic. It has a mixed Economy. So does China. The one pure Communistic country left is North Korea, and it's in shambles.
    I agree with you completely on the fact that it could work in small groups, thats what I was saying earlier.

    And yeah, working hard gets you nowhere a lot of the time(factory jobs for example). But what I was referring to was like studying in school and such so you can get a higher paying job such as an engineer. Knowing people does help a lot more than hard work at times though.


    And what are you talking about there being only 1 rags to riches story?
    My friends parents came from a house with dirt floors in Mexico and now live in the suburbs. I would consider that rags to riches.(although of course not to the extreme)
    You want to sit down but you sold your chair.
    So you just stand there.

    Xbox Live Gamertag: RizGiz

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts