LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5390-4745-5144-7150
    Damn, math is a hell of a subject, yet it offers a lot.

You'll have no trouble finding a job. Find a passion. Use it with your degree.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    2882-9149-7173-3516
    i finished high school in 2006. it was rough. i had problems all through high school with medication for depression, anxiety attacks, family junk and migraines. i took a year off and went to poland, my mothers homeland, with my grandmother. it was the last time she will be able to visit her homeland. we stayed for three months.

i'm back now and i've applied to 3 university courses. just today i recieved the 3rd reply letter - all have been positive and invited me to an interview.

i had my heart set on teaching and had second thoughts. i'm going into advertising. my friends say i'm selling my soul from the inside. others think i'm planning to take down the machine from the inside.

heh.

be daring, be different, be impractical,
    be anything that will assert integrity of purpose
    and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers,
    the creatures of commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.

Member #
    Friends
    I am currently studying at University, so I hope to finish my three years there, continue to do a Postgraduate degree and finally a PhD. In terms of a career, I am looking at becoming a Genetic Engineer.

The key to immortality is first living a life
    worth remembering. - Bruce Lee

PSN ID: Byuakuya

Member #
    Friends
    4778-4071-1717-2635
    I'm studying graphic design two more years to go...

Member #
    Friends
    2882-9149-7173-3516
    genetic engineer. that's amazing.

be daring, be different, be impractical,
    be anything that will assert integrity of purpose
    and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers,
    the creatures of commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Bliss
    trying to launch our own company, it pretty tough.
    Agreed, but if you have the entrepreneurial gene, it's the only way to go. I'm on my 3rd company (own this one with the wifey), sold my previous to MPS Group back in 2000, was part of an asset purchase on my 1st (minority partner) back when I was 25 (had a couple of tech patents). There is definitely a set of objective concerns about revenue, healthcare, consistency, management, etc., but I think there's more of a deep seated psychological driver that almost +forces+ some people to go it on their own, regardless of the risk. I have an old business partner from my last company that has this to a fault.

I have never stayed tethered too long in a structured corporate type gig. However, I happen to have a skillset which does allow me to switch from indie consultant to small business to Dilbert on demand which gives me a certain amount of mental freedom while I pursue my small enterprise goals (as in: at worst case, I get a "regular job" as needed - though that hasn't really happened, I've have constant offers).

~DT
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT]
    Agreed, but if you have the entrepreneurial gene, it's the only way to go. I'm on my 3rd company (own this one with the wifey), sold my previous to MPS Group back in 2000, was part of an asset purchase on my 1st (minority partner) back when I was 25 (had a couple of tech patents). There is definitely a set of objective concerns about revenue, healthcare, consistency, management, etc., but I think there's more of a deep seated psychological driver that almost +forces+ some people to go it on their own, regardless of the risk. I have an old business partner from my last company that has this to a fault.

I have never stayed tethered too long in a structured corporate type gig. However, I happen to have a skillset which does allow me to switch from indie consultant to small business to Dilbert on demand which gives me a certain amount of mental freedom while I pursue my small enterprise goals (as in: at worst case, I get a "regular job" as needed - though that hasn't really happened, I've have constant offers).

~DT
    wow that an very impressive track u got there...umm..yea it tough for us to get our name out there and for people to hire us...a lot people want designers with a min. of 4 yrs exp. but i mean come on we are fresh out of college, we know more about the software and the design aspect then ur 40 yr old men workin for u..but its tough we are in the process of mappin out our site. right now all our clients are either friends or the companies that we work for and other firms in our building.

Member #
    Friends
    3732-3369-2853-4491
    honestly, i want to drop out and be a rock star. i used to be in a band for 6 years or so, best experience of my life.

BUT if that doesn't happen i kinda want to produce bands/work at a label with AD/PR or possibly like the web site of a label (IST)

i'm undecided right now though. picked my spring sem. classes last night
    Strikers FC:025884-970933
    RIP: Hidden in Plain View, Counterfit Pennies, The Early November

thanks to idjut for the sig!

Member #
    Friends
    Stick with it, we never hired any designers based on their formal schooling (though it helped of course, even if indirectly) so much as their portfolio, personality and attention to detail (I'm pretty good at identifying capable people). We had some amazing designers (full on understanding of print, web, brand equity management, etc.).

Side note: be careful about the "know more than X age" though - experience goes a long way in some cases - if I'm hiring a high end architect and I have a candidate who recently deployed the Freddie Mac backend handling 1500/TPS, that goes a long way. Don't get fooled into thinking that people under 30 have some exclusive handle on current technology because they use MySpace

I think the accountant backup strategy was outstanding. That gives you decent cashflow in a reasonably stable environment while you navigate potential design opportunities. If you've got the bandwidth, you can keep doing both and build your (real world/production) design skills, expand your portfolio and possibly stumble on a unique gig that might let you jettison your accountant role!

Best of luck!

DT
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    yea i agree what ur saying about the age thing but ok granted my portfolio isnt as strong as i would want it to be but ..."ideas"...thats where i think a younger generation would come more into play (not just talkin for myself), i mean the things kids think about and create now a days are remarkable...also u look at all these boring websites for major companies, i mean theres nothing there but text and a few pics...ok ok i know wat ur gonna say that its a business they want to get to the point and thats it, but come on who really is gonna sit there a read and read and read, or wouldnt u rather the site tell it to u and visually show u...

and yes the accounting gig i got now really does help i got introduced to a lot of other clients that are in this building and i have a lot of free time to work on projects.

Ads