+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4253-4708-4555-0363

Remember When You Didn't Care

Does anybody remember when they were younger and when they went to buy a video game, they didn't care about reviews or who hates it and who likes it, they just wanted it because it had a cool box or it looked fun.

I remember when I was young asking for N64 games left and right. Games with good reviews and horrible reviews. Back then I didn't give a crap about the ratings of game let alone even know that they existed.

Good old days...

EDIT: Thought I would post this because now, people around my age (15) and older care so much about reviews and ratings before buying a game.
    2008 Jaguar XKR Portfolio

WiiChat Auto Enthusiast

Forum Moderator - [PM]

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    Well growing up I never really knew about reviews or was interested in them at all I guess.
    I just got games I saw my friends play, commercials for or parents just bought randomly.

Even now I read reviews sometimes.
    But I don't let them always decide what I play for me.
    I usually give everything a go through, if I really like it I will purchase it.
    And with all the Nintendo hits, those are a given.

I'll buy em no matter what.
    But yeah, its amazing how many people care about reviews.
    I know its good to get other people's opinions and talk about games etc, but too many people abide by them all the time.
    Many reviews sometimes come from people who never played games before/or never played that genre before etc.

Stuff like that happens, so they're not always the best opinions in the first place.

CantGetAWii
    ProudWii60Owner

'I don't want to go back, I want a new day & age.'

Retired Moderator-[PM]

Brawl FC: 4682-8172-0512 [PM for add]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumn0ob
    So all we have to do to become mods is be online all time I can do that on break which is now

Member #
    Friends
    2482-6460-3144-9934
    I remember the days when every game was great fun.

-=Join The Waluigi Fan Club=-

Spoiler Alert!

52 Members and still growing!

Member #
    Friends
    I remember those days, I am a lot more picky now, maybe because time is more important now. I find myself cringeing now when I walk through a store because it seems like 70% of the games are garbage

Member #
    Friends
    I remember playing some pretty awful games as a kid, like Altered Beast and Aquatic Games. I wanted to like them, but I never had any fun playing them. Wish I'd known about reviews back then, I could have skipped them for something better. On the other hand, I used to like some games which I now consider awful, e.g. Sonic Spinball. I guess nowadays I just have higher standards, since I'm the one spending the money now I don't feel like getting any old crap.

I don't treat reviews as irrefutable truth, more like a guide. A game like Halo, say, got loads of rave reviews but I didn't like it, which is why I never bothered with the sequels despite their equally rave reviews. Most reviewers are too spineless to rate anything below about 5 or 6 out of 10 anyway (even though you'd think 5 should be the average rating).
    Last edited by Napalmbrain; 11-28-2007 at 03:05 AM.

I never add friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

Member #
    Perth, Western Australia, most isolated capital in the world, oyeah :P
    Friends
    4149-4465-6987-2962
    Yeah Napalm, there were some awful titles out there... I still have my copy of Holy Magic Century for N64 that I want to sell.

I don't entirely understand the premise of 'not caring' for this thread. Not caring about reviews or what anyone else thinks? I didn't think people cared regardless. Are you referring to anything in specific?

Usually the reviews of games are fairly good indicators of what a game's like, but then again they can be misleading. I read the poor reviews of Red Steel and FarCry Vengeance but I still bought them and I still enjoyed them. You have to try and understand where these reviewers are coming from as well, remember these are the same guys who review Xbox360 and PS3 titles.

I read stellar reviews of Perfect Dark (N64) as well, even though I thought the game was fairly mediocre compared to other games I played at the time.

I don't know about you guys but I like having opinions on games before I buy them. The last thing I want is to be landed with a crap title that I don't enjoy. I read reviews, but I take them with a grain of salt. You can't take them as gospel. See what they say about games and see if you agree with it or not. I prefer to ask friends who have played the game I am considering buying over reading reviews.

I'm not sure what the purpose of this post is, but I'm sure something makes sense in there.
    My Friend Codes
    Mario Kart DS FC: 0558-9898-2921
    Metroid Prime Hunters FC: 1031-5066-6884
    StarFox Command FC: 8876-5756-1834

Give Ez some lovin! Rep me with the green mushy if you like my post!

Special Olympics Medalist BrandonMcAuslan's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Indeed - I held off buying Assassins Creed due to it getting el-crapo reviewo's. Doesn't matter anyway as Mass Effect has taken over my life anyway!..

Member #
    Friends
    5701-4561-7633-7008
    Quote Originally Posted by FR.
    Does anybody remember when they were younger and when they went to buy a video game, they didn't care about reviews or who hates it and who likes it, they just wanted it because it had a cool box or it looked fun.

I remember when I was young asking for N64 games left and right. Games with good reviews and horrible reviews. Back then I didn't give a crap about the ratings of game let alone even know that they existed.

Good old days...

EDIT: Thought I would post this because now, people around my age (15) and older care so much about reviews and ratings before buying a game.
    i wish i cared about ratings and what not, because i picked up such horrible games for my snes/64

..all nes games owned,
    i wasn't really a console gamer once cube came out, just played melee, so this is the first generation where i'm on top of the latest wii news etc.

the mario that's roomed with mush
    my wii is not connected to the internet, so i can't play brawl online for a bit....please do not spam inbox with friend code requests

They call me Hammy! blueovalboy7's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Remember when...

I still don't care about reviews, I think that each person should determine for themselves whether or not they like a game. If I were to go off of reviews I wouldn't own quite a few of the games I do, reviewed poorly, but I still find them fun. So, no thank you to reviews.

I think people who go solely off of reviews are naive.

Special Olympics Medalist BrandonMcAuslan's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Quote Originally Posted by blueovalboy7
    Remember when...

I still don't care about reviews, I think that each person should determine for themselves whether or not they like a game. If I were to go off of reviews I wouldn't own quite a few of the games I do, reviewed poorly, but I still find them fun. So, no thank you to reviews.

I think people who go solely off of reviews are naive.
    But I don't want to have to spend 40 to discover a game is sh*t?
    Reviews are a good indication as to what to expect from a game at the least. (I liked Red steel which got "not great" reviews - until it crashed on my save file and I had to re-start the piece of sh*t. Which I didn't - just traded it instead...)

Ads