Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Philosophy

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8507-9443-5099-4224
    I'm not sure if this is philosophy, but I always get shivers when I read this:

"It has become increasinly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein

Another thing:

"I'm not exactly sure how big the universe actually is, nobody does. But I do know it's BIG. So big, I can't imagine it just being made by scientific processes, some divine figure creating it seems most believable."

-not sure who wrote this...
    Last edited by Jenova; 11-14-2006 at 03:27 PM.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by $?wii?$
    so in a way philosophy is against religion and uses science to prove things?? correct??

Not science, but Logic and Reason if you want to call science, i guess it kind of is. I guess you could call philosophy a social science ....

I have come to my beliefs through thinking and experiencing, rather then being told or persuaded.

Philosophy is a religion in a way, but its free form thatís powered by thoughts and ideas. Rather then wants and desires.

Buddhism is probably the closest religion thatís really a philosophy, while I think Christianity and Muslim faiths are the furthest away. They are after all only one half brother apart from echother.
    Last edited by White-Wolf; 11-14-2006 at 05:08 PM.

Posts when necessary. linkzeldagame's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Hmmm... I attend a christian based youth group on fridays and as much as I refuse to be labelled christian or such, I go there as it fills up some of the nagging questions that can't be fulfilled by science. No don't get me wrong, I'm not a christians for that would mean I have to believe in Jesus and God and the Holy spirit as well as the biblical 'fact' that Jesus came down and died for our sins.

I also have come to my beliefs through thinking and experience rather than written facts that are claimed as the 'right' answer. If I take a 'fact' from a book I try to back it up with real events. I don't believe in quantum physics wholly as it requires me to use specific instruments that can allow me to gain access to the quantum universe. IMO what happens at the quantum universe should be reflected at the macroverse. Spirals are prevalent in quantum recorded events and that is reflected in the use of spirals and vortexes all around us, so I can believe in that part of quantum physics.

Established science is a religion, one that does not include God and backs up its theories with hard evidence. If there is no hard evidence to back it up either it is discarded or shelved away as a hypothesis.

Religion is a faith based cult organisation that does not rely on evidence to back up its claims as it knows people will believe in anything if they're taught to believe in it. The God concept can be a religion - there's no evidence it exists yet people feel satisfied that an immortal and invisible entity is all around us. The way he is viewed is dependent on the belief the person has developed since he or she was a baby.

Buddhism is just about the closest a religion can attain a philosophical viewpoint on the 'meaning of life'. Any philosophy that teaches karma and to forgive others genuinely leans towards a buddhist perspective on life.

Christianity is similar to buddhism in that you 'turn the other cheek' and respect people's opinions and values, while at the same time helping them become christians when they are interested. But it doesn't believe in the whole 'nirvana - samsara' cycle that the buddhist religion teaches. Everyone only has one shot in life and whether they believe in Jesus determines their passage to heaven.

The muslim religion is strangely similar to Christianity, but it doesn't encompass the buddhist approach to life. Does anyone here know anything about the muslim religion?

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I forget what Philosophy is (sorry) but here is some great philosophers and great orators (I think) Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    one bit from me
    "Enjoy life there are no coutinues in the real world"

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    White-Wolf when you said rather than being told and persuaded... that is true. alot of people dont have freedom to choose what they want to do because of the pressure from there parents.

i am a muslim but not a very strong one{i even get pissed } but i do think that islam is very close to science just listen to talks by Zakhir Naik and i can garauntee he will convince you...
    360PS3 FTW!!

Member #
    Friends
    Thatís ok. I see a logic flaw in 3 major religions all claiming that god says only they are right while the other two are wrong. Its like a doppelganger logic error. What ones the real one?

Islam was created because Abraham? had 2 suns and no one knows what sun was the one in the prophecy. So at that point Judaism split. around 0 bc/ad another group called Christians arose because they claim god made a errata to life itself. Well they all say they are right and all have proof that they are right, so I must assume all are right, or none are right? i mean logicly i cant pick one because they all have a little bit of fact to them, and all have a good persuasive argument. Hell if i have 3 wiis to choose from, in 3 different boxes, no choice is the wrong choice, but if all the boxes say the other 2 boxes doesnít include a wii what do i do?

I think each has very good lines and teachings, but prescribing to one fully is missing the bigger picture, and missing out on what the others have to offer. all of them have wise men and all of them have extremists who ruin the words that they claim to follow.

So ok.... we have these 3 religions, now the complex part comes in. we believe something we cant see and touch, from a history so far gone, we cant fully verify on facts alone. What about religions older then anything monotheistic. What about the polytheistic religions. how come god didnít set them straight in their own life time. Case and point. Polytheistic religions are a hell of allot older then monotheistic religions. Does this mean god is a new god and didnít create us? did we create him? Christianity trys to destroy science because their isnít really a answer except for maybe the tower of Babylon argument, and but then you open a can of warms again. God wants us to be different from each other or he is a jackass and afraid we will become greater then he. So lets awesome he isnít a jackass. He wants us to be different and worship whatever we feel like if he wants us to be different. If Christians or any major religion rains supreme, we are going against the wishes of god are we not?

So this makes me think Its about goodness and not about what flavor of goodness that you prescribe to. Thus the idea Jesus or any religion is absolute is lafable as it will just create another tower of Babylon.

lets say one religion is correct and its Christianity this time. Well what happens to a Buddhist on Tibet before it was discovered but after 0 ad? does he go to hell. if he goes to purgatory, is this right? This inches towards my trinity argument in another thread about if god can be good, powerful and knowable at the same time. I will post it if i can find it again. I wouldnít want to restart it here.

I believe that religions like Christianity want converts not because they want people saved, but because it affirms their idea. If more people think and believe what they do, its easier to have faith in something that cant be seen.

I also have to wonder, if Christianity is the one true religion, how come there are so many religious sects. If itís the one true religion?, wouldnít their be only one version?

But now you can see my dilemmaÖ and why i have decided that learning philosophy is a much better alternative to religion. As religion is almost all or no other, while philosophy is more like science, and itís only the truth until a better truth comes along.

Sorry to get this on religionÖ philosophy has a distinct trait that if you talk about long enough, it will intertwine with religion and come full circle.

I think Gorge Carlen is pretty good philosopher.
    Last edited by White-Wolf; 11-15-2006 at 04:46 PM.

ABC
    Member #
    Friends
    1929-2278-1848-3419
    "TO BEEEEEE or NOT to BEEEEE... That is thee QuestioN!"

Member #
    Friends
    7368-8559-7526-8152
    Absolute truth is a totality of logic. To say that all truth is relative is to say that relativism is absolutely relativistic, which is contradictory. Of course, you could deny the very foundations of logic and get away with it, but then you'd have nothing - not relativism.

It's analogous to why topologists don't really do a whole lot with Non-Hausdorff spaces. There's nothing that can really be said about them because they lack any structure.

====

To say that philosophy relies solely on logic and reason is a little off the mark. Logic and reason can't do a thing until you accept some axioms or premises. Without these, there's nothing to talk about. So, philosophy must take these axioms on faith.

Member #
    Friends
    The idea that truth is 100% relative i think is wrong. Everyone knows what a triangle is, just depending on where we are, we call it something different.

The idea of a triangle is perfect. It is the highest form of truth. Everyone in the universe can agree what a triangle looks like. It is absolute truth. We will always recognize a triangle and their will be no dispute on if something in the real world is or is not a triangle.

If we replace triangle with love or god, things get infinitely more complex. We find that in the real world, it is far too complex to find an absolute love. Even as a idea its not as solid as a triangle. We know that our parents should love us, and we sometimes know what is or is not love, but at times its fuzzy. If you give a bum on the street 10$ was that a loving gesture? It may seem that yes it was loving, but now he goes and buys some crack and dies from that charity. It doesnít even have to be at such an extreme. You give a guy on the street 10$. He buys food, you find him the next day and expects another 10$. Your charity has made him dependent on you for his well being. What if you didnít give him that 10$? Maybe he would have found a job, but you still dident give direct help when it was needed.

A philosophers ultimate dream is to find an equation to things like love and god that cannot be argued or contradicted and is a absolute truth much in the way how a triangle is a triangle. Most likely these questions can never have a true complete answer, but philosophers still try and they do come pretty close. Some say only god knows the true equationsÖ or maybe its so simple that we just overlooked it.
    Last edited by White-Wolf; 11-15-2006 at 07:40 PM.

Ads