Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Special Olympics Medalist BrandonMcAuslan's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Any other non-Christians have any strong feelings about christmas?
    Or even Christians?
    Or ChristLams?

I'm all about the presents me... Recieving that is - not giving...
    Saying that I do give some damn good presents..!

I GOT A JAR OF DIRT. surfinrach90's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall7
    Err, isn't it the followers of the religion, and not the religion itself that is at fault? Abstract concepts cannot wage war (no matter what South Park tells you), which includes religions, countries (aren't they just masses of land anyway?), ficticious peoples', etc...

Also, as far as I can see, Christmas DOESN'T offend other religions. It's just somebody in power trying to spread distrust in the (multicultural) community (well, that's how I see it).
    Yes, but I never said it was the religion itself that causes war, just religion in general, and I don't watch South Park

The people who are changing the names of Christmas Lights are changing it because of other religions and not to offend them, that's what I was getting at. =]

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    Quote Originally Posted by surfinrach90
    Yes, but I never said it was the religion itself that causes war, just religion in general, and I don't watch South Park
    Fair enough. Although I think we'd still be at each others' throats, even if there was no religion. I think it's more of a lack of tolerance, rather than because something is messing up the gears (if you know what I mean). Not that I'm religious...

The people who are changing the names of Christmas Lights are changing it because of other religions and not to offend them, that's what I was getting at. =]
    Yes, but who said they wanted it changed? As far as I've heard, other religions have been just as much up in arms because of the name change, possibly more so, as it would create distrust between them and the Christians (and Aetheists it seems). Hence, it could be seen that the changing of "christmas" was a farse to create said distrust.
    Last edited by Squall7; 12-18-2007 at 06:44 AM.

Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.

Special Olympics Medalist BrandonMcAuslan's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Quote Originally Posted by surfinrach90

SurfinRach I find your views extremly unsettling..!

"Southpark" is a tremendous show! why not watch it? I insist you should watch some southpark!? (The later series are a lot funnier than the original one's) - (Especially the episode where Cartman forms a Christian Rock group)!

Member #
    Friends
    2937-4259-9208-4198
    I grew up in a half Christian (Russian Orthadox), half Muslim family.
    ...Kinda random, amirite?
    I'm an athiest...we still celebrate Eid and Christmas though. I love giving/receiving presents. Presents FTMFW =]
    I agree with Rach. Religion = war.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste
    I agree with Rach. Religion = war.
    It's one catalyst.

However:

Politics = War
    Race = War
    Geography = War
    Bugs Bunny vs. Daffy = War
    Me vs. Red Envelope = War

Weren't a significant number of our major modern conflicts a result of the first 3?

Not specifically towards you Celeste:

I think it's become chic to denounce organized religion. Among the net-fabulous Y and Z gen-ers, it's cool to be an athiest because in so many minds that means anti-conservative, anti-Republican.

[yikes, edit for horrific spelling]
    Last edited by [DT]; 12-18-2007 at 10:37 AM.
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    2937-4259-9208-4198
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT]
    Not specifically towards you Celeste:

I think it's become chic to denounce organized religion. Among the net-fabulous Y and Z gen-ers, it's cool to be an athiest because in so many minds that means anti-conservative, anti-Republican.

[yikes, edit for horrific spelling]
    It's insulting that you attribute athiesm in young people to being "trendy" and/or liberal.
    I've been an athiest since age 13. It isn't exactly a decision supported by the majority of my family. It wasn't influenced by anything other than personal events, then subsequent questioning and analysis of the fables and propaganda that had been fed to me at church.

I know you weren't specifically talking about me, but...yeah. Some of us actually think for ourselves.

Member #
    Friends
    2482-6460-3144-9934
    I used to be a Muslim. Not for years though

I am still friends with lots of Muslims

-=Join The Waluigi Fan Club=-

Spoiler Alert!

52 Members and still growing!

Member #
    Friends
    I've been an athiest since age 13. It isn't exactly a decision supported by the majority of my family. It wasn't influenced by anything other than personal events, then subsequent questioning and analysis of the fables and propaganda that had been fed to me at church.

I know you weren't specifically talking about me, but...yeah. Some of us actually think for ourselves.
    Relax

This part was really well executed - you established your postion, supported it with facts, some peripheral anecdotal bits, and were only mildly sarcastic, through the use of inflective italics.

I thought it was well delivered!

It's insulting that you attribute athiesm in young people to being "trendy" and/or liberal.
    You shouldn't be insulted by what I stand by as an accurate assessment of some athiests. Are you suggesting that people (in particular the younger demographic) aren't driven to certain social, political and religious tendacies by their perception of current trends? Really, from your posts I know you are much smarter than that.

I stand by what I said *because* I see many younger folks toss down that label in conjuction with political and social dispositions that plug into a characticture. They're not as thoughtful as you, they're assuming a contrived position. I did it too when I was young. In fact, I haven't really even indicated in any of these religious topics my position (which might surprise you given this thread).

Merry Xmas
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    5134-2285-1457-3930
    In all out reality christmas isnt even about christ! I when i find it will post but it even says in one of the scriptures that he(Christ) didn't want us to celebrate his birth, he said it was unimportant, but celebrate his death, and his sacrafice.

Then if you ask the majority of americans what they think christmas is about and you will get the awnser gift giving and santa clause, and missletoe, all of which has nothing to do with christianity. As a matter of fact december wasent even a month till i think it was augustus that made that month and august after himself. If i am correct i think i read that christ was born in the summer season.

Like i said all religions play into each other, and in each is a little truth that holds the awnser to the real true religion, but is misinterpeted, misunderstood, missled by political, racial, financial, and power hungry people.(the devils playground).

Thats why i don't down anothers religion but learn from it, and use what i learn to stregnthen my own faith. But what i don't understand is how people can believe that there is nothing after this and nothing created you, and that we just evolved to thinking creatures, from some big blast in the sky. Just think where do we get the knowledge to build wii's and 360's and hd tvs and computers all from rocks,dirt, metal, water and air? I believe that if it was just that simple dogs, cats, and other animals would be making tvs' and other forms of tech.(not downing any one that doesnt believe just don't understand)

I know one of the big arguments is that if it was a god how can all these bad things happen, well my awnser to that and belief to that is how do you know something is good if you havent experienced bad. How can you appreciate the things you made it through, if you never went through it? Its just like the phrase what doesnt kill you can only make you stronger. How can i appreciate life if it wasnt for me knowing i will die?

Just something to think about.
    Don't Be A Fan Boy Its Not Benaficial

Ads