LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    I use WPA2. Though most of my neighbours are now retired and would unlikely piggyback on my connection, it's always better to be safe than sorry. Plus new, younger couples move in all the time. I know when I go to visit my father, I just bring my laptop and hop on one of 3 unsecured wireless connections with decent signal strength, rather than be confined to his computer in the basement.

Member #
    Friends
    9999-9999-9999-9999
    Quote Originally Posted by sremick
    Heh, how rural? Better hope none of your neighbors have an empty Pringles can...
    very rural... old farmers... my router shows history of all past and expired MAC address connections and my dad and i always views that list while we are in the router for another reason.

click logo to join the...
    rainbows & unicorns clan!

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Not so rural you can't get broadband, though? Nice. Usually the phone companies in areas like that are like, "Er, dee ess what...?" Unless you were feeling rich and sprung for satellite... I set that up for a client up on a mountain who can't get cable or DSL (and runs their house off solar panels).
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    9999-9999-9999-9999
    it is nice... the broadband is so new here so many are still like "WHY WOoD Iee PAYEE MORE DEN MY $10 FOR INTERNET?!? Dial-LUp werKs good enuff fuh mee."

then they stand around in awe when they visit our house.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by idjut
    very rural... old farmers...
    "Ma! Ma! Take a gander at this video Cletus sent me on our free wireless internet..."

[edit for on topic contribution]

WPA2 / AES

(Wired where convenient)
    Last edited by [DT]; 02-12-2008 at 10:21 AM.
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    9999-9999-9999-9999
    AES? wow, DT... you live metro, though

BTW, my dad is a wireless network engineer and project manages monsterous wireless networks in hospitals like NYC and Dallas... i get to travel with him often.

Member #
    Friends
    2025-2025-2025-2025
    i have MAC address filtering and my SSID is not broadcast (so it will not show up when people search for an access point). i also have it in the basement of my house. reaches my entire house and about 5 feet on the outside (i tested with my laptop lol)

KARPMOD SUCKS
    Moderator @ Wii Chat
    [PM]
    No, I will NOT add you to my friends list.
    [/SIZE]
    Mitch2025 - Stays crunchy, even in milk.

Thanks DBloke for the sig

I miss my weighted companion cube

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Since we have some decently-technical people on this thread, I felt I should mention a few things:

- MAC address filtering is not a panacea. Basic sniffing software can pick up the MAC addresses of devices that are successfully associating with the AP, and then the person can change their own MAC address to match.

- non-broadcasting SIDs are not a panacea. It's even easier to figure out the SID of a non-broadcasting AP than it is to clone the MAC address.

- There is still value in using MAC-address filtering and not broadcasting your SID, as it at least raises the skill-level bar for what it'd take for someone to freeload off your internet connection. But don't be lulled into a false sense of security. It's the difference between just leaning your bike against a tree and using a chain. The 12yo won't steal it, but plenty of people have bolt cutters.

- The "reach" doesn't just depend on the power and gain of the AP, but the power and gain of the client antenna as well. While one laptop might only work up to 5' outside a building, another could be made to work 50 yards outside the building. For under $200 you can get wireless NICs that have over 10X more transmit power, and the options for higher-gain antennas are limitless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Banned by Syntax for no reason, all subscribed threads and own started threads deleted by Syntax
    Friends
    4237-4091-4421-2313
    "sremick", , thanks for the lecture, does anyone even listen to you? Because i didn't, so you just wasted all of that typing. I hope i never get so lame that i have to give random people on the net English lectures on game forums.

Thanks for that Neepo, you're a safe Geeza!

Now back on topic, Mitch2025, what brand of router have you got? Also are you talking about just internet use or/and file transferring on your network too?My internet connections pretty poor, I'm thinking of getting one of those re transmitters, because on my Belkin one i can't ad on a bigger antenna.
    1st I'm gonna try upgrading my Net connection and see ow that goes 1st, also changing the frequency, because we've got a wireless phone right next to where it's having trouble receiving the signal.
    ----------Banned by Syntax----------

Member #
    Friends
    2025-2025-2025-2025
    i have a netgear router. really the only file transfering is when i stream video from my desktop PC to my laptop to watch before going to bed. if i want to xfer large files i just use my external HDD that has 30 gig apple partition (i forget what the name of the filesystem is. its like NFS or something (not NTFS because macs cant write to NTFS)

KARPMOD SUCKS
    Moderator @ Wii Chat
    [PM]
    No, I will NOT add you to my friends list.
    [/SIZE]
    Mitch2025 - Stays crunchy, even in milk.

Thanks DBloke for the sig

I miss my weighted companion cube

Spoiler Alert!

Ads