LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000

Should Virtual Item Loss Be Classed As Real Life Theft?

A short and sweet and mildly thought provoking piece over at Terra Nova asks the question: "Why not qualify the taking away of virtual objects as theft?" The author speaks in reference to Dutch law specifically, but a few cases have cropped up in recent months (Shanda getting sued after forgetting to return some virtual items; the case that this post was based on, where virtual theft in Habbo Hotel led to a real life arrest) that raise the question of what do you do with virtual items when they're stolen? Slap a pair of real life cuffs on the thief's wrists? Ignore it, since the items never left the virtual space they inhabited?

"Is it relevant for the qualification as theft whether the stolen fortune stays officially in game? Well, not to me. I see no reason for distinguishing between virtual and physical theft. The original owners of the stolen Habbo furniture obtained the items after they bought credits with real money, and do attach value to those items. As long as the original owner looses something of value (such as virtual items) due to the act of another individual who gains possession over the item, it should in my opinion be qualified as theft, no matter whether the locus delicti is in the physical or the virtual world."

I love this virtual law stuff, so many areas are so vague - I do wonder what sort of changes are going to be going on the books in the next decade or so.
    Source

Your opinions?

Old Signature

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status."

I GOT A JAR OF DIRT. surfinrach90's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Interesting piece.

Think it all depends on that has been stolen. When I read the first mention of Habbo Hotel and people being arrested I thought it was stupid, then I was reminded about the fact the people payed real money for it.

I don't think they should have been arrested though, just give the people their money back or something and ban the people or something like that.

But yes, depends on what the items are.

Member #
    Friends
    if they steal virtual items by a means of hacking or other illegal ways it should def. be counted as real theft. but if its just some stupid 10 year old who let his "friend" hold all his items for him because that friend would give 1 million gold back in return... then it should just be laughed at.

Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Quote Originally Posted by manred
    Source

Your opinions?
    Wheres yours ?

Srlysly
    At least add more to these posts other than a copy paste of what someone else wrote

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkprinny
    Wheres yours ?

Srlysly
    At least add more to these posts other than a copy paste of what someone else wrote
    You're right I should, but sometimes I just like to see other opinions that's all.

My opinion is just only if it has something to do with real money, not the fake money in a game.

Like there are those online RPGs that you actually have to pay to buy items in it, but others like Cokestudio, there really is no reason to arrest somebody for it.

Old Signature

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status."

Member #
    Friends
    If you pay for it and someone takes it away from you without any right to do so, then it's theft, plain and simple.

I never add friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

Ads