LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    An Instant Classic LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Member #
    20794
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,870
    Friends
    19
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I couldn't agree more.

    I consider golf to be one of the most exciting sports I've ever played. The feeling you get from hitting a *perfect* shot is just great. I just wish I were better.

    The main reason I stopped playing consistently is because (for me) four times out of five golf frustrates me, and just plain ruins my day.

    Not to fit a mold,

    Not to join a trend,

    Not to follow a crowd


  2. #22
    They call me Hammy! blueovalboy7's Avatar
    Member #
    25098
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,450
    Friends
    20
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I stopped playing frequently when I moved to San Diego, where it is very expensive to play golf. Now that I've been at my parents more, I am playing because I have a couple friends who work in the proshop at the course closest to their house and I can practice/play for free.

  3. #23
    Where is your god now? zapasant's Avatar
    Member #
    32112
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,842
    Friends
    5
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2887-9874-6238-6951
    Quote Originally Posted by manufan15
    I think we need SSBB Lover in here, and he'll straighten you out.

    No offense, but I think golf is boring... And yes, I know I'll get the unoriginal answer of "All you do in tennis is hit a ball back in forth." It involves waaayyy more skill than you'd ever think.

    im into tennis and i agree with it involving alot more

    golf involves 3 times more then tennis though

    PSN ID: zapasant93



  4. #24
    WiiChat Member SSBBdude's Avatar
    Member #
    48389
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The places you fear to tread
    Posts
    144
    Friends
    3
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0323-3188-4336-4758
    I've golfed for i think 5 years now at Canyon Crest Country Club with private lessons from a professional. I play on High School varsity even though I'm only in grade 7 so I'm not bad... I average to play par golf which is 72 at my course.
    Wiichat, dead.

  5. #25
    Missing the Prime manufan15's Avatar
    Member #
    28312
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,628
    Friends
    8
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by blueovalboy7
    I know how much skill tennis takes, and I know I can't do it. I can assure you that there is much more to playing golf than you would imagine. Golf is boring to watch, not at all to play. Tennis in my opinion is even more boring to watch, and the constant grunting is annoying as all hell.

    There is no one that will convince me to ever like tennis whatsoever. I can appreciate the talent needed to perform at a high level, but I find nothing about it appealing.
    Ok, just that you're aware. And I know how much skill golf takes as well, but taking one swing and then walking a quarter of a mile doesn't appeal to me.

    I acutally like watching golf when it goes into an extra hole, then it's exciting. But the three hours before that aren't that exciting. More exciting than NASCAR, I'll give it that.
    "For remember, fear doesn't exist anywhere except in the mind"

  6. #26
    Gearhead Surf Coder [DT]'s Avatar
    Member #
    33107
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vilano Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,329
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by manufan15
    More exciting than NASCAR, I'll give it that.
    That's funny.

    Though I always compare NASCAR and Soccer:

    - 90% of the event is repetitive action (back and forth vs. round and round)

    - Fans [of either] say there are subtleties that the lay person doesn't "get"

    - Break aways/outs where an individual seems to suddenly separate themselves from the rest of the players/drivers (usually resulting in nothing)

    - A few moments of intense action (scores, collisions, big passes) - note the latter two are applicable to both


    [Edit: On Topic]

    I've played on and off for years - never committed enough time to get very decent. It's much more frustrating than something like Tennis, where you can pick up a racket and be more capable (and have fun quicker) vs. picking up a club. Golf requires a little more skillset up front to be fun - nothing is _less_ fun than making 10+ shots on the same hole.

    Most of my family plays, I have a stellar set of clubs, etc., maybe at some point here in my old age I'll get serious about it. I have a good friend who builds custom clubs and is a pro/consultant for a large shop here in town. He actually made it to the 2nd round for the big show a couple of times. He's offered several times to take me and the Wifey© out and give us some lessons (for free).


    .
    Last edited by [DT]; 03-07-2008 at 09:32 AM.
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

    "Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

    "The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

  7. #27
    Missing the Prime manufan15's Avatar
    Member #
    28312
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,628
    Friends
    8
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT]
    That's funny.

    Though I always compare NASCAR and Soccer:

    - 90% of the event is repetitive action (back and forth vs. round and round)

    - Fans [of either] say there are subtleties that the lay person doesn't "get"

    - Break aways/outs where an individual seems to suddenly separate themselves from the rest of the players/drivers (usually resulting in nothing)

    - A few moments of intense action (scores, collisions, big passes) - note the latter two are applicable to both


    [Edit: On Topic]

    I've played on and off for years - never committed enough time to get very decent. It's much more frustrating than something like Tennis, where you can pick up a racket and be more capable (and have fun quicker) vs. picking up a club. Golf requires a little more skillset up front to be fun - nothing is _less_ fun than making 10+ shots on the same hole.

    Most of my family plays, I have a stellar set of clubs, etc., maybe at some point here in my old age I'll get serious about it. I have a good friend who builds custom clubs and is a pro/consultant for a large shop here in town. He actually made it to the 2nd round for the big show a couple of times. He's offered several times to take me and the Wifey© out and give us some lessons (for free).


    .
    Hmmm. You can say all you want, but that doesn't change the opinion of all the fans of football. (I'm going to call it that even though I'm in the US. That's what the sport should be called.) It's the most popular sport in the world based on it's skill and excitement.

    People all over the world take off work for weeks while the World Cup is going on. Someone from Britian, take it away.

    Thats your opinion though. Typical US opinion, but still an opinion.
    "For remember, fear doesn't exist anywhere except in the mind"

  8. #28
    Gearhead Surf Coder [DT]'s Avatar
    Member #
    33107
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vilano Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,329
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by manufan15
    Hmmm. You can say all you want, but that doesn't change the opinion of all the fans of football. (I'm going to call it that even though I'm in the US. That's what the sport should be called.) It's the most popular sport in the world based on it's skill and excitement.

    People all over the world take off work for weeks while the World Cup is going on. Someone from Britian, take it away.

    Thats your opinion though. Typical US opinion, but still an opinion.
    There's another thing in common with Soccer and NASCAR fans: They can't take a little playful jab at their sport.

    Hahaha! Lighten up Francis!
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

    "Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

    "The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

  9. #29
    Missing the Prime manufan15's Avatar
    Member #
    28312
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,628
    Friends
    8
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT]
    There's another thing in common with Soccer and NASCAR fans: They can't take a little playful jab at their sport.

    Hahaha! Lighten up Francis!
    Honestly, it's just one of my personality flaws. Anything I'm interested in, it's as if I have to protect it. Second nature to me. Gets me into a lot of trouble, but sometimes arguements are fun.
    "For remember, fear doesn't exist anywhere except in the mind"

  10. #30
    They call me Hammy! blueovalboy7's Avatar
    Member #
    25098
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,450
    Friends
    20
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Ah, well NASCAR... I love me some NASCAR, no honestly, I do. There are two drivers who are from my hometown so I root for them, and just something about 355 c.i. V8s pumping 850 horses gets me into it. I love power, and I love speed, so NASCAR really appeals to my personal tastes.

    As for NASCAR being boring, yea there are some tracks where its quite boring, take Fontana (California Speedway, most boring race to watch IMO) but go to Bristol, Darlington, Talladega where there is constant action, passes, wrecks, and just chaos that I find myself loving every second of it.

    @DT, you should take him up on those free lessons, they can't hurt and might make it more enjoyable for you. I've had probably 2 dozen lessons, and it helps, also if you're serious at all about golf I would suggest reading the book "Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect" by Sports Psychologist Dr. Bob Rotella. After reading that book I dropped 8 strokes off my average, and that is no exaggeration. It helps with arguably the most important aspect of golf, the mental side.
    Last edited by blueovalboy7; 03-07-2008 at 05:51 PM.


Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts