LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 262
  1. #11
    HITLER ME JEZ King Wiired's Avatar
    WiiChat Writer
    Member #
    907
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom Status : Stunnin'
    Posts
    5,503
    Friends
    32
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8756-4872-6334-8478
    Since a young age, I've loved everything gun related for whatever strange reason, though I'm yet to shoot a proper gun. Toy guns, paintball guns, the lot. My mate is really good at paintballing, and invited me along one time, and said himself that my aim is great - possibly then then his.
    When I'm older, I'll probably get involved in some sort of gun related hobby (like drive-bys or something).

    But nah, my thought on Guns and Gun Crimes are completly different.

  2. Ads


  3. #12
    ミュージック Gikoku Harakami's Avatar
    Member #
    36386
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    どこかに日本でか。
    Posts
    1,180
    Friends
    29
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    A friend of mine owns a couple of guns, but he never uses them for stuff like killing people or other creatures. He just collects them for decorations and just for target practicing (like on cans and rocks). Which I have no problem with, since it's no different than taking a sword or nunchaku, and just freely practicing with them in the backyard or shit like that.

    Other than that, I don't carry any respect for those who just use guns for the sake of killing others because it's just "fun", or killing some animal because they want a nice new rug or headpiece for their naked wall. I have to say the same for those who even use them for self-defense. If you knew how to properly move & defend yourself, you wouldn't ever need one in the first place.

    Learn how to fight and defend yourself, carrying a gun doesn't make you any stronger than you were before.

    Gikoku ハラカミ
    --------------------------

    --------------------------
    Don't think. Feel...
    It's like a finger pointing to the moon.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory.
    ~Bruce Lee, Wing Chun.


  4. #13
    Bringer of BOTTOM!! DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    228
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Super Mancyland
    Posts
    18,882
    Friends
    33
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    People that think guns are cool are useualy the wrong type of person
    Whats wrong with setlein things the good way
    By beatin some body to a pulp with your own fists

    I have more respect for some body that can fight than some body that carrys a gun for safety

    There only real good is in the army where there only rly nessaesary because the other side has them


    You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

    Spoiler Alert!

    @D_Bloke - My inane prattle


  5. #14
    Gearhead Surf Coder [DT]'s Avatar
    Member #
    33107
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vilano Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,329
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    If I have time I'll deconstruct some of the comments already posted.

    Briefly:

    All of the granular assessment about "this form of defending yourself vs. a gun" - not based on anything that vaguely represents one of those situations.

    In the US there are background checks to purchase a handgun (plus a waiting period). It varies by state and I agree needs to be enforced and applied to all Firearms (ie., include longs: Rifles, Shotguns, Compacts, etc.)

    Florida for instance has a 3-Day wait period, a check through NCIS and a State level check via local CODBMS.

    In the US, you can acquire a firearm illegally in *minutes* in some areas (many of these are brought into the US through illegal mechanisms). The point being you could prevent purchase through all legal channels and the criminal contingent would still be able to easily acquire one.
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

    "Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

    "The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

  6. #15
    They call me Hammy! blueovalboy7's Avatar
    Member #
    25098
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,450
    Friends
    20
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    So I will be getting back to you on this, but for now I'm just going to leave it at, the US does not need new gun laws, they just need to enforce the ones already in place, and make sure they're enforced everywhere. I know for a fact that it is a hell of a lot harder to purchase a firearm here in California versus that of Texas or Arizona, because for the most part the liberals have a vice grip on this state. As for obtaining a firearm illegally, well you're not going to be able to stop that. People have been black-marketing/under the table selling firearms for decades and there are so many of them out there now, there is no way you would ever be able to do completely resolve that issue.

    Commenting on DT's remark about waiting 3 days in Florida, I believe it is 10 days here in California, a friend of mine purchased a shotgun not too long ago, and if my memory serves me correctly it was 10, might be longer for handguns, I'd have to look into it.

    Like I said I'll be back, that's all I have for now, I'm up 3 hours earlier than normal so the brain isn't running at full capacity yet.

    (I'm going to have to assume that 90% of the people in the UK are against firearms.)

  7. #16
    WiiChat Member Celeste's Avatar
    Member #
    28191
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,213
    Friends
    18
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2937-4259-9208-4198
    Absolutely inconceivable for me to comprehend how being raped is "no reason to shoot the guy." I'm at a loss for words, honestly. I can't even write anything somewhat eloquent regarding the thread right now...but alas, I'll try.

    I have been in a situation where rape was probably inevitable. The guy had a knife and was on top of me, in my room, in an empty apartment. I bit his hand so hard, while incapacitating him in another more graphic way, that he dropped the knife and I stabbed him as hard as I could. If I'd had access to a gun, it would've been used. I would never hesitate to use a gun for self protection. I live in constant fear, as unhealthy as that is. I talked to Anthony about this subject as well, right down to what kind of gun I'd buy if I could. I feel very vulnerable to men in this city. I can't count how many experiences I've had where I have -sometimes justified, sometimes overreaction- feared for my life. I know it sounds dramatic, but with respect, not many of you (Wiichat population being overwhelmingly male) have the same circumstances.

    I'm against shooting little animals and birds as a recreational activity. I'm against the ridiculous availability of weapons (to people with a history of mental illness ala Virginia Tech gunman) and redneck gun-toting subculture. Self defense though, is a completely acceptable purpose.

  8. #17
    Got lifeboat? sremick's Avatar
    Member #
    27061
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    1,130
    Friends
    25
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I'm a liberal, crunchy, tree-hugging, environmental pacifist... and I own a gun.

    Contradiction? No, just aware of reality.

    First of all, I live in Vermont. Vermont has some of the most-relaxed gun control laws in the entire USA. In fact, Vermont is only one of two states (the other being Alaska) where you don't need a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

    If the gun-control advocates are to be believed, Vermont should be a warzone overrun with violence and crime. Actually, Vermont has some of the lowest per-capita crime in the entire country. In fact, "In almost all cases, the areas in the U.S. with the fewest gun control laws and also the highest gun ownership rates also have the lowest crime levels." Ponder that for a minute.

    Someone once asked why so much crime takes place in gun-free zones like schools and malls? The response was, probably for the same reason you don't see gunfights at gun-shows and police stations.

    Chew on this:
    http://scottthong.files.wordpress.co...eszonesign.jpg
    http://www.a-human-right.com/s_doors.jpg

    And consider this:
    http://scottthong.files.wordpress.co...hgunrights.jpg

    "The only accomplishment of gun-control laws is to assure the criminals that their victims will be unarmed."

    Next, it's important to realize that control-control laws are pointless. Why? Well, we already have laws against robbery and murder. Someone who's going to commit one of those obviously doesn't care about the law. So how is a gun-control law going to deter them? If you think someone who wants a gun can't get one, even in the face of a ton of laws, you're wrong. If someone wants to break the law and commit a crime with a gun, they'll find a gun, regardless of any more laws they need to break. But what you've done is handicap the law-abiding citizen from defending themselves against the criminal.

    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." -Thomas Jefferson

    "Gun control laws are like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

    For what it's worth, I'm not a hunter.

    Next, the whole "self-defense" thing... the gun is an equalizer. Only a gun can put a 100 lb woman on equal footing with her 200 lb attacker. Usually you don't even have to use it. Pull it out, or state, "you'd better stop right there, I have a gun" is usually enough. A gun's greatest use is as a deterrent... it makes you "un-victimizable".

    "Firearms reduce the power differential between the weak and the strong, making it harder for the strong to prey upon the weak. Being strong doesn't help much when you're dead or wetting your pants in fear because your potential victim shoved a barrel muzzle under your nose."

    "The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. God may have made men and women, but Colt made them equal."

    http://www.a-human-right.com/guessing_s.jpg

    "If the only things needed to prevent crimes were laws and policemen, then there wouldn't be any crime statistics. But every murder, every rape victim is testimony to the fact that neither the law nor the police can protect individuals from criminal attackers. On the other hand, very respectable studies have shown that firearms are used by Americans more than a million times a year to prevent crimes, usually without having to be fired. "

    Some real-life examples...

    1/16/2002: 2 students with personal firearms subdue a shooter at a law school
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalac...f_Law_shooting

    Woman forced to watch her parents be shot and killed because she forgot the pistol she normally carries in her purse (start reading 3rd paragraph):
    http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...611939,00.html

    Would-be robber shot by his intended victim
    http://www.charlotte.com/local/story/502952.html

    Homeowner shoots at would-be thief and scares him off
    http://www.wjbf.com/midatlantic/jbf/...2-19-0026.html

    Neighbor runs to women's aid, shoots and kills attacker
    http://www.commercialappeal.com/news.../e19attackweb/

    Passing motorist stops an assault by pulling a gun on three attackers
    http://blog.mlive.com/annarbornews/2..._32/print.html

    Man breaks into house, shot by woman living there
    http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs...ING01/80217002

    Armed homeowner arrives to interrupt an attempted burglary of his house
    http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/...Y&pageId=3.2.1

    80yo shoots and scares off 2 armed robbers from his home
    http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw....bd009f6a.html

    Man protects home and mother from two robbers
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/15280225/detail.html

    Something I wrote to someone else not long ago:

    "While you dislike guns, I doubt you dislike other people who have been trained to use one and own one for emergency situations. People like police officers or soldiers. Perhaps some enjoy guns and killing, but I think most do not. They are trained, and respect them, and don't look forward to having to pull the trigger if that's what it comes to. But they know that "shit happens", and they have the gun so that they're prepared if it does. Unfortunately, you can't always have a police officer the moment you need one. It's like first-aid... just because hospitals exist doesn't mean that people shouldn't learn first-aid themselves, how to stop bleeding, etc. In an emergency, you need to be able to act fast and take things into your own hands, as there might not be time to call in a professional."

    "Unfortunately there are bad people out there who do bad things to innocent people. I don't want to be caught unprepared if my number ever comes up, and end up just as an unfortunate statistic. I feel I have a responsibility to myself and anyone I care about to do something about a dangerous emergency situation and prevent harm from coming to myself or other innocent people. It's important to me to be able to fulfill this role, as protector of those I love, however unlikely or unpleasant it might be. I would take a bullet for you, but I'd much rather be in a position to prevent it from even coming to THAT, by having my own means of quickly suppressing the threat. I have no hesitation of pulling a gun on someone trying to hurt me or my family, but it's hard to do that if I don't have the means to do so. A guard-dog without teeth. "


    http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/5329-2/defender.jpg
    http://www.a-human-right.com/s_protection.jpg
    http://www.a-human-right.com/s_emergencies.jpg
    http://www.a-human-right.com/s_faster.jpg
    http://www.a-human-right.com/s_fightback.jpg
    http://www.a-human-right.com/s_options.jpg

    Now, to respond to some others on this thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gikoku
    carrying a gun doesn't make you any stronger than you were before.
    This is incorrect. If your attacker has a gun and you don't, you are the loser in this situation. The genie is out of the bottle: guns exist, and criminals will have them. Victims should get them too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frogger
    If you're defending yourself in any situation I would rather run, grab something sharp or use my vocal chords like God intended me to do and squeal the hell like a woman.
    A lot of people have depended solely on that. A lot of them are dead, either because their attacker had a gun, or had other means (strength, knife, etc) to overpower the victim. What if the attacker can run faster than you? (very likely, if they're stronger than you). What if there's no one to hear you scream? And "grabbing something sharp" is useless against someone stronger than you. A knife-like weapon's effectiveness is dependent on the strength of the wielder. A 200 lb man can easily subdue a 100 lb knife-holding woman. But if she holds a pistol, he now needs to pause and consider the situation. Even if he has a gun too, she is now his equal. More than likely, however, he wasn't expecting that and doesn't have a gun himself, expecting her to be easy prey. Not so.

    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."
    (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

    I would suggest reading this:
    http://davekopel.org/2A/Foreign/Self...-Equalizer.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

  9. #18
    Bringer of BOTTOM!! DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    228
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Super Mancyland
    Posts
    18,882
    Friends
    33
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    The defenin your self rule also alpiys to kinfes

    Some thin small with a sharp edge can not defend you from nothin
    Its primary useis are for attackin and cuttin food
    If you need to defend your self get a suit of armor

    Even if some one comes at you with a knife your bound to get cut

    I blame the current so called music

    Its also illegal to carry a gun in the UK (if your ont a cop on duty)
    Last edited by DBloke; 03-12-2008 at 10:35 AM.


    You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

    Spoiler Alert!

    @D_Bloke - My inane prattle


  10. #19
    Senior Member Napalmbrain's Avatar
    Member #
    43
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    4,286
    Friends
    15
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkprinny
    People that think guns are cool are useualy the wrong type of person
    Whats wrong with setlein things the good way
    By beatin some body to a pulp with your own fists

    I have more respect for some body that can fight than some body that carrys a gun for safety

    There only real good is in the army where there only rly nessaesary because the other side has them
    I'm not going to advocate fighting as an alternative to shooting, but I agree that people who love guns are not the kind of people I want to hang around with. Guns are dangerous, plain and simple. If they get in the wrong hands, they're potentially lethal. Yesterday I read about two kids in Birmingham who discovered a gun lying about outside their house, and decided to shoot out their car window. Fortunately no one was hurt, but it exemplifies everything that's wrong with having them around. I'm glad there's no big gun culture here like in America.



    I never add friend codes.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.


  11. #20
    ミュージック Gikoku Harakami's Avatar
    Member #
    36386
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    どこかに日本でか。
    Posts
    1,180
    Friends
    29
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    ^ exactly.
    Last edited by Gikoku Harakami; 03-12-2008 at 10:50 AM.

    Gikoku ハラカミ
    --------------------------

    --------------------------
    Don't think. Feel...
    It's like a finger pointing to the moon.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory.
    ~Bruce Lee, Wing Chun.


Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts