Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    9156-1265-6763-2556
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste
    Absolutely inconceivable for me to comprehend how being raped is "no reason to shoot the guy." I'm at a loss for words, honestly. I can't even write anything somewhat eloquent regarding the thread right now...but alas, I'll try.

I have been in a situation where rape was probably inevitable. The guy had a knife and was on top of me, in my room, in an empty apartment. I bit his hand so hard, while incapacitating him in another more graphic way, that he dropped the knife and I stabbed him as hard as I could. If I'd had access to a gun, it would've been used. I would never hesitate to use a gun for self protection. I live in constant fear, as unhealthy as that is. I talked to Anthony about this subject as well, right down to what kind of gun I'd buy if I could. I feel very vulnerable to men in this city. I can't count how many experiences I've had where I have -sometimes justified, sometimes overreaction- feared for my life. I know it sounds dramatic, but with respect, not many of you (Wiichat population being overwhelmingly male) have the same circumstances.

I'm against shooting little animals and birds as a recreational activity. I'm against the ridiculous availability of weapons (to people with a history of mental illness ala Virginia Tech gunman) and redneck gun-toting subculture. Self defense though, is a completely acceptable purpose.
    Well that depends if you're shooting with the intention to kill, I really wouldn't want to kill them, but do enough damage so I can get the hell out of there and get some help. There's a difference between injuring someone and killing them.

Possiblities of using a gun in those situations are really slim, and it's quite depressing that women can't really get away from it, I can be outran pretty easily, but if a gun had been there, there's a 90% chance they would be using it, if I somehow got ahold of it, I wouldn't go for the head or the heart at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sremick
    A lot of people have depended solely on that. A lot of them are dead, either because their attacker had a gun, or had other means (strength, knife, etc) to overpower the victim. What if the attacker can run faster than you? (very likely, if they're stronger than you). What if there's no one to hear you scream? And "grabbing something sharp" is useless against someone stronger than you. A knife-like weapon's effectiveness is dependent on the strength of the wielder. A 200 lb man can easily subdue a 100 lb knife-holding woman. But if she holds a pistol, he now needs to pause and consider the situation. Even if he has a gun too, she is now his equal. More than likely, however, he wasn't expecting that and doesn't have a gun himself, expecting her to be easy prey. Not so.
    Basically it's weaponry, anything can be used against you, but I wouldn't like the more powerful things, such as guns to be easily obtained by the public because of this, I'd rather reduse the chance of anyone having a gun than using it to defend where it so magically appeared out of fairy dust and gave me an opening to shoot someone. That doesn't happen, they choose their victim so they can obviously overpower them if something like that happens.

If that situation was me, I, wouldn't fire, I'd think out if I'm decent or not, and they're quite obviously psychotic and shouldn't hesitate to fire first. If they're going to be stronger, then they can dart out of the way of my shoddy woman aim.
    I love you, Adam.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain
    Guns are dangerous, plain and simple.
    So are knives. And belt sanders, band saws, and soldering irons.

If they get in the wrong hands, they're potentially lethal.
    So are baseball bats and matches.

Yesterday I read about two kids in Birmingham who discovered a gun lying about outside their house, and decided to shoot out their car window. Fortunately no one was hurt, but it exemplifies everything that's wrong with having them around.
    Who's at fault here? The guns, the kids, or the parents?

The kids "decided" to shoot out the car window.

What if the story read this way: "Two kids in Birmingham who discovered a rock lying about outside their house, and decided to throw it through their car window." OMG more rock-control laws! We can't leave them just lying around! Think of the poor, defenseless children who can't control their impulses!

The gun should've been stored in a safe place, and the kids should've been raised to respect guns and not be stupid jackasses. There were lots of mistakes here by various people, but it's not the gun's fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain
    I'm not going to advocate fighting as an alternative to shooting, but I agree that people who love guns are not the kind of people I want to hang around with. Guns are dangerous, plain and simple. If they get in the wrong hands, they're potentially lethal. Yesterday I read about two kids in Birmingham who discovered a gun lying about outside their house, and decided to shoot out their car window. Fortunately no one was hurt, but it exemplifies everything that's wrong with having them around. I'm glad there's no big gun culture here like in America.
    I think wii both are kinda headin in the same way
    BUt I think theres nothin wrong with a good old man to man fist fight
    The only person that gets hurt is the other person that got hit more

I want to go back to Edo era Japan
    I LIEK TEH SWORDS

Anyway bugger it im outa this thread for fear of it all becomein one big loop or the same words then a flame battle
    Last edited by DBloke; 03-12-2008 at 11:50 AM.

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste
    Absolutely inconceivable for me to comprehend how being raped is "no reason to shoot the guy."
    I was going to address that item directly, but edited it out - however, I can't fathom it either: Rape vs. Shooting your attacker??

[Post removed - see above]
    Amazing post.

Everyone should read and note it has actual cited sources vs. "I think" and anecdotal snippets.

The other takeaway is sremick's stance on ownership is almost identical to mine - I don't hunt, I'm not a "gun fanatic" (some recent posters in another thread sound obsessed), and am very moderate politically speaking. Like him (per another post in the last several weeks) I also have a reasonable amount of training when it comes to physical confrontations (I'm also 6-1 and 195lbs).

However, I also choose to own a handgun based on just about every point in sremick's post.
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkprinny
    People that think guns are cool are useualy the wrong type of person
    Whats wrong with setlein things the good way
    By beatin some body to a pulp with your own fists

I have more respect for some body that can fight than some body that carrys a gun for safety

There only real good is in the army where there only rly nessaesary because the other side has them
    Agreed, If I'm going to ever kill somebody. I'll beat their brains out with my fists and legs.

This is incorrect. If your attacker has a gun and you don't, you are the loser in this situation. The genie is out of the bottle: guns exist, and criminals will have them. Victims should get them too.
    No, if you don't know how to properly defend yourself at gun point, then yes.. you are a goner. However, for those who are well trained under the situation then it's a completely different story. Such as myself, I'm well capable of defending myself at gun point, without resorting to using any other weapon than my hands alone. Granted, even those who are well trained can mess up, and bang they're gone just like that.

People like Celeste are perfect examples, she clearly doesn't know what to do in situations like that, and sees the grabbing of the gun as the only way to defend yourself. I have other friends who would easily agree with her, and the reason as for why is all the same. Panic and fear will drive anyone to a desperate solution.

Gikoku ハラカミ
    --------------------------

Don't think. Feel...
    It's like a finger pointing to the moon.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory.
    ~Bruce Lee, Wing Chun.

Member #
    Friends
    2937-4259-9208-4198
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogger
    Well that depends if you're shooting with the intention to kill, I really wouldn't want to kill them, but do enough damage so I can get the hell out of there and get some help. There's a difference between injuring someone and killing them.
    Yeah. I don't think I'd have much trouble sleeping at night if I killed someone who had the intent of raping me, killing me, or harming someone I care about. Unless I had flashbacks. But remorse? **** no. Too bad, so sad. Don't **** with this bitter, afraid little girl.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Gikoku
    No, if you don't know how to properly defend yourself at gun point, then yes.. you are a goner. However, for those who are well trained under the situation then it's a completely different story. Such as myself, I'm well capable of defending myself at gun point, without resorting to using any other weapon than my hands alone.
    I'm sorry, but you have a pretty high opinion of yourself. I'm a blackbelt but I'm not delusional.

Picture this: you're 15 feet from your attacker. He's got a pistol pointed at you. You have nothing. The bullet can move 800-1000 feet per second. How fast can you move to cover that 15' and defend yourself with your arms and hands before he has time to pull the trigger?
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    I have a few guns, but I don't use them anymore, I only used them in the army. As stated before, there is no need to use a gun in self defence because you can just use your fists. The only time I think a gun would be suitable for self defence would be if the other person had a gun, which is why it's okay to kill people in the army, because you have to to survive.

Instead I've been training with a samurai sword and learning Ninjutsu for fighting.

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    I'm sorry, but you have a pretty high opinion of yourself. I'm a blackbelt but I'm not delusional.

Picture this: you're 15 feet from your attacker. He's got a pistol pointed at you. You have nothing. The bullet can move 800-1000 feet per second. How fast can you move to cover that 15' and defend yourself with your arms and hands before he has time to pull the trigger?
    No, there's nothing delusional of it at all. It only depends on how far apart you are from the shooter, obviously if the distance is fair enough between us in which it would benefit the gunman, then my chances of survival would be much slimmer. I'm no fool, and am well aware of when my chances of surviving against a certain weapon are almost non-existent.

Gikoku ハラカミ

Don't think. Feel...
    It's like a finger pointing to the moon.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory.
    ~Bruce Lee, Wing Chun.

Member #
    Friends
    9156-1265-6763-2556

...What would the shooter really want from you 15 feet away? I think people who use guns only really want to rob or rape, because killing has no gain for themselves, so ti really wouldn't be useful them being far away from you anyway, unless shooting, robbing and then necrophilia is your thing, and I don't think there's that many demented people out there. D:
    I love you, Adam.

Ads