LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21
    Wii online moderator registerednerd's Avatar
    Member #
    249
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Missouri, United States
    Posts
    1,054
    Friends
    1
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by sremick
    No offense, and I'm sure there are exceptions (and from what I see on Wiichat, you're probably one of them), but Geek Squad certainly doesn't have a very good reputation.

    http://consumerist.com/tag/geek-squad/

    Certainly Dell has issues too... with their consumer line at least (Dimension & Inspiron). Tech support for those will be a nightmare. That's why I never refer people to those lines, and tell everyone to buy the "business" lines (Optiplex and Latitude). Not only are the computers built better out of better parts, but you get an entirely different level of tech support. And it's good. Worth the little extra up-front. First time you ever need tech support, you'll be glad you paid more for an Optiplex/Latitude.
    Try to find sources other than the consumerist, they do nothing but bash on Best Buy and Geek Squad (more than anyone else).
    http://video.knbc.com/player/?id=212629
    try this one on for size.
    ... but what do I know?...
    Not currently accepting friend adds.

  2. #22
    Shmunior Member Chewy's Avatar
    Member #
    20268
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    798
    Friends
    7
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4482-2919-0549-8845
    My friend had his computer checked by geek squad because it was running insanely slow and they just told him that it was because he was running two anti-virus programs at once. Then they were asking for about $150 just to uninstall one of them. It wasn't even the actual problem.

    If my computer ever starts having problems I'm definitely not gonna go to them.
    You want to sit down but you sold your chair.
    So you just stand there.

    Xbox Live Gamertag: RizGiz

  3. #23
    Homework! Bigred's Avatar
    Member #
    35349
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    297
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy
    My friend had his computer checked by geek squad because it was running insanely slow and they just told him that it was because he was running two anti-virus programs at once. Then they were asking for about $150 just to uninstall one of them. It wasn't even the actual problem.

    If my computer ever starts having problems I'm definitely not gonna go to them.
    I really dislike the people that work for technician companies. (NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE!!!) I find them, for the most part, to be overconfident people that think they know everything.
    SSBB FC: 1547-4946-7686
    A response to "Wii - DVD Compatible?"
    "I put a PS3 disc in it and the Wii wouldn't read it. WTF is this world coming to? If I buy a video game console, it better take and kind of media I want. Even if I were to dust off some of my vinyl LPs, the bastard better work."





  4. #24
    is a true Brawler Barbz911's Avatar
    Member #
    40228
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A Milk Carton MOHH2 Persona=Number1Snipe
    Posts
    343
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3521-2272-3993-4863
    Quote Originally Posted by registerednerd
    I work for Geek Squad, I see the BSOD every day of my life. PS, totally call 1.800.GEEK.SQUAD before Dell, we speak much better english
    i never thought of calling geek squad =]
    you guys are gunna be the next guys I call for technical solutions cause im sick of wasting time saying "WHAT?" or "Did you say C for Cot or D for Dot???" etc.

    btw, to fix it, all you need to do is put the reinstallation of windows disk in (the one that says with windows already installed) and follow the on screen instructions
    Last edited by Barbz911; 03-18-2008 at 05:44 PM.

  5. #25
    Got lifeboat? sremick's Avatar
    Member #
    27061
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    1,130
    Friends
    25
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbz911
    btw, to fix it, all you need to do is put the reinstallation of windows disk in (the one that says with windows already installed) and follow the on screen instructions
    Not always. Some CDs that come with new computers aren't Windows install discs, but instead are "recovery discs". If you run one of those, it takes your computer back to the state it was when you took it out of the box, and you lose all your data.

    Many cheapo computers these days don't even include any sort of disc whatsoever, recovery or otherwise. eMachines, for example, put it on a "recovery partition" which is prone to failure and flat-out not working when you go to depend on it.

    Plus, even if you have a Windows install disc, not all BSODs are easily fixed that way. Certainly not hardware issues (hard drive failures being common) but there are other things that can get in the way too (like if your hard drive needs SATA drivers to even install Windows).

    Reminds me of that commercial where the doctor is trying to talk the patient through doing surgery on himself over the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

  6. #26
    Wii online moderator registerednerd's Avatar
    Member #
    249
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Missouri, United States
    Posts
    1,054
    Friends
    1
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    ^^ Truth. I both hate and love the restore disc. I hate it A: because you can't repair from it, and B: when a PC does come with an OS disc, many users confuse it with a restore disc, and try to use it as such in the event of a problem. They then find themselves up a creek when they find themselves without any drivers. As for the recovery partition, it has very limited use (mainly for repairing drivers.... that's about it), however, every brand that I have seen thus far that don't have discs, but do have a partition have an option to burn a copy of the partition onto discs. I love it because the user can realistically do a restore themselves (just because you can doesn't mean just anyone can, we get a lot of customers that are intimidated by the power button)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy
    My friend had his computer checked by geek squad because it was running insanely slow and they just told him that it was because he was running two anti-virus programs at once. Then they were asking for about $150 just to uninstall one of them. It wasn't even the actual problem.

    If my computer ever starts having problems I'm definitely not gonna go to them.
    It sounds like your problem was not the antivirus, but viruses themselves ($140 is the price tag for virus removal under warrantee), if it were just the combination of the two antiviruses (which is a bad idea also), it would be $29, or if you got a really nice agent, $10
    Last edited by registerednerd; 03-18-2008 at 11:21 PM.
    ... but what do I know?...
    Not currently accepting friend adds.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

wii blue screen

Click on a term to search for related topics.