LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 128 of 138 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1376
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: the ~Ask Anyone Anything~ thread

  1. #1271
    She-Hulk for Smash 4 WiiAssasin's Avatar
    Member #
    65950
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mira
    Posts
    5,941
    Friends
    19
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    I've no idea what question you're referrin' to. Remind me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    Nick, NU Owen was low tier?
    .... how?
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572


    Trying to motivate myself to play: Tales of the Abyss, Ocarina 3DS.
    Spoiler Alert!

  2. Ads


  3. #1272
    Meta Avatar Mr. MR's Avatar
    Member #
    82844
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    シオンタウン
    Posts
    5,616
    Friends
    68
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    eh
    IMO Legendaries stale the plot a lot
    That is what I mean by overkill





    Spoiler Alert!

  4. #1273
    The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    55490
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lostlorn Forest
    Posts
    15,947
    Friends
    123
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    Exactly as in, t'wasn't a serious question.
    The Pokechanged reference was intentionally ass-backwards. I very well know Flandre's stages tend t' put the "hell" in "bullet hell", the joke in question wasn't callin' her low tier. T'was a joke in a joke referring to how UN swapped backwards is NU, or Never Used, the lowest tier in competitive 'mons. The "was low tier?" portion of this awful Pokejoke is in reference to how I switched UN around to reference the lowest tier. The joke wouldn't allude to anythin' otherwise, 'sides sarcasm. I'm never plainly sarcastic, so 'course I'd never do that.

    Apparently somewhere along the line I've made a runnin' gag outta transforming references and various other memes int' Pokestupidity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MR View Post
    eh
    IMO Legendaries stale the plot a lot
    That is what I mean by overkill
    Again, I disagree. The way they've done it since Gen 3 (7+ badges, cataclysmic event, you catch it now/later) is certainly gettin' old fast, but that's only 'cause it's the linearity of it. Legendaries as a part of the plot is just an easy anchor point for said stories 'cause Game Freak ain't makin' brilliant Pokeplots. Sayin' legendaries make things worse for the plot is like sayin' every other Poke does the same as well. It's not the fact they're usin' legendaries in the plot, it's the fact they're usin' legendaries in the plot haphazardly and incorrectly. ... Or so my opinion says.

    The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

    Spoiler Alert!

  5. #1274
    Meta Avatar Mr. MR's Avatar
    Member #
    82844
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    シオンタウン
    Posts
    5,616
    Friends
    68
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    Gen one did not need any legendaries in the plot. The plot was more basic however the focus in not on the plot it is on you and your Pokémon. It is about growth and coming of age instead of saving the world. And to tackle the lack of plot, they throw in mysteries and side stories weaved into the main journey.





    Spoiler Alert!

  6. #1275
    The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    55490
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lostlorn Forest
    Posts
    15,947
    Friends
    123
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Certainly ain't a good or even decent replacement for a wonderful plot, that's for sure. For it's time and especially the console (... handheld) t'was good or even great, we both can agree on that. But t' say that RBY's story was better than future Pokemon games is simply Farfetch'd.

    Though, ya really can't rag on BW1's "saving the world" bit. Dead as the horse has been beaten, it still had far more substance and logic to it than previous Pokemon games.

    The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

    Spoiler Alert!

  7. #1276
    Meta Avatar Mr. MR's Avatar
    Member #
    82844
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    シオンタウン
    Posts
    5,616
    Friends
    68
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    It might be the nostalgia talking but you don't simply play Pokemon Red Blue you live it. The simplicity of the plot mixed with all the problems of the world (but not world crisis level) made the game fun and enjoyable. RB has the best story because each story is unique to the person playing it.
    Do not underestimate the bildungsroman





    Spoiler Alert!

  8. #1277
    The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    55490
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lostlorn Forest
    Posts
    15,947
    Friends
    123
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    The experience was born from the formula and the game as a whole, certainly not the plot. I sure as shit will never deny the brilliance of RBY nor the fond memories of those games (... and GSC). That's besides my point though: which has ended up as "RBY's plot ain't good". Apparently I've strayed from my original point...

    Also, it might not even be the nostalgia. Might just be the fact you 'n I were youngin's when we had our hands on RBY and were therefore more prone t' "living" the game. It's the same for the kids who're still youngin's, wherein their first Pokemon game was RSE. They refer to said generation as their favorite games and typically the best games.

    Back to my actual point, I still don't see how legendaries hurt the plot more than they help. Just like anythin' else in a book, it's not what's bein' said. Rather, it's how ya word it. A simple, uninventive story will always be better than an overly complex plot that's utter shit. That however is not a good example for you t' use when takin' into account the above phrase "it's not what you say, it's how you say it". If RBY's (essentially transparent) legendary-less story is more involving than today's Pokeplots due to the simplicity and lack of unneeded mumbo jumbo, that's solely 'cause the garbage in say, Gen 3, is poorly done and therefore not unimmersive, unneeded mumbo jumbo. Whether it's 'bout legendaries, a team of criminal imbeciles, or love and friendship, a poor plot is a poor plot simply 'cause it's poor. Blame Game Freak's plot developers, not the legendaries they put into said plots.

    If what I'm gettin' at ain't why you think legendaries ain't good for Pogeymanz' story, correct me further since I feel I went on a bit of a tangent in the above paragraph...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MR View Post
    bildungsroman
    wut?

    The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

    Spoiler Alert!

  9. #1278
    Meta Avatar Mr. MR's Avatar
    Member #
    82844
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    シオンタウン
    Posts
    5,616
    Friends
    68
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    The experience was born from the formula and the game as a whole, certainly not the plot. I sure as shit will never deny the brilliance of RBY nor the fond memories of those games (... and GSC). That's besides my point though: which has ended up as "RBY's plot ain't good". Apparently I've strayed from my original point...?
    I would consider it a plot
    The bildungsroman or coming of age story is a valid thing. That is the beauty of the plot. It does not rely on saving the world it relies on the character becoming stronger. A legendary kinda takes the fun out of the growing because you instantly have power by having one.
    In contrast, Mewtwo is the pinnacle of your journey in RB. You are about to fight the strongest pokemon. I personally try to catch him with a pokeball to make it more enjoyable and rewarding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    Also, it might not even be the nostalgia. Might just be the fact you 'n I were youngin's when we had our hands on RBY and were therefore more prone t' "living" the game. It's the same for the kids who're still youngin's, wherein their first Pokemon game was RSE. They refer to said generation as their favorite games and typically the best games.?
    That is (from what I understand) nostalgia, as in those born in the RSE gen will be nostalgic over RSE because of the childlike fascination. Talking about this bring back some memories and feelings. But overall RSE did not suck you into the story.

    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    Back to my actual point, I still don't see how legendaries hurt the plot more than they help. Just like anythin' else in a book, it's not what's bein' said. Rather, it's how ya word it. A simple, uninventive story will always be better than an overly complex plot that's utter shit. That however is not a good example for you t' use when takin' into account the above phrase "it's not what you say, it's how you say it". If RBY's (essentially transparent) legendary-less story is more involving than today's Pokeplots due to the simplicity and lack of unneeded mumbo jumbo, that's solely 'cause the garbage in say, Gen 3, is poorly done and therefore not unimmersive, unneeded mumbo jumbo. Whether it's 'bout legendaries, a team of criminal imbeciles, or love and friendship, a poor plot is a poor plot simply 'cause it's poor. Blame Game Freak's plot developers, not the legendaries they put into said plots.?
    Legendaries don't hurt the game but I feel the storyline suffers from being tied to legendaries. It does give the plot a solid base but it weakens the bildungsroman. also I am not a sole genwunner, I also like gen two for its reasons (mostly the adventure theme and it still has a strong bildungsroman).

    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    If what I'm gettin' at ain't why you think legendaries ain't good for Pogeymanz' story, correct me further since I feel I went on a bit of a tangent in the above paragraph...?
    With more and more legendaries coming out, I feel they are only objects in a showcase. I like legendary collecting and I like legendaries in general but I don't like how they are directly tied into the story.


    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    wut?
    U has teh googles





    Spoiler Alert!

  10. #1279
    The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    55490
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lostlorn Forest
    Posts
    15,947
    Friends
    123
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Suddenly, MR has good grammar. Debates are a wonderful thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MR View Post
    U has teh googles
    jerk

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MR View Post
    I would consider it a plot
    The bildungsroman or coming of age story is a valid thing. That is the beauty of the plot. It does not rely on saving the world it relies on the character becoming stronger. A legendary kinda takes the fun out of the growing because you instantly have power by having one.
    In contrast, Mewtwo is the pinnacle of your journey in RB. You are about to fight the strongest pokemon. I personally try to catch him with a pokeball to make it more enjoyable and rewarding.
    Bildungsroman is definitely a crux in the motivation for any youngin' trainer settin' off on their journey obviously, that's how it's been presented in every single Pokemedia revolving 'round trainer protagonists. I'd certainly consider it a plot element: it's the motivation for Red to set out on his journey, but where's the supporting plot for the coming-of-age story? How often is it mentioned that Red, rather than his Pokemon, are metaphorically growing as a boy to a teenager to an adult? 'Sides at the very end after Oak insults his relative like a real dick of a grandfather, I certainly don't remember. If the topic is brought up very often, it certainly ain't thrown into any memorable depth or moments. It's certainly focused on more than in other games ('cept BW1), but that hardly means the plot itself is better. What's t' say coming of age stories are superior to ones where the protagonist is saving the world from a megalomaniac? Character growth in any plot is bloody important whether bildungsroman is a specific element to said plot or not. Besides Red's accomplishments, where's the growth? I just don't see it.

    Point being, an element of the plot don't carry the plot. What I'm gettin' from this is that you seem t' be simply fond of the Bildungsroman; at the very least ya are in this particular bit'a media. It's not what's said, it is how it's said.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MR View Post
    That is (from what I understand) nostalgia, as in those born in the RSE gen will be nostalgic over RSE because of the childlike fascination.
    If it ain't nostalgia, it's somethin' similar is what I was gettin' at. A forgettable point regardless, forget I mentioned it since it's not really relevant. Ain't no way t' outright prove nostalgiafaggotry is responsible for this after all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MR View Post
    Legendaries don't hurt the game but I feel the storyline suffers from being tied to legendaries. It does give the plot a solid base but it weakens the bildungsroman. also I am not a sole genwunner, I also like gen two for its reasons (mostly the adventure theme and it still has a strong bildungsroman).
    That further supports the fact ya just like bildungsroman as a plot element rather than RBY's plot in itself. Regardless'a that, I'm gonna actually ask a question: what legendaries hurt which stories and how? Gimme at least two examples, if ya would.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MR View Post
    With more and more legendaries coming out, I feel they are only objects in a showcase. I like legendary collecting and I like legendaries in general but I don't like how they are directly tied into the story.
    That is a valid point, but one that's relatively related to "it's not what ya show, it's how ya present it" 'n all that. For example, plots revolving around legendaries since RSE always have t' do with various mythological or philosophical factors which said legendaries are based on. Obviously a fictional plot 'bout how these mysterious monsters of old shaped the planet and literally created people, other Pokemon and the world 'n physiques which govern it has potential. But every time these legendaries are tied into the plot, it's simply 'cause a bad guy wants t' misuse their extreme power. The legendaries don't get the focus they deserve and are simply a tie-in. The more legendaries you have, the more tie-ins that're bein' added in. Screen time has t' be split between said legendaries, makin' 'em seen thrown in with abandon even moreso since that's really how it is: they're plot anchors used recklessly and without care. Wasted potential as a whole.

    As a certain not-assassin mentioned in regards to some other bad villains, the evil teams' leaders are all simply bein' twirly mustache villains (most of 'em anyways, but the topic of which ones ain't is definitely a tangent for another time). The focus is on the leaders and how you need t' own them and their goons, not the legendaries. Indeed, as I mentioned above, the legends are haphazardly thrown into the story as a plot anchor point since they're not truly the main focus when they should be. Though not literally, they're essentially treated mainly as a personality-less tool. Might as well be generic artifact of supreme power #9001 (I will destroy anyone who brings the Pieces of Eden int' this >_>). A sentient being that literally controls and can warp Time or Space, nothin' more than a plot device? I call bullshit. That is poor presentation of any and all potential at it's finest debauchery.

    Legendaries are inadvertently hurtin' the plot 'cause Game Freak ain't handling 'em properly in said plots, nothing more. Regardless of what element(s) they're hinging the story on, they'l be doin' it wrong. I repeat myself as such: tryin' hard and failing tends to result in a worse product than hardly tryin' and succeeding. It ain't the bloody Pokegods which make the plot worse, it's Game Freak's arse stories as a whole.

    Or lack thereof in RBY's case.

    EDIT: Always feels good t' make a tl;dr every once in awhile.

    The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

    Spoiler Alert!

  11. #1280
    She-Hulk for Smash 4 WiiAssasin's Avatar
    Member #
    65950
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mira
    Posts
    5,941
    Friends
    19
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    The Pokechanged reference was intentionally ass-backwards. I very well know Flandre's stages tend t' put the "hell" in "bullet hell", the joke in question wasn't callin' her low tier. T'was a joke in a joke referring to how UN swapped backwards is NU, or Never Used, the lowest tier in competitive 'mons. The "was low tier?" portion of this awful Pokejoke is in reference to how I switched UN around to reference the lowest tier. The joke wouldn't allude to anythin' otherwise, 'sides sarcasm. I'm never plainly sarcastic, so 'course I'd never do that.

    Apparently somewhere along the line I've made a runnin' gag outta transforming references and various other memes int' Pokestupidity.
    Okay, I failed for asking a vague question. I was more focused on how you got that reference in the first place, although it seems many people know of the theme due to the interwebz.

    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King View Post
    Suddenly, MR has good grammar. Debates are a wonderful thing.

    Yesh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King
    As a certain not-assassin mentioned in regards to some other bad villains, the evil teams' leaders are all simply bein' twirly mustache villains (most of 'em anyways, but the topic of which ones ain't is definitely a tangent for another time). The focus is on the leaders and how you need t' own them and their goons, not the legendaries. Indeed, as I mentioned above, the legends are haphazardly thrown into the story as a plot anchor point since they're not truly the main focus when they should be. Though not literally, they're essentially treated mainly as a personality-less tool. Might as well be generic artifact of supreme power #9001 (I will destroy anyone who brings the Pieces of Eden int' this >_>). A sentient being that literally controls and can warp Time or Space, nothin' more than a plot device? I call bullshit. That is poor presentation of any and all potential at it's finest debauchery.

    I remember when Mass Effect had a seemingly shades of grey plot. Then ME3 came up and it turned out that wasn't so.


    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King
    Legendaries are inadvertently hurtin' the plot 'cause Game Freak ain't handling 'em properly in said plots, nothing more. Regardless of what element(s) they're hinging the story on, they'l be doin' it wrong. I repeat myself as such: tryin' hard and failing tends to result in a worse product than hardly tryin' and succeeding. It ain't the bloody Pokegods which make the plot worse, it's Game Freak's arse stories as a whole.
    Game Freak sadly doesn't have a reason to do so. On the bright side, while they have all-powerful legendaries, they don't go and attempt to do what Assassin's Creed does. Imagine the consequences.

    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_King
    Or lack thereof in RBY's case.
    B-but mysteriousness!
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572


    Trying to motivate myself to play: Tales of the Abyss, Ocarina 3DS.
    Spoiler Alert!

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts