LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Where is your savior now? Lost Savior's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    I don't mind the random mistakes (they forget to put a letter or two, can't be perfect all the time). But when they do it for every (or every other word), it's like, why? Most people have been through grade school to learn how to spell right? (again, those who's native language is not English is fine). I blame cell phone texting mostly for this corruption of the youth.
    Wii Games:Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Rayman Raving Rabbids 2, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Mario Party 8, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Manhunt 2, and Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Grammar is there to be used
    You should use it.

Enoch was right.

Member #
    Friends
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    People say, "A forum is not school."

I feel sorry for these people who think that things they're taught in school doesn't apply to other parts of culture. =( The point isn't that people can still understand you (and sometimes this point isn't even valid, as a lot of people can't do that.)

Do the laws of physics not affect me in REAL life? Does 1+1 =/= 2 on a forum?

It makes no sense for there to be a FORMAL spelling and an INFORMAL spelling of words... Why not try to make a good impression on the REAL people on the internet too. Clearly people who can spell are more liked than those who cannot. This post might be edited for being mean or something, but it's the truth. ALL "vets" can properly type. I don't know of many people who stay here who cannot use grammar. Coincidence, or sign of a lack of sophistication?

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164

More

Aas long as its not the user beein lazy (ie usein text speak all the time)

Appart from most the people that have posted in this thread

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    If a person writes in proper grammar it's just that much easier to read. I say, if you know how to use correct grammar and punctuation do so, make our lives a bit easier.
    Come Together.

WiiChat.com>Match.com TacosTacos's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    It's all about communication. I you get your point across, it's fine with me. I don't care if you have good grammar or not. Although, I do find it odd that people correct grammar so much on the forum. I mean....is that something that you do in real life? Do you stop people mid-sentence, and tell them that their grammar is incorrect? I know for fact that I don't use correct grammar when speaking conversationally with my friends. Sometimes it just doesn't flow correctly. And if one of my friends corrected my grammar when we were talking, it would be kinda weird. I would probably tell them they'se straight lunchin.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    How can I, of all people, not post to this thread?

There's really nothing new for me to add though that hasn't already been said. Many people have already responded with my exact feelings. But I'll summarize:

- Proper spelling and grammar make it easier to read
    - There should be no such thing as "formal" and "informal" spellings and grammar
    - Language is a tool... used properly, it facilitates communication and understanding. Used improperly, it facilitates confusion
    - Using proper spelling and grammar is a sign of respect for the reader
    - Using proper spelling and grammar demonstrates your intelligence and makes it more-likely that you will be listened-to and taken seriously
    - Abusing spelling and grammar, even if you claim to "know better" and are just doing it for shorthand, perpetuates bad form to others. The more they see spelling and grammar misused in the "real world", the more the wrong ways get ingrained in their head and the more-likely they are to make those same mistakes themselves and not "know better".

Hence why I made this page:
    http://vtbsd.net/english/
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    1805-3931-7385-1789
    i dont have a problem with not using proper grammar most of the time as long as you dont look retarded or try to use proper grammar and do it incorrectly.
    pokemanz fc 0344 5754 3574

Member #
    Friends
    it should be used more. When people write with incorrect spellings and with terrible grammar it bothers me. They need to improve. But perfect grammar isn't neccessary. As long as I don't need to decipher the words, I'm ok.
    SSBB FC: 1547-4946-7686
    A response to "Wii - DVD Compatible?"
    "I put a PS3 disc in it and the Wii wouldn't read it. WTF is this world coming to? If I buy a video game console, it better take and kind of media I want. Even if I were to dust off some of my vinyl LPs, the bastard better work."

Member #
    Friends
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Yes, I do correct speech too. Although "me" for "my" is just too damn cute.

Ads