Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0120-6723-8776-4093
    Quote Originally Posted by hoogasian5
    Is that with Mac
    No. It is it's own operating system
    There are many distros of Linux, the most popular being Ubuntu
    It is mostly used by computer savvy people (aka nerds), but its user friendly-ness is amazing
    I use it on my comp along with Vista

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    deleted
    Last edited by dakuda; 01-08-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    *slaps forehead* not the linux pitch again, this is what i deal with at work

even the damned creator admitted that linux was going nowhere until it looked more like windows. its too ****ing hard to use. and don't give me the pitch, because i use it when i have to in research (it's my job), but even when i've learned most of it i still tell people to go with windows xp.

linux without a gui has its place in the server client world, it has it's place in the young-and-broke developers world. its not a mainstream operating system you want your parents or friends using that think 'IT for a business' is just a ****ing light switch......sorry i blew up there

Gaz
    Member #
    Friends
    2042-8451-0487-7303
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingaling
    *slaps forehead* not the linux pitch again, this is what i deal with at work

even the damned creator admitted that linux was going nowhere until it looked more like windows. its too ****ing hard to use. and don't give me the pitch, because i use it when i have to in research (it's my job), but even when i've learned most of it i still tell people to go with windows xp.

linux without a gui has its place in the server client world, it has it's place in the young-and-broke developers world. its not a mainstream operating system you want your parents or friends using that think 'IT for a business' is just a ****ing light switch......sorry i blew up there
    lets be honest, this guy has a point, windows XP has the piss easiest GUI to understand, and vista's GUI isn't to hard to get to grips with if you completely forget XP ever happened.
    Mac Expert.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Get a Dell Latitude. Any model. You won't regret it.

Even a Dell Inspiron is better than most anything else out there. But Latitude > Inspiron.

And with laptops: no matter what one you get, get at least a 3 year warranty. Preferably a 4 year warranty. Laptops are almost entirely proprietary parts, are harder to service, and are more-prone to failure since they're lugged around everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    0120-6723-8776-4093
    Latitudes are good solid computers
    those are the ones they use at my school and they have lasted a long time

Member #
    Friends
    get at least a 3 year warranty. Preferably a 4 year warranty.

but not if you're one to replace them within that time periood.
    +1 to the latitude.

and linux is not as great for general use as people say. xp is better.
    Wii Games: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Heatseeker, Excite Truck, Wii Play, NHL 2k9, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Strikers Charged, Shaun White Snowboarding, The Bigs, Guitar Hero: World Tour, Ghost Squad, Call of Duty: World at War, Wii Sports Resort, Punch-out!

VC: Wave Race 64

Homebrew Channel

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by rukus
    but not if you're one to replace them within that time periood.
    Due to the price premium of laptops, most people in my experience keep them at least 4 years.

and linux is not as great for general use as people say. xp is better.
    Actually, Mac OS X is better. XP sucks. Vista sucks more. If you order a Latitude, you can still get them with XP.

I use none of those. FreeBSD for the win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: sheise
    Friends
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    If all you want is web access and office tools, look at the Asus eee laptop. Their cheapest one is $300.

Once they go down in price, I will probably buy one for when I don't want to be stuck here at the desk. I think it will also be handy in the garage when I need to look up part numbers to call the store to find out that they are out of what I need.
    I want an Eee too...but I would hardly recommend it as a primary computer.
    The specs are shit, as well as the tiny display that can display five lines of text.

Quote Originally Posted by ROB64
    It's a pretty good one for the price range, but I strongly urge you and anyone with a computer to upgrade from windows to Linux
    +1

FreeBSD is also very nice, but you have to be willing to spend some time editing conf files through the CLI, so it's obviously not very feasible for the average user...

Just install Mandriva or a variant of Ubuntu. And call the company you bought your PC from to get a refund on Windoze. (read the EULA, it says to do so if you don't agree with the terms)

++++++[>++++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<+++++[>+++++++<-]>++.++++.<+++[>---<-]>--.<+++++[>----------<-]>--------.<+++++++++++++[>++<-]>.<+++++[>+++++<-]>.<++++[>++++<-]>+..<++[>----<-]>-.<++[>+++++<-]>.

Member #
    Friends
    8550-4135-2443-8680
    The cheaper versions of the Toshiba Satellites are godly.

Minions! I must summon more minions!
    Bwahahahaha! Fear the Pikmin!

Super Smash Bros Brawl:
    hop3less
    2449 4332 9181

Ads