LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
Closed Thread
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 308
  1. #121
    Sam I Am Boethiah's Avatar
    Member #
    55515
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    146
    Friends
    4
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty View Post
    I'm afraid I don't understand. Religion teaches us that we should love and have a family, (not like I'm saying you have to, but y'know, that's what he'd like) and so marriage is a sacrament. Religion and love are closely related. Marriage has always been religious, and though it may not be now, people still do it as just... a nice thing to show someone's love. I'm sounding really fruity. If you feel so strongly you should just not get married, go fear that your wife will be hit on every time you're out.

    You really don't have to be married to make a statement.
    That's an extremely generalized statement. ALL marriage is religious, in ALL cultures? Religion in ALL cultures tells us we should love and have a family?

    You can't just take your experiences with Christianity and apply it to all other religions. Marriage isn't necessarily a religious thing.

  2. #122
    Anglophobiphile Brawny's Avatar
    Member #
    8228
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    Posts
    6,546
    Friends
    24
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Quote Originally Posted by Boethiah View Post
    That's an extremely generalized statement. ALL marriage is religious, in ALL cultures? Religion in ALL cultures tells us we should love and have a family?

    You can't just take your experiences with Christianity and apply it to all other religions. Marriage isn't necessarily a religious thing.
    It most certainly is a religious thing, considering atheism didn't really exist back then.

    For those pining for the separation of church and state, marriage really shouldn't even grant legal benefits to anyone anyway.

  3. #123
    Sam I Am Boethiah's Avatar
    Member #
    55515
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    146
    Friends
    4
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
    It most certainly is a religious thing, considering atheism didn't really exist back then.

    For those pining for the separation of church and state, marriage really shouldn't even grant legal benefits to anyone anyway.
    I'm unsure if Atheism didn't exist, or if people were unwilling to actually think for themselves. Marriage isn't a religious institution anymore, anyway.

    To the second point, the complete separation of church and state sounds nice, but in the U.S., that would never fly. I'm not necessarily against taking away legal benefits , but could you imagine the pure rage fostered by so many people?

  4. #124
    Poe Hunter JonRyan's Avatar
    Member #
    55470
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    california more specific pico rivera
    Posts
    704
    Friends
    45
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3549-0591-6488-6338
    i agree with brawny it shouldn't hold any legal benefits but it does because of the corrupt government we have, also atheism no but the caltic religion (which existed long before Christianity ) didn't have marriage as religious ceremony they made it its own thing.

  5. #125
    Poe Hunter JonRyan's Avatar
    Member #
    55470
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    california more specific pico rivera
    Posts
    704
    Friends
    45
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3549-0591-6488-6338
    also atheism existed at all times. just not as popular because if you didn't believe in something starting from Christianity and on you were probably raped and killed.

  6. #126
    Anglophobiphile Brawny's Avatar
    Member #
    8228
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    Posts
    6,546
    Friends
    24
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Quote Originally Posted by Boethiah View Post
    I'm unsure if Atheism didn't exist, or if people were unwilling to actually think for themselves. Marriage isn't a religious institution anymore, anyway.

    To the second point, the complete separation of church and state sounds nice, but in the U.S., that would never fly. I'm not necessarily against taking away legal benefits , but could you imagine the pure rage fostered by so many people?
    Why are you so hinged on calling it that?

    IF a civil union was exactly the same as marriage, just by a different name, why would you be so against it?

    i agree with brawny it shouldn't hold any legal benefits but it does because of the corrupt government we have,
    1. I never said it shouldn't. I quite like the idea of it.
    2. Can you pretty please use sentences?

    because if you didn't believe in something starting from Christianity and on you were probably raped and killed.
    That's constructive...

  7. #127
    Sam I Am Boethiah's Avatar
    Member #
    55515
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    146
    Friends
    4
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRyan View Post
    also atheism existed at all times. just not as popular because if you didn't believe in something starting from Christianity and on you were probably raped and killed.
    Probably even earlier than that. Rome was pretty strict about their official religion. Their emperor was considered a god, or god like. If you believed there were no gods, that was a direct slap in the emperor's face.


    I'm not sure about ancient Greece. I think they were a bit more laid back with religion and philosophy. The only reference I can think of to a religious based execution was the execution of Socrates. They claimed he was corrupting the youth of Athens and defying the gods, but the first charge was the only legitimate one.

    I'm unsure about anything before that.

  8. #128
    Anglophobiphile Brawny's Avatar
    Member #
    8228
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    Posts
    6,546
    Friends
    24
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Wait, how did we get onto marriage in the abortion thread?

  9. #129
    Sam I Am Boethiah's Avatar
    Member #
    55515
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    146
    Friends
    4
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
    Why are you so hinged on calling it that?

    IF a civil union was exactly the same as marriage, just by a different name, why would you be so against it?
    Hinged on calling what what? Calling civil unions marriages? I'm not.

    If they were exactly the same, I wouldn't be so hung up on it, but I could imagine it might be unfair to a homosexual person.


    OK, no more marriage. Back to Abortion.
    Last edited by Boethiah; 01-30-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Getting back on topic.

  10. #130
    Poe Hunter JonRyan's Avatar
    Member #
    55470
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    california more specific pico rivera
    Posts
    704
    Friends
    45
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3549-0591-6488-6338
    abortion should be legal in all states.

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

abortion at 9 weeks

,
abortion embryo
,
abortion wii
,

baby

,

baby wallpapers

,
chewy abortion
,
i'm for abortion
,
wii abortion
Click on a term to search for related topics.