LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Anglophobiphile Brawny's Avatar
    Member #
    8228
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    Posts
    6,546
    Friends
    25
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5385-4035-7079-0395

    Affirmative Action?

    Yeah, you inspired it. Plus it's something else I hate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The term affirmative action refers to policies that take gender, race, or ethnicity into account in an attempt to promote equal opportunity. The focus of such policies ranges from employment and public contracting to educational outreach and health programs (such as breast or prostate cancer screenings). The impetus towards affirmative action is twofold: to maximize the benefits of diversity in all levels of society, and to redress disadvantages due to overt, institutional, or involuntary discrimination.
    Discuss.

  2. #2
    A li'l bit different Squall7's Avatar
    Member #
    89
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    1,743
    Friends
    4
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    I'm torn on this issue to be honest.

    On the one hand, taking jobs from one person to give it to another based on race, gender, disability, age, sexuality etc... is not exactly moral.

    However, the spirit of Affirmative action is to try to break down social segregation.

    Of course, complaining about affirmative action denies the possibility that out of a choice of two equally qualified people, that the job could be given to the person in the less privellged position. So, if a white person and a black person were to be equally qualified for a job, just because the black person got the job, doesn't mean that it was due to affirmative action (say for example, the black person had a personal quality that was slightly better suited to the job). However, it seems that people against affirmative action in this instance might argue that it was just because of the person's race, but in actual fact are missing the point completely.

    On the whole idea of having a broader spectrum of people working in the same company, it'd probably be better of image-wise.

    So yeah, it's a dicey subject area to be honest. Of course, we wouldn't need affirmative action if society were already egalitarian.


    Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.


  3. #3
    Senior Member Napalmbrain's Avatar
    Member #
    43
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    4,286
    Friends
    15
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    I'm against it. You don't tackle discrimination with more discrimation.



    I never add friend codes.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.


  4. #4
    Anglophobiphile Brawny's Avatar
    Member #
    8228
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    Posts
    6,546
    Friends
    25
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain View Post
    Im against it. You don't tackle discrimination with more discrimation.
    Amen. Plus, it does weird things to people who don't need it.

    I'd like to think it was my academic record and my entrance essay that got me into a prestigious university, not the fact that I checked the "Asian and Pacific Islander" box on the application.

  5. #5
    A li'l bit different Squall7's Avatar
    Member #
    89
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    1,743
    Friends
    4
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
    Amen. Plus, it does weird things to people who don't need it.

    I'd like to think it was my academic record and my entrance essay that got me into a prestigious university, not the fact that I checked the "Asian and Pacific Islander" box on the application.
    How do you know it wasn't your academic record and entrance essay?

    Surely the presumption of "I got in because of my ethniciy" is just that, a presumption.

    Unless you've been told that is why you got in. In which case, I could see your point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain
    I'm against it. You don't tackle discrimination with more discrimation.
    Actually, fighting fire with fire sometimes works. Besides, it's more of a question of whether you let the descrimination continue or you try to tackle it (and the only way of tackling it is to establish descrimination, which would counteract the original descrimination). In the end, I think the reason Affirmative action exists is because of the desire for an egalitarian society, rather than one that perpetuates descrimination.

    But then I could be wrong...


    Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.


  6. #6
    Anglophobiphile Brawny's Avatar
    Member #
    8228
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    Posts
    6,546
    Friends
    25
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall7 View Post
    How do you know it wasn't your academic record and entrance essay?

    Surely the presumption of "I got in because of my ethniciy" is just that, a presumption.

    Unless you've been told that is why you got in. In which case, I could see your point.


    Actually, fighting fire with fire sometimes works. Besides, it's more of a question of whether you let the descrimination continue or you try to tackle it (and the only way of tackling it is to establish descrimination, which would counteract the original descrimination). In the end, I think the reason Affirmative action exists is because of the desire for an egalitarian society, rather than one that perpetuates descrimination.

    But then I could be wrong...
    I just think that it's coming to a time where it's gotten back to equal, and it's time to give it up now, like labor unions.

    And I don't know if it had an effect or not. I'm pretty sure it does all the time, just not drastically. I still wish it wasn't there at all though.

  7. #7
    Shmunior Member Chewy's Avatar
    Member #
    20268
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    798
    Friends
    7
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4482-2919-0549-8845
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain View Post
    I'm against it. You don't tackle discrimination with more discrimation.
    Agreed.
    'nuff said.
    You want to sit down but you sold your chair.
    So you just stand there.

    Xbox Live Gamertag: RizGiz

  8. #8
    slightly amused captainff's Avatar
    Member #
    17836
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    807
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5537-0855-7535-2075
    I take the Morgan Freeman attitude to racism

    [ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FO214IFRW1M[/ame]

    ....................


  9. #9
    WiiChat Member Celeste's Avatar
    Member #
    28191
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,213
    Friends
    18
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2937-4259-9208-4198
    Entrance to educational institutions should be based on nothing more than grades and extra curriculars.

    I can see how Affirmative Action was necessary just as the historical segregation was ending, but now? I don't really think it should be implemented anymore...UNLESS it's blatantly obvious that employers/admissions reps are only granting members of their own race spots in their company/school.

    Random side note, but I notice that immigrant-owned businesses are less likely to hire Caucasians than North American owned businesses are to hire visible minorities. This is especially evident in the Asian and Middle Eastern communities.

  10. #10
    An Instant Classic LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Member #
    20794
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,870
    Friends
    19
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I'm actually writing my Junior Thesis on this.

    I am strongly against it. Affirmative action was certainly once an applicable program, but now it's nothing short of reverse discrimination.

    Not to fit a mold,

    Not to join a trend,

    Not to follow a crowd


Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts