LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    ...I want a white history month, if there's a black history month.

Heck, we can even bring up the topic of slavery again and make white people look evil.

Whoop de doo, different skin colours. Let's make a month dedicated to them.

Bring on the Jelly Bean history month, and the Hat history month.

Enoch was right.

Member #
    Friends
    0120-6723-8776-4093
    Totally agree with Scott. (and Morgan Freeman)

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty View Post
    Because the majority of ignorant people in the world are white and need to be set straight.
    No no, white people aren't ignorant. Black people are ignorant and need to be taught what's right.

Sounds worse once it's turned around doesn't it?
    It shouldn't though, because there are ignorant people from every race, saying otherwise is just supporting racism.

Enjoy your fail.

I GOT A JAR OF DIRT. surfinrach90's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    I think something like a remembrance day for black people would be more suitable. I mean, the month is for remembering important people and events.. a month can get dragged out, and stupid things end up being remembered like the stuff in the OP. With a day, it's simple and respecful and kinda keeps to the point I reckon. Just a day to remember like, slavery and all that stuff.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by surfinrach90 View Post
    I think something like a remembrance day for black people would be more suitable. I mean, the month is for remembering important people and events.. a month can get dragged out, and stupid things end up being remembered like the stuff in the OP. With a day, it's simple and respecful and kinda keeps to the point I reckon. Just a day to remember like, slavery and all that stuff.
    That makes much more sense. But this has been passed for a reason, and the majority of people think we need it. It's just like something for gay pride, I don't think straight people should have their own day. Pretty much every other day is straight day. Just needs to be recognized, is all.

I'll run away now because none of you agree with me.

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    The history could still be made aware without the need for a whole Month or Day dedicated to only them. African people weren't the only minorities back in slavery times. Asians, Hispanics, etc were apart of it as well, they had their own important figures that helped the world in many ways, yet they still don't get their own History Month/Day.

Gikoku ハラカミ
    --------------------------

--------------------------
    Don't think. Feel...
    It's like a finger pointing to the moon.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory.
    ~Bruce Lee, Wing Chun.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Okay, I'm majorly annoyed that there's a Hug a Korean Day and no Hug a White Guy Day.

I'm sure people learn something else that is to do with their curriculum when they're being taught history. I imagine that this is only prominent in younger kids, because I wasn't taught about it in my later school years. Just something to be aware of, no one has to participate in it.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I remember my epic post in the last thread. I can't be assed to make it again, but it went along the same lines as this:

Yay, black history month. I support it like I support gay pride week and women's history month. Every month is white history month, history taught in school is basically all European history... we already know all that stuff. So don't be ridiculous "I want a white history month", that's like having a "straight pride" parade. Black history is barely in academia, and was even less so when Black History Month was established in 1926.

That video with Morgan Freeman is interesting. The interviewer is Jewish... and I've certainly been taught Jewish history. The Holocaust, the formation and conflict of Israel, y' know, all that familiar stuff. I do agree with Freeman in that black history ideally shouldn't be relegated to a month... it should be mainstream. This is the eventual goal... but I see no harm in taking a month to recognise and appreciate African/African-American accomplishments in history.

Then again, we don't have a celebrated "Black History Month" in Australia. Or if we do, no one ever hears of it. So it obviously doesn't adversely affect anyone, why are people complaining?

Guys, it's the year of astronomy this year. Yes, that's right, a whole year dedicated to astronomy. Can you believe it?! It's an outrage, I want a year of microbiology. The point I'm making is that it doesn't really matter.

Member #
    Friends
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty View Post
    Because the majority of ignorant people in the world are white and need to be set straight.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah1pV0eK08E[/ame]

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by AndThen? View Post
    Guys, it's the year of astronomy this year. Yes, that's right, a whole year dedicated to astronomy.
    Now that, on the other hand, is something I can completely support.

I never add friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I wasn't going to post because people won't like my opinion on this, but I will anyway. Liven things up, y/n?

I don't have any problem with it. Well... maybe an entire month is kind of overkill, but I can see why someone would want to celebrate something like that. As a repressed minority, I think it's okay for people to say "I'm black and I'm proud!" The reason this is different to people saying "I'm white and I'm proud!" is because basically, white people have been pwning the sh*t out of everyone for ages.

It's like homosexuality (here he goes, amirite?). Gay people have Gay Pride week. Straight people don't have straight pride week (but tbh, I think every week is straight pride week) because they're not the repressed minority. You'll hear people say "I'm gay and I'm proud!" to prove to people that yes, they are part of a minority which is discriminated against, but they don't care: they're proud of their homosexuality. Just like black people face discrimination in a white man's world, they might say "I'm black and I'm proud", to prove that they don't care if they're a "nigger".

I actually had no idea it was black history month (the black population of Australia is tiny), and it hasn't come up in school at all. I imagine that it'll be a chance for black people to be proud of their history (MLK, etc.) and how far they've come since slavery etc. Also a chance for white people to see the trials and tribulations that black people have faced, because too often someone forgets how hard it has been.

In this sense, I'd be happy for there to be a "Womens' Rights Month", a "Aboriginal History" month (:P I'd like that) and a "Gay Rights" month, so we can remember the darkest parts of our history plagued with sexism, racism, homophobia, and appreciate how far we've come, and how important it is to keep going.

An argument against my own is that pointing out differences in race, sexuality and gender isn't going to help beat the prejudice and discrimination. Well I think it will. I think that through acknowledging our differences (yes, they are differences, just like eye colour and height are differences), and appreciating that it's okay to be/look/feel a certain way, so we can grow to respect our differences yet take pride in being united.

The title for this thread is completely misleading. Black history month isn't about promoting black supremacy at all, it's about promoting awareness and appreciation.

Happy black history month.

Ads