Member #
    Landan, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanis View Post
    Potentially yes.

Think of Germany in WW2.

One man tried to wipe out a race. In his eyes, THIS was right. Did he realise what he was doing was so incredibly wrong?

He most probably did have some idea that what he was doing was wrong, at least in the short term, but he believed that in the long term, the world would be a far better place without the Jewish people. Think of the greater good, only it wasn't a greater good and didn't result in anything but the worst genocide known to man.

Simon Cowell, what a dick.

Member #
    Friends
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Uhm, religion doesn't cause morals, but morals are not borne from society either.

Member #
    Friends
    4076-9395-0234-2025
    But society influences morals.

Religion kind of forces morals.

And to say we are born with the knowledge of morality is nonsense. The first thing our parents drill into us is "No!"...our initial thought is to do the wrong, and we are shown what is right.

"If I had a dollar bill for everytime I was wrong, I'd be a self-made millionaire and I wouldn't be singing..."

Member #
    Friends
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanis View Post
    But society influences morals.

Religion kind of forces morals.

And to say we are born with the knowledge of morality is nonsense. The first thing our parents drill into us is "No!"...our initial thought is to do the wrong, and we are shown what is right.
    I still think that if a human were born into no civilization whatsoever, they would still have some form of morality.

Member #
    Landan, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Boethiah View Post
    Religion did contribute to morality, but for the wrong reasons. Atheists are decent people, we just don't act morally to ensure salvation.
    On the contrary, I doubt there are many theists who haven't considered the possibility that their religion may be wrong, and that the deeds they do may all be for nothing. I know atheists are decent people, but so are theists.

Simon Cowell, what a dick.

Member #
    Friends
    4076-9395-0234-2025
    Navarre obviously has no morals otherwise he'd get rid of Leona Lewis from his sig!

just kidding...but seriously.

"If I had a dollar bill for everytime I was wrong, I'd be a self-made millionaire and I wouldn't be singing..."

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
    I still think that if a human were born into no civilization whatsoever, they would still have some form of morality.
    I on the other hand subscribe to the idea of "tabula rasa", i.e. children are born with no built-in morals or knowledge. If we were born with an innate sense of morality, then why do we have different ideas of what is moral? There's not one subject which everyone on Earth thinks "this is immoral".

I never add friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

Member #
    Friends
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    Wrong: Having 8 kids while you have 6 already under the age of 7 while looking like Angelina Jolie.

Maybe they'll have a baby off later or something? Sorry to interrupt by the way, just wanted to let that out after reading about this the other day.

CantGetAWii
    ProudWii60Owner

'I don't want to go back, I want a new day & age.'

Retired Moderator-[PM]

Brawl FC: 4682-8172-0512 [PM for add]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumn0ob
    So all we have to do to become mods is be online all time I can do that on break which is now

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetAWii View Post
    Wrong: Having 8 kids while you have 6 already under the age of 7 while looking like Angelina Jolie.

Maybe they'll have a baby off later or something? Sorry to interrupt by the way, just wanted to let that out after reading about this the other day.
    I don't see anything necessarily wrong with having loads of kids. What's wrong is the fact that she had all those kids via IVF while being a single parent with no job.

I thought doctors in America charged for their services? I don't think she could have afforded all those IVF treatments.

I never add friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    We don't establish morals because of religion, I don't think many people go by that. However we communicate, (we meaning absolutely every animal) we do it because we want to survive. This is nothing to do with "Am I doing the wrong thing if I kill that guy?" because ages ago, you'd be thinking "Is it to my benefit for me to kill that guy and will his friends come after me?". Animals are still like this because they think in the moment. I doubt any mother would stop being maternal finding her child is dead and then they instantly progress to "Hey, this child might make me a good dinner." When religion came along there was the aspect of things being morally wrong, but it was developing anyway, religion just happened to be there at the same time and wrote down the rules, which governments are set up on now. It's not taking credit for it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Ads