Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000

What is Right and Wrong?

Morality is subjective. When someone is born, that person has no sense of what is right, what is wrong, and what is considered the norm. Over time, whoever raises the child, the environment and society around the child, and the experiences of the child will determine what the child will believe what is right, what is wrong, who is good, who is bad. Morality also changes over time. A hundred years ago, a woman showing her ankle would be considered scandalous. In the U.S today, this is obviously not the case. But it is the case in some middle eastern countries. What is morally O.K one day is not the next.

Morality changes from region to region, and is reliant solely on the region you grow up in. Knowing this, why do some people consider themselves morally superior to others? Why do people consider their religion more accurate than another religion?

More importantly, why are certain things universally looked down upon in all cultures? Why is lying wrong? If it would benefit my in the long run, why shouldn't I lie?

This ties into many social issues in today's world, I'd like to see what WiiChat has to say

Discuss, and pick apart my post as you see fit.

Member #
    Friends
    society is different everywhere.
    my idea for others is if you have to hide, then dont do it.
    Wii Games: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Heatseeker, Excite Truck, Wii Play, NHL 2k9, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Strikers Charged, Shaun White Snowboarding, The Bigs, Guitar Hero: World Tour, Ghost Squad, Call of Duty: World at War, Wii Sports Resort, Punch-out!

VC: Wave Race 64

Homebrew Channel

Member #
    Friends
    4005-0628-2206-3853
    The specific things may change, but generally, hurting other people is morally wrong.

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Those with a human conscious will create what is right or wrong for themselves (and others), this Universe however, did not itself create a list of things that are truly right & wrong.

I have some morals of my own, but not many.

Gikoku ハラカミ
    --------------------------

--------------------------
    Don't think. Feel...
    It's like a finger pointing to the moon.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory.
    ~Bruce Lee, Wing Chun.

Member #
    Friends
    4076-9395-0234-2025
    I think I agree with what everyone has written....

What is right and wrong is how you perceive the world, your perception is impacted by your upbringing and the society around you, everyones upbringing and social networks are different....

So it will always differ.....but there are certain givens, such as killing other people....although even this is quite acceptable in certain regions.... (you can shoot someone with a gun in America and within reason get away with it.....Australia you'd be in just as much trouble).

"If I had a dollar bill for everytime I was wrong, I'd be a self-made millionaire and I wouldn't be singing..."

An Instant Classic LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Anything that hurts something physically or emotionally is immoral, I think.

I have a story. I got into an argument with a female classmate of mine (I should say that this happens very rarely, but I don't like her to begin with) over the origin of morality. She stated flatly that morality was defined by the Ten Commandments and that without God we would not be able to comprehend morality, and I countered that it's impossible to know whether the Ten Commandments influenced human behavior or if human behavior created the Ten Commandments (in the case that they were man-made, and there is no God), but that regardless, morality is something that humans as a species have always been capable of. As do most arguments, it didn't have a definitive conclusion.

Not to fit a mold,

Not to join a trend,

Not to follow a crowd

Member #
    Friends
    I think right and wrong would determine the fairness of a situation. Obviously killing and stealing is wrong because it is unfair. But if you are in war or maybe you steal like lol like robin hood or something, then it becomes a little different. so yeah i think its about fairness....which is also subjective so i guess that doesn't really answer the question.

formerly known as wii-fi

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Boethiah View Post
    Morality is subjective. When someone is born, that person has no sense of what is right, what is wrong, and what is considered the norm. Over time, whoever raises the child, the environment and society around the child, and the experiences of the child will determine what the child will believe what is right, what is wrong, who is good, who is bad. Morality also changes over time. A hundred years ago, a woman showing her ankle would be considered scandalous. In the U.S today, this is obviously not the case. But it is the case in some middle eastern countries. What is morally O.K one day is not the next.

Morality changes from region to region, and is reliant solely on the region you grow up in. Knowing this, why do some people consider themselves morally superior to others? Why do people consider their religion more accurate than another religion?

More importantly, why are certain things universally looked down upon in all cultures? Why is lying wrong? If it would benefit my in the long run, why shouldn't I lie?

This ties into many social issues in today's world, I'd like to see what WiiChat has to say

Discuss, and pick apart my post as you see fit.
    your right. morals are based entirely on ones upbringing and region.

which is why nothing is ever truely unbiased. everybody knows only what they learned in life. if one person says somebody is wrong, is it true?

maybe. some might think so while others wouldn't

Member #
    Friends
    I would say my moral standards come mostly from my upbringing, with a small part being due to my personal philosophies about the world.

Quote Originally Posted by LevesqueIsKing View Post
    Anything that hurts something physically or emotionally is immoral, I think.

I have a story. I got into an argument with a female classmate of mine (I should say that this happens very rarely, but I don't like her to begin with) over the origin of morality. She stated flatly that morality was defined by the Ten Commandments and that without God we would not be able to comprehend morality, and I countered that it's impossible to know whether the Ten Commandments influenced human behavior or if human behavior created the Ten Commandments (in the case that they were man-made, and there is no God), but that regardless, morality is something that humans as a species have always been capable of. As do most arguments, it didn't have a definitive conclusion.
    I find it quite annoying- and even offensive- when people suggest that only religious people can have morals. I'm an atheist, and I have morals. I may not keep the Sabbath day holy, but I certainly wouldn't murder someone.

I never add friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Morality changes with the times, we're very flexible.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads