LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 61 to 69 of 69
  1. #61
    Shmunior Member Chewy's Avatar
    Member #
    20268
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    798
    Friends
    7
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4482-2919-0549-8845
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
    Er...what're you trying to say?
    That it's over rated and too many people get married that shouldn't....
    You want to sit down but you sold your chair.
    So you just stand there.

    Xbox Live Gamertag: RizGiz

  2. #62
    Anglophobiphile Brawny's Avatar
    Member #
    8228
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    Posts
    6,546
    Friends
    24
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    That it's over rated and too many people get married that shouldn't....
    I don't exactly think they shouldn't get married. Is expecting too much out of marriage the same thing as marriage being overrated?

    The people who cause the high rate, those that are in prosperous marriages, aren't exactly lying.

  3. #63
    Shmunior Member Chewy's Avatar
    Member #
    20268
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    798
    Friends
    7
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4482-2919-0549-8845
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
    Is expecting too much out of marriage the same thing as marriage being overrated?
    Yes, I would consider the society-defined expectations of something exceeding the reality of something just about the definition of being over rated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
    The people who cause the high rate, those that are in prosperous marriages, aren't exactly lying.
    I see what you're saying here. But, I still think that for the general population they will find that marriage ends up being over-rated. Sure it works out great for some people, and of course those people wouldn't consider it over-rated, but there are so many people that it does not work out for.
    You want to sit down but you sold your chair.
    So you just stand there.

    Xbox Live Gamertag: RizGiz

  4. #64
    Anglophobiphile Brawny's Avatar
    Member #
    8228
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    Posts
    6,546
    Friends
    24
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    I don't know, the word "overrated" just seems like marriage never had the possibility of making the couple as happy as they believed when they entered it.

    I think it can, they just don't know how to approach it to get that sort of satisfaction out of it. As someone's already said, if pre-nups are on your mind, you're doomed from the start.

    Also, one can argue that marriage is underrated. Look at the media especially. Every single comedy that has a married couple goes by the cliche formula. A couple cute kids, stupid father, painfully witty mother. Father's parents live nearby and are evil.

    And how many "there's no sex after marriage" jokes can you possibly use before they get old?

  5. #65
    Shmunior Member Chewy's Avatar
    Member #
    20268
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    798
    Friends
    7
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4482-2919-0549-8845
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
    I don't know, the word "overrated" just seems like marriage never had the possibility of making the couple as happy as they believed when they entered it.

    I think it can, they just don't know how to approach it to get that sort of satisfaction out of it. As someone's already said, if pre-nups are on your mind, you're doomed from the start.

    Also, one can argue that marriage is underrated. Look at the media especially. Every single comedy that has a married couple goes by the cliche formula. A couple cute kids, stupid father, painfully witty mother. Father's parents live nearby and are evil.

    And how many "there's no sex after marriage" jokes can you possibly use before they get old?
    True, true.

    Really if you think about it the only people qualified to answer this question are those who are married.
    You want to sit down but you sold your chair.
    So you just stand there.

    Xbox Live Gamertag: RizGiz

  6. #66
    WiiChat Member Lewi T's Avatar
    Member #
    25688
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,549
    Friends
    13
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    ^ In that case, no, it certainly isn't overrated.

  7. #67
    Senior Member Napalmbrain's Avatar
    Member #
    43
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    4,286
    Friends
    15
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    True, true.

    Really if you think about it the only people qualified to answer this question are those who are married.
    Isn't that like saying that the only people qualified to debate about the death penalty are people who've been executed?



    I never add friend codes.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.


  8. #68
    Shmunior Member Chewy's Avatar
    Member #
    20268
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    798
    Friends
    7
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4482-2919-0549-8845
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain View Post
    Isn't that like saying that the only people qualified to debate about the death penalty are people who've been executed?
    Heh, I don't think it's quite like that.

    In order to say something is over rated you really have to experience it in the first place.

    It's like saying "(insert game here) is over rated. I've never played it but it's over rated."
    You want to sit down but you sold your chair.
    So you just stand there.

    Xbox Live Gamertag: RizGiz

  9. #69
    WiiChat Member Zorba's Avatar
    Member #
    55557
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    96
    Friends
    1
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
    Also, one can argue that marriage is underrated. Look at the media especially. Every single comedy that has a married couple goes by the cliche formula. A couple cute kids, stupid father, painfully witty mother. Father's parents live nearby and are evil.
    that pretty much covers everybody loves raymond.

    you ever watched king of queens? no kids, parent in the basement.

    what about married with children, couldnt be any further from your example.

    most sitcoms dont even have married couples in it, and the ones that do, generally arent funn (according to jim, george lopez etc)

    the good sitcoms are the non married ones, ie seinfeld, how i met your mother, drew carey show etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

is marriage overrated

,

marriage overrated

Click on a term to search for related topics.