Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain View Post
    Interesting device. Seems kind of gimmicky, but it could be useful.
    It could also mean that the Tencno Mages from Babylon 5 could become real

SIGN ME UP

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    im waiting for a humanity based luxury space lounge like in Wall-E
    Wii Games: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Heatseeker, Excite Truck, Wii Play, NHL 2k9, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Strikers Charged, Shaun White Snowboarding, The Bigs, Guitar Hero: World Tour, Ghost Squad, Call of Duty: World at War, Wii Sports Resort, Punch-out!

VC: Wave Race 64

Homebrew Channel

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain View Post
    We've been dependent on technology since ancient Egypt. It's human nature. And chances are it's only going to get more and more important. But personally, I don't see it as a problem. The key is to make sure it can't be easily abused.

By the way, nitpick at the thread title: the future is always coming.
    Human dependence on technology is naturally obvious. But dependence on information technology is relatively recent thanks to the dawn of the computer and the Internet. Now we rely more and more on information attained from computer from sites such as Google, Facebook, Youtube etc. More importantly, this also includes personal information attained through public consent of the person.

This sixth sense device would completely shatter the idea of privacy of information. Since you can get someone's profile by merely staring at them there is no need for the person's consent. Unless, of course, they also invented some sort of device that blocked one's periphery to avoid being scanned, but this is not likely to be legal since the government and police would want unrestrained access to everyone's record due to "fear of terrorism". It's not about how easily it is abused, but how necessary it will become to abuse it.

The end result is a considerable decrease in privacy. Not only that, but depending on a machine to give you the green light on what to get or what to do involves handing over our decision making abilities to machines, since children who grow up with this thing will obviously grow lazy and lacking decision-making skills.

And can you imagine when they do come up with brain implants that relay information to your brain instantly? can you imagine adds popping into your brain as soon as you look into a store? terrible.

I know this is a slippery slope argument, but I don't think it's too far off, and I think it's something to be considered.

Member #
    Friends
    I doubt it could practical.

Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by anax4aero View Post
    Human dependence on technology is naturally obvious. But dependence on information technology is relatively recent thanks to the dawn of the computer and the Internet. Now we rely more and more on information attained from computer from sites such as Google, Facebook, Youtube etc. More importantly, this also includes personal information attained through public consent of the person.

This sixth sense device would completely shatter the idea of privacy of information. Since you can get someone's profile by merely staring at them there is no need for the person's consent. Unless, of course, they also invented some sort of device that blocked one's periphery to avoid being scanned, but this is not likely to be legal since the government and police would want unrestrained access to everyone's record due to "fear of terrorism". It's not about how easily it is abused, but how necessary it will become to abuse it.
    Naturally the makers of this device will respect privacy- aside from the fact that they have to by law, a lot of people are not going to buy something that allows any idiot to invade their privacy- both you and I certainly wouldn't. It's usefulness to the police is not as great as you'd think, since you could quite easily put false details on your blog/Myspace/whatever. They could use it to access criminal records on the fly, but it's worth bearing in mind they already have access to a database in their car.

The end result is a considerable decrease in privacy. Not only that, but depending on a machine to give you the green light on what to get or what to do involves handing over our decision making abilities to machines, since children who grow up with this thing will obviously grow lazy and lacking decision-making skills.
    This device doesn't decide anything for you. It's a tool to make your decisions easier. You're still the one who has to make them.

And can you imagine when they do come up with brain implants that relay information to your brain instantly? can you imagine adds popping into your brain as soon as you look into a store? terrible.
    I don't think any device that beams ads into your brain is going to be very popular with the public.

I know this is a slippery slope argument, but I don't think it's too far off, and I think it's something to be considered.
    Think of it this way: the device in the video is basically just a portable internet search engine with a few gimmicks. And you could always just not buy one.

I never add friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I was about to discuss again but I'm really tired and don't feel like it. All I'll say is to just watch how things unfold if this device indeed advances and is accepted by the community. I think our generation is safe, we can not pay attention to it and keep on living normally, but future generations that grow up with it don't get the same advantage.

And yes, I'm very skeptic of such ideas. Even facebook is beginning to become an issue to me.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Lewi T likes this.

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Wonders what his tags will be ?