LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Boethiah View Post
    It's incredibly unlikely that any sort of extraterrestrial life has visited Earth. The closest galaxy outside our own is the Andromeda galaxy. The andromeda galaxy is 2 million light years away. This means it would take them longer than 2 million years to get to Earth. Secondly, the Andromeda galaxy is far bigger than the milky Way Galaxy. So, there is more of a chance of there being other life in their own galaxy to mess with. Third, they have no idea of knowing we are here or not. The radio waves we have sent out into space have yet to reach the Andromeda gallaxy, much less any other galaxy.

So I think it's safe to say that intelligent life forms didn't up and decide to start flying in a random direction for 2 million light years and suddenly discover us. It's just silly.

That doesn't mean I don't believe there is other life or intelligent life in the universe. To believe that we are alone in the ENTIRE universe is ridiculous.
    To be more precise, the Andromeda Galaxy is the nearest large galaxy (there are a few much smaller ones nearby), and nowadays it's thought to be roughly the same size as the Milky Way. And of course, there's no reason to assume there can only be one intelligent species per galaxy- there's over 200 billion stars in this one alone.[/nitpicking]

That said, I do agree that it seems rather improbable that we would be the only lifeforms to evolve in the entire universe, and it seems rather odd they would travel the vast distances of space just to fly around Earth's skies for a bit.

I never add friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

Member #
    Friends
    0120-6723-8776-4093
    Not a UFO in the typical sense, but I have seen a meteor (or maybe a piece of space trash) burn up right over my house.
    My cousin and I were the only ones who saw it, since we were on the trampoline. I looked up and saw, for a few seconds, a long, orange streak in the sky. 'Twas pretty cool.

So I think it's safe to say that intelligent life forms didn't up and decide to start flying in a random direction for 2 million light years and suddenly discover us. It's just silly.
    Isn't that what the Voyagers were sent up for? They may be unmanned, but they'd still be UFOs to life on planets other than earth.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB64 View Post
    Isn't that what the Voyagers were sent up for? They may be unmanned, but they'd still be UFOs to life on planets other than earth.
    True, but as of now they are just floating through space. They aren't really close to anything, and will not be close to anything for some time. (Close to anything with any sort of chance of having life, that is)

I'm also weary of the possibility that whoever comes across the Voyagers will be rather violent and just blow them out of the sky.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB64 View Post
    Well they were sent to study the Solar System, and now they're drifiting off aimlessly into space (they still work though, they're currently studying conditions in the outer solar system), but yes, in the unlikely event that they ever land on another terrestial planet they would be UFOs to the native aliens, assuming there are aliens living on said planet.

I'm also weary of the possibility that whoever comes across the Voyagers will be rather violent and just blow them out of the sky.
    Which Star Trek film was that again?

@ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain View Post
    Which Star Trek film was that again?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQZi7tmWhR4&feature=related"]Oh, hah.[/ame]

Ah, but what's the chance that the voyagers will run into something and smash into pieces?

Member #
    Friends
    Ah, but what's the chance that the voyagers will run into something and smash into pieces?
    They could eventually, but probably not for a very long time. Since they're leaving the Solar System, they won't come to close to another star for thousands of years, and even then it's unlikely they'll actually hit anything in that's star's system.

Member #
    Friends
    1254-9433-9791-1069
    You guys are so smart i dont even know what you guys are saying. i just need a yes or no answer
    My Friend Codes.... You got to ask me for them...

NOW AN XBOX 360 OWNER!

RETURNING CALL OF DUTY PLAYER (Wii)

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by [DS]Leader View Post
    You guys are so smart i dont even know what you guys are saying.
    Well, I wouldn't be worth my astrophysics degree if I didn't know a bit about space.

i just need a yes or no answer
    No, I haven't seen any UFOs.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    4% of Americans have insurance for alien abduction. I kid you not.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    In grade 3 I saw a white spinning thing in the sky, but then I realized it was a satellite....or was it?
    Last edited by Booo67; 01-10-2011 at 07:21 PM.
    You are a White Yoshi.

TJ is a Magikarp named Kip and is being lashed with sauerkraut by his evil grampa. Then he turned into a chicken and we are trying to save him with cookies with special sprinkles and a rainbow Rapidash from the lumpish sewer under the KFC before he is deep-fried.

Ads