LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 41 to 47 of 47
  1. #41
    Proud Protestant navarre's Avatar
    Member #
    48373
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Landan, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Posts
    452
    Friends
    8
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by DPrinny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by navarre View Post
    I've never understood this obsession with Japan either. I have more of a reverence for Germany, land of the beer, sausage and the German language.
    And Nazis THAT STOLE THE SWASTIKA FROM JAPAN!!!
    They stole it from Hinduism, which is Indian, not Japanese (duh).

    Simon Cowell, what a dick.

  2. #42
    Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    228
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Super Mancyland
    Posts
    18,978
    Friends
    33
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    It was used all over the place before they made it a sign of evil.
    The only really good thing to come out of there is Kraftwerk


    You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

    Spoiler Alert!

    @D_Bloke - My inane prattle


  3. #43
    Man Points: Over 9000 kiraownsurmom's Avatar
    Member #
    14656
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    somewhere stealin` nintendocam's cookees
    Posts
    1,913
    Friends
    26
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6958-3537-3855-1215
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsteroids View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DPrinny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kiraownsurmom View Post

    Youre one to talk.
    Yes I am one to talk and talk at length if its about something I like but this is a forum and there is no noise on here so we are all mutes talking via the means of on screen text
    I bet I can talk more... and type even MORE.
    I r 2 srs 4 /b/.
    Wait what
    PKMN446793374997
    MMSF356599059396
    ~if i owned a death note.you would be first!
    Spoiler Alert!

    Spoiler Alert!

  4. #44
    Turkish RPG Master RPGMasterTurk91's Avatar
    Member #
    1322
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in New Jersey
    Posts
    737
    Friends
    13
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsteroids View Post
    I'm home!!

    Sorry, I really didn't mean to be so hostile, but I still can't agree with your way of portraying your points. I can see that you're definitely going for a diplomatic angle. That doesn't help your brief opinion based argument.

    You started this topic with the fact that you were annoyed by these rabid anime fans and then asked for others to provide their grievances with these types rather than putting your own down first. The only lead to go by was that you met these people on the internet, no examples.

    The scenario I immediately constructed was that you brushed by these people and their presence must have annoyed you so much you had to post a topic on it.
    Anyone can say 'this bugs me', but it just leaves people bitter and understandably annoyed/confused when the instigator fails to elaborate.

    "Hmmm... Oh well. I'll go along and post my own experiences and reasons for enjoying Japanese media."
    I also came across a set Marvel illustrations on this blog that were very manga-esque and decided to post a little rant about that here. My angle was that the general interest in Japanese works is not as obscure, as you made clear in your first post, or new as you make it out to be with your experiences with your location and that it is a large global industry as well. I was trying to show how it isn't quite as surprising either.
    Still, I actually wasn't opposing you. At all. Perhaps I was mildly offended by your general use of 'anime fans' and 'trying to be Japanese' together making for a rather glib initial argument.
    Maybe I'm not hitting your 'main' grievance, but I was trying to go by your most detailed lead, your apparent location. I also strung a comment loosely tied to the slurs the people in your town would apparently use on these anime fans.
    I abhor it. I abhor such homophobia, and racism. I find it's horribly unfair and rooted in traditionalism because of the arguments people tend to use when attacking it.

    After that you brought out an obvious 'hot button' and posted that correlation out of, what looks to be, thin air. Again, you posted that it was from 'your' experience with no example to go by and expected that to be taken with... I don't know. What were you expecting? You dropped your previous topic almost entirely in favor of the next risque topic.

    By there I didn't know what you were trying to actually do.


    It's a question like "Why are most serial killers white men?" you say, but that's like asking:
    Spoiler Alert!

    Still, I've heard an alarming amount of these types of questions word-for-word and they don't come across nearly as benign as you put it.
    Not all of those questions have to be offensive initially, but they are in the sense that they all carry a derogatory connotation with a broad and generally pejorative stereotype.

    Sure there are people who fit the description of each question above and they've become well known due to their portrayal in general media. You'll even meet them along with many different types of people.

    I just feel that the lack of defined assertiveness in your posts were generally a passive way of avoiding confrontation or a real argument. The problem is that you're not laying into your actual demands of the discussion and it's participants.
    It bugged me. I'm a nitpicky, hypocritical, and overtly loquacious freak. I'm aware.

    Also, people pursue their interest based on who they are, not the other way around despite how it looks at times. Their pursuits may lead to more expression of who they are and may branch their personal qualities further as they learn new terms and concepts to explain certain things.
    It's much like 'If you can't articulate it, you can't think it', but instead of being so absolute it's more or less 'If you can't define it somehow, you only have a vague underdeveloped notion of what it is.' 'It' in this case are aspects of an individual's interests and sexuality.


    This forum needs and Off-topic button! I would fit that entire spiel in an OT box. You only need to read beyond this point to get my response to the original topic question.

    Insane fandoms exist far beyond the Anime market. Hit up Rule 34, furries and Twilight and you will see what I mean.

    To illustrate:
    Furries:
    Spoiler Alert!

    Twilight:
    Spoiler Alert!

    Weeaboos:
    Spoiler Alert!


    They cross over as well. That's when it gets really out there.
    Just turn off the Google Safe-search.
    There's your bucket of lulz for the day... or tank of Nightmare Fuel... or Fetish Fuel.

    I feel you can't complain about one overdone fandom without seeing the rest. You might be surprised by your own interests and how deep they run. I was when I came across the net. It was quite jarring, but as I accepted different fandoms I managed to ease into my own interests better.

    Still didn't get my self-esteem back. Give it back, vile internet!!
    To be continued...

    Sorry for writing a book. I'm just trying to be precise. Unfortunately I'm just plain abysmal at being concise.
    I r a poet!
    No, I'm just fairly certain that I have a mild form of Aspergers.
    Alright, I'm back! So my response to what you have to another interesting comment is:

    Ok so in order for you to understand more properly what I was attempting to state, I'll first give you a little background as to why I brought up the "Why are most Serial Killers white males?". Note I didn't say "why are most white males serial killers?-->This would be considered a stereotype, even though it is completely untrue for ANY group of people. The examples that you posted were ALL stereotypes of people, things that are associated with them that place somewhat of a stigma on their image. Whereas I said something that was not a stereotype at all, but rather more a statement than anything else. Because it IS true that most serial killers (in America) are and were white males, and the reason behind it is what sociologists seek for anything that relates one thing to the other. They try to relate how one thing is related to another. Just like how I was wondering how this "Japanophilia" is related to one's behavior and background, their obsession for anime, and in my town in general--the avoidance of animes and RPG-like video games, which are considered "gay" and for "faggots".

    Okay, let's drop the sexuality aspect out of the discussion for now, this is something more relevant and more tolerant of a subject: If it is true that many "weaboos'" parents are divorced, then is it this life experience that branches out to an interest in Japanese Everything, or is it the fact that the child is in a state of "weaboo" that is related to the relationship of their parents? Note that I am not asking whether or not the child's obsession for Japanese Everything is causing the parents stress and results in a divorce, but rather seeking the relation. This is just a branch of what divorced parents may lead to.

    Alright to make this a bit easier to explain on my part and to understand on the reader's part, I'll explain a personal example. While it may not be true in many cases, this is what I found in one case.

    I walked into the Game Room in my college (I went there on occasion when waiting for a class or had nothing better to do). Because I see them rather often and am in an environment where socializing is appropriate, I found out about the majority of their backgrounds. Most were Asian or white, with blacks not too far behind, with little Hispanic presence (though it was there). Most were straight, but I found that maybe one in ten were gay, and the few girls mostly bi. Even one in ten is a definite majority, it is a big figure, and thus not negligible. Some of you may be thinking I asked around too much, but who doesn't know these things about their classmates or acquaintances? It wasn't me asking around, but rather finding out gradually.

    So back to the point: I was simply wondering what one thing had to do with the other; another quick example: "why are many overweight people depressed?" In other words, what is the relation between the person being overweight and being depressed at the same time that it is a high rate in our society? What does being overweight have to do with the person being depressed, and as a result many overweight people are included in the statistics of "depression"? Note that I didn't say "most", because even if the amount doesn't actually exceed 50%, it doesn't matter if it is the majority, but rather the fact that it is not under 1%. Remember, this is just an example, so I don't actually need an answer. It is also important to note that the question posed is not why "many depressed people are overweight". This is another question.

    Edit: Sorry about that, I had to tend to an emergency situation!
    Last edited by RPGMasterTurk91; 11-14-2009 at 10:49 PM.
    "Many religions within a nation causes little conflict, but two religions within a nation is nothing less than conflict."
    "If you can speak three languages, you are trinomial. If you can speak two languages, you are binomial. If you can speak one language, you are American."
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"--Theodore Roosevelt. Haha describes me nicely.

    SSBB: 0602-5954-4722 CURRENTLY RETIRED FROM ONLINE PLAY AND VIDEO GAMES IN GENERAL

  5. #45
    WiiChat Member FinalFantasyVII's Avatar
    Member #
    1358
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    21
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    lol I always end up reading something interesting from you, Turk. Never fails me =P I like where you get at, it makes a lot of sense to me.

  6. #46
    Psychedelic Snail Monsteroids's Avatar
    Member #
    14011
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,791
    Friends
    10
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6069-9016-3559-6279
    My examples were quite off. Yes. Sorry. Still, it's just that it's the end result of asking your question to people without the mental capacity to actually figure out that majority is not absolute and decide to purge anyone with a certain interest or quality.
    Something akin to Eugenics and how it becomes so insane. People categorize and will exclude things often put with inherently negative traits even though a rather off individual is needed to connect with these traits.

    Every individual is off in some way. There is no 'on' in this sense despite what people think.


    Now that that is out of the way I just want to say one last thing on the Homophobia note since that's what got me so steamed in the first place.

    You're relating a materialistic obsession with an innate, generally, subconscious biological reaction.

    Weight and Depression actually relate on terms of brain chemistry(yes I know you refused an answer, but this is important). Sexuality and Materialism do not, unless you're bringing in Maturity into this relation. This opens an entirely new can of worms though.
    I think your peer's sexuality is just related to their Libido which is at a peak in College students. People of that age group on average are far more sexually open than any other age group. They settle into their actual sexuality later on or just adopt to the traditionalist institute of marriage.
    The Western ones, at least, are also the most interested in the edgier 'cultural' things that are marketed to them. They can access it now that they're independent. Sexuality is also marketed to them which also contributes to the adventurous sexual immaturity.


    They try to relate how one thing is related to another. Just like how I was wondering how this "Japanophilia" is related to one's behavior and background, their obsession for anime, and in my town in general--the avoidance of animes and RPG-like video games, which are considered "gay" and for "faggots".
    I can't help that I already have a bias towards these people for using homophobic slurs to denote one's material interest.


    Not all gay people can be attributed to an overly flamboyant sub-culture of immature college pricks with freaky-ass hair trying to shout out as many homosexual, tree-hugging slogans as possible while screwing a lamp-post in a giant drunken acid orgy before they hit 30.
    Not everyone who like Japanese media can be associated with those types either.
    God. ****ing. Damn. It. THINK before you go off to Hot Topic, dye your hair green, play with your new overpriced iPhone, eat up crap like Chop Suey, and watch Naruto. Just THINK! Why?

    'Cause it's all just fun and games with a Social Group. Well I guess it's not my business then.
    I went overboard there, but regardless of you saying it's not all the people who like anime are like this 'emo-hair dye weeaboo' group it slowly becomes this statement.

    I also know people like the above and practice "live & let live" on a daily basis.
    A friend of mine is a huge Emo-fashion, Shonen, dye yer hair blue type of guy and he's actually a very nice person. Always fun and very into Boating as well.

    Women also generally do not have as much of a set sexuality as men on average. This, of course, isn't true for all women.

    Okay, let's drop the sexuality aspect out of the discussion for now, this is something more relevant and more tolerant of a subject: If it is true that many "weaboos'" parents are divorced, then is it this life experience that branches out to an interest in Japanese Everything, or is it the fact that the child is in a state of "weaboo" that is related to the relationship of their parents? Note that I am not asking whether or not the child's obsession for Japanese Everything is causing the parents stress and results in a divorce, but rather seeking the relation. This is just a branch of what divorced parents may lead to.
    No, but you make this incredibly pejorative in that the average child must not have any control over their interests because their parents divorced and they ended up pursuing something inherently bad. The child does have control. It's their own responsibility to find the depth of their interest, control how overboard they take it and what they want to produce with it. It's their job and it is completely under their control.

    What you're saying is that a kid could turn and blame their parents for why an internet bully bugged them about their anime related comment.
    That kind of broad correlation is so subject to misinterpretation that it scathes the integrity of anyone in it. Seen it. Hate it.
    Seriously, if a kid wants to blame mommy for being gay then I shall personally slam their head into a wall until they are crying for said mommy. Okay I won't, but still... Really. It's strange how people bend the Freudian logic to try and gain sympathy for a trait I don't even believe is inherently bad.

    An interest has many of it's own root branches attributed to an individual. One quality doesn't define an individual. I think you're comments here don't give people enough credit for the way they are. Just what I'm trying to get across here.


    I have a feeling I'm gonna cop out of this soon. My argument was never towards your opinion of these anime fans, but how you seem to write that the majority is the only comprehensible example and the whole homo deal.

    Suddenly, the individual doesn't exist when bringing in such a large term for a rather exclusive group of people.

    I don't meet these 'ILU NIPPON!!! MY HAIR IS ALL LIEK SAKURAS N PINK STUFF' people unless I'm browsing somewhere I really don't want to be. This doesn't happen so much because I don't browse the net. I've only talked to certain people on two forums ever since I started using forums.
    Last edited by Monsteroids; 11-15-2009 at 02:34 AM.


    Brawl Punching Bag


    Chibi Asuka!!
    ------


    Spoiler Alert!


  7. #47
    Turkish RPG Master RPGMasterTurk91's Avatar
    Member #
    1322
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in New Jersey
    Posts
    737
    Friends
    13
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsteroids View Post
    My examples were quite off. Yes. Sorry. Still, it's just that it's the end result of asking your question to people without the mental capacity to actually figure out that majority is not absolute and decide to purge anyone with a certain interest or quality.
    Something akin to Eugenics and how it becomes so insane. People categorize and will exclude things often put with inherently negative traits even though a rather off individual is needed to connect with these traits.

    Every individual is off in some way. There is no 'on' in this sense despite what people think.


    Now that that is out of the way I just want to say one last thing on the Homophobia note since that's what got me so steamed in the first place.

    You're relating a materialistic obsession with an innate, generally, subconscious biological reaction.

    Weight and Depression actually relate on terms of brain chemistry(yes I know you refused an answer, but this is important). Sexuality and Materialism do not, unless you're bringing in Maturity into this relation. This opens an entirely new can of worms though.
    I think your peer's sexuality is just related to their Libido which is at a peak in College students. People of that age group on average are far more sexually open than any other age group. They settle into their actual sexuality later on or just adopt to the traditionalist institute of marriage.
    The Western ones, at least, are also the most interested in the edgier 'cultural' things that are marketed to them. They can access it now that they're independent. Sexuality is also marketed to them which also contributes to the adventurous sexual immaturity.


    They try to relate how one thing is related to another. Just like how I was wondering how this "Japanophilia" is related to one's behavior and background, their obsession for anime, and in my town in general--the avoidance of animes and RPG-like video games, which are considered "gay" and for "faggots".
    I can't help that I already have a bias towards these people for using homophobic slurs to denote one's material interest.


    Not all gay people can be attributed to an overly flamboyant sub-culture of immature college pricks with freaky-ass hair trying to shout out as many homosexual, tree-hugging slogans as possible while screwing a lamp-post in a giant drunken acid orgy before they hit 30.
    Not everyone who like Japanese media can be associated with those types either.
    God. ****ing. Damn. It. THINK before you go off to Hot Topic, dye your hair green, play with your new overpriced iPhone, eat up crap like Chop Suey, and watch Naruto. Just THINK! Why?

    'Cause it's all just fun and games with a Social Group. Well I guess it's not my business then.
    I went overboard there, but regardless of you saying it's not all the people who like anime are like this 'emo-hair dye weeaboo' group it slowly becomes this statement.

    I also know people like the above and practice "live & let live" on a daily basis.
    A friend of mine is a huge Emo-fashion, Shonen, dye yer hair blue type of guy and he's actually a very nice person. Always fun and very into Boating as well.

    Women also generally do not have as much of a set sexuality as men on average. This, of course, isn't true for all women.

    Okay, let's drop the sexuality aspect out of the discussion for now, this is something more relevant and more tolerant of a subject: If it is true that many "weaboos'" parents are divorced, then is it this life experience that branches out to an interest in Japanese Everything, or is it the fact that the child is in a state of "weaboo" that is related to the relationship of their parents? Note that I am not asking whether or not the child's obsession for Japanese Everything is causing the parents stress and results in a divorce, but rather seeking the relation. This is just a branch of what divorced parents may lead to.
    No, but you make this incredibly pejorative in that the average child must not have any control over their interests because their parents divorced and they ended up pursuing something inherently bad. The child does have control. It's their own responsibility to find the depth of their interest, control how overboard they take it and what they want to produce with it. It's their job and it is completely under their control.

    What you're saying is that a kid could turn and blame their parents for why an internet bully bugged them about their anime related comment.
    That kind of broad correlation is so subject to misinterpretation that it scathes the integrity of anyone in it. Seen it. Hate it.
    Seriously, if a kid wants to blame mommy for being gay then I shall personally slam their head into a wall until they are crying for said mommy. Okay I won't, but still... Really. It's strange how people bend the Freudian logic to try and gain sympathy for a trait I don't even believe is inherently bad.

    An interest has many of it's own root branches attributed to an individual. One quality doesn't define an individual. I think you're comments here don't give people enough credit for the way they are. Just what I'm trying to get across here.


    I have a feeling I'm gonna cop out of this soon. My argument was never towards your opinion of these anime fans, but how you seem to write that the majority is the only comprehensible example and the whole homo deal.

    Suddenly, the individual doesn't exist when bringing in such a large term for a rather exclusive group of people.

    I don't meet these 'ILU NIPPON!!! MY HAIR IS ALL LIEK SAKURAS N PINK STUFF' people unless I'm browsing somewhere I really don't want to be. This doesn't happen so much because I don't browse the net. I've only talked to certain people on two forums ever since I started using forums.
    Once again thanks for the comment, it was well worth the read. I will get back to you later on this, just sit tight =P I don't have the time to write my full response right now.
    "Many religions within a nation causes little conflict, but two religions within a nation is nothing less than conflict."
    "If you can speak three languages, you are trinomial. If you can speak two languages, you are binomial. If you can speak one language, you are American."
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"--Theodore Roosevelt. Haha describes me nicely.

    SSBB: 0602-5954-4722 CURRENTLY RETIRED FROM ONLINE PLAY AND VIDEO GAMES IN GENERAL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Johnny Lee Sees Wii's Potential
    By CantGetAWii in forum Nintendo Wii Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 04:18 PM
  2. SSBB delay Japanese Translation
    By JLU51396 in forum Smash Brothers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 04:34 PM
  3. How Gamers Will Save The World
    By vashivihan in forum Nintendo Wii Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-13-2008, 08:04 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-08-2007, 09:56 AM
  5. Where's the "Full" internet
    By sstew13 in forum Nintendo Wii Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-26-2007, 11:38 AM

Search tags for this page

+aspergers misers
,
bestiality
,
bestiality porn
,
furries porn
,

furries sex

,

furries sexuality

,

gay furries

,
people wanting to be japanese
,
safe search off
,
taste the blade of a hero
,
trying to be japanese
,
what is the term for people who love everything japan
Click on a term to search for related topics.