LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 61 to 65 of 65

Thread: Why Atheism?

  1. #61
    Turkish RPG Master RPGMasterTurk91's Avatar
    Member #
    1322
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in New Jersey
    Posts
    737
    Friends
    13
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceLink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain
    Puppy tears? Come on, even we baby-eating godless heathens have standards.
    I guess you do. But explain the Koreans then. lol


    Quote Originally Posted by RPGMasterTurk91 View Post
    So, who believes that if you throw a glob of paint trillions of times at a wall, you will eventually form the Mona Lisa? To whom does this sound reasonable, I wonder.
    Actually that could happen.

    If you study enough physics you realize that anything is really possible its just improbable.

    See the probability of getting the Mona Lisa is still there but very very very very very very slim. But say you do this to 1 million walls, with 1 million people for 10 million years. Your chances of getting the Mona Lisa will rise and it might actually happen then.


    Again I pity your argument. Not a very stable or a good one. Please try again.
    Yes, I agree with you that the probability is there. But, even in the course of 4.5 billion years of this earth being in existence, that is not NEARLY enough time for even a basic painting to be purely imitated. It is, in fact, completely improbable. The more you throw the paint at the wall, you aren't more likely to get the image. However, the more you throw it, the closer you get to copying the image. For instance, if you throw a two-sided coin in the air a thousand times, the chances of landing a heads even once isn't 50%; the % gets closer and closer to 100%, in this case, at a rate of 50. There's a 25% chance that you will get the same side twice in a row, and so on and so forth.

    With the painting example, even if you throw it quadrillions upon quadrillions of times, the chance is completely improbable and STILL only a tiny fraction of a percent, almost increasing at a logarithmic rate lol.
    "Many religions within a nation causes little conflict, but two religions within a nation is nothing less than conflict."
    "If you can speak three languages, you are trinomial. If you can speak two languages, you are binomial. If you can speak one language, you are American."
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"--Theodore Roosevelt. Haha describes me nicely.

    SSBB: 0602-5954-4722 CURRENTLY RETIRED FROM ONLINE PLAY AND VIDEO GAMES IN GENERAL

  2. #62
    Senior Member Napalmbrain's Avatar
    Member #
    43
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    4,286
    Friends
    15
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGMasterTurk91 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceLink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain
    Puppy tears? Come on, even we baby-eating godless heathens have standards.
    I guess you do. But explain the Koreans then. lol


    Quote Originally Posted by RPGMasterTurk91 View Post
    So, who believes that if you throw a glob of paint trillions of times at a wall, you will eventually form the Mona Lisa? To whom does this sound reasonable, I wonder.
    Actually that could happen.

    If you study enough physics you realize that anything is really possible its just improbable.

    See the probability of getting the Mona Lisa is still there but very very very very very very slim. But say you do this to 1 million walls, with 1 million people for 10 million years. Your chances of getting the Mona Lisa will rise and it might actually happen then.


    Again I pity your argument. Not a very stable or a good one. Please try again.
    Yes, I agree with you that the probability is there. But, even in the course of 4.5 billion years of this earth being in existence, that is not NEARLY enough time for even a basic painting to be purely imitated. It is, in fact, completely improbable. The more you throw the paint at the wall, you aren't more likely to get the image. However, the more you throw it, the closer you get to copying the image. For instance, if you throw a two-sided coin in the air a thousand times, the chances of landing a heads even once isn't 50%; the % gets closer and closer to 100%, in this case, at a rate of 50. There's a 25% chance that you will get the same side twice in a row, and so on and so forth.

    With the painting example, even if you throw it quadrillions upon quadrillions of times, the chance is completely improbable and STILL only a tiny fraction of a percent, almost increasing at a logarithmic rate lol.
    Like I explained already, this statistics thing you keep mentioning isn't as relevant as you think it is. The Universe is not just a random mess which happened to work out for us- the laws of physics help keep things ordered, like keeping planets in their orbits or molecules bonded together.



    I never add friend codes.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.


  3. #63
    Turkish RPG Master RPGMasterTurk91's Avatar
    Member #
    1322
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in New Jersey
    Posts
    737
    Friends
    13
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGMasterTurk91 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceLink View Post

    I guess you do. But explain the Koreans then. lol




    Actually that could happen.

    If you study enough physics you realize that anything is really possible its just improbable.

    See the probability of getting the Mona Lisa is still there but very very very very very very slim. But say you do this to 1 million walls, with 1 million people for 10 million years. Your chances of getting the Mona Lisa will rise and it might actually happen then.


    Again I pity your argument. Not a very stable or a good one. Please try again.
    Yes, I agree with you that the probability is there. But, even in the course of 4.5 billion years of this earth being in existence, that is not NEARLY enough time for even a basic painting to be purely imitated. It is, in fact, completely improbable. The more you throw the paint at the wall, you aren't more likely to get the image. However, the more you throw it, the closer you get to copying the image. For instance, if you throw a two-sided coin in the air a thousand times, the chances of landing a heads even once isn't 50%; the % gets closer and closer to 100%, in this case, at a rate of 50. There's a 25% chance that you will get the same side twice in a row, and so on and so forth.

    With the painting example, even if you throw it quadrillions upon quadrillions of times, the chance is completely improbable and STILL only a tiny fraction of a percent, almost increasing at a logarithmic rate lol.
    Like I explained already, this statistics thing you keep mentioning isn't as relevant as you think it is. The Universe is not just a random mess which happened to work out for us- the laws of physics help keep things ordered, like keeping planets in their orbits or molecules bonded together.
    Yes, the laws of physics is a given in any of the situations I present. It is there, that is not a concern at all. It is under this law of physics in which the metamorphosis of the butterfly occurs, physics is not taken out of the equation of anything I have mentioned. It is under the law of physics that is a given that the ants are able to even move the way we do, or any living thing for that matter. Yes, the law of physics apply, so I don't really see where you're getting at with this. With me admitting this, what have I also admitted "without knowing", Napalmbrain?
    "Many religions within a nation causes little conflict, but two religions within a nation is nothing less than conflict."
    "If you can speak three languages, you are trinomial. If you can speak two languages, you are binomial. If you can speak one language, you are American."
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"--Theodore Roosevelt. Haha describes me nicely.

    SSBB: 0602-5954-4722 CURRENTLY RETIRED FROM ONLINE PLAY AND VIDEO GAMES IN GENERAL

  4. #64
    Senior Member Napalmbrain's Avatar
    Member #
    43
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    4,286
    Friends
    15
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGMasterTurk91 View Post
    Yes, the laws of physics is a given in any of the situations I present. It is there, that is not a concern at all. It is under this law of physics in which the metamorphosis of the butterfly occurs, physics is not taken out of the equation of anything I have mentioned. It is under the law of physics that is a given that the ants are able to even move the way we do, or any living thing for that matter. Yes, the law of physics apply, so I don't really see where you're getting at with this. With me admitting this, what have I also admitted "without knowing", Napalmbrain?
    You seem to keep implying that without God everything just comes down to chance, like the Sun "just happens" to allow a life-bearing planet (when in fact there are many Sun-like stars), or the Earth "just happens" to support humans (when in fact it supports us because we evolved in its environment).

    To some extent you are right, in that it's unlikely that things would be the way they are. But here's thing: so was every other possibility. And this is not necessarily the only outcome that could have worked right. Life is resilient enough to survive in a wide range of conditions, and if the Earth had been a little different (say, a bit hotter or colder), then other creatures would have evolved to suit that Earth instead. In fact, our own Earth's environment has changed quite considerably in the 4 billion years or so since life began here- it's gone through stages where it hotter, colder, etc.
    Last edited by Napalmbrain; 11-21-2009 at 03:02 PM.



    I never add friend codes.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.


  5. #65
    WiiChat Member Will-91-'s Avatar
    Member #
    65576
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    30
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGMasterTurk91 View Post
    Make it a CALM discussion/debate, NOT a chaotic argument.

    If you are an Atheist or an Agnostic, why did you choose to be so, or what was the process that led to it?

    If you have a religion, you can still contribute by posing questions or refuting the reasoning behind that which led to the atheism or agnosticism.

    Where is God?

    If he exists, and created everything, why is there evil? Isn't he benevolent, omnipotent and omniscient?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Jews
    By Brawny in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 12:50 PM