LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 65

Thread: Why Atheism?

  1. #1
    Turkish RPG Master RPGMasterTurk91's Avatar
    Member #
    1322
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in New Jersey
    Posts
    737
    Friends
    13
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

    Why Atheism?

    Make it a CALM discussion/debate, NOT a chaotic argument.

    If you are an Atheist or an Agnostic, why did you choose to be so, or what was the process that led to it?

    If you have a religion, you can still contribute by posing questions or refuting the reasoning behind that which led to the atheism or agnosticism.
    "Many religions within a nation causes little conflict, but two religions within a nation is nothing less than conflict."
    "If you can speak three languages, you are trinomial. If you can speak two languages, you are binomial. If you can speak one language, you are American."
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"--Theodore Roosevelt. Haha describes me nicely.

    SSBB: 0602-5954-4722 CURRENTLY RETIRED FROM ONLINE PLAY AND VIDEO GAMES IN GENERAL

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    WiiChat Member Athronox's Avatar
    Member #
    64306
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    56
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Simply put, if I cannot perceive something in any possible way, it must not exist.

    For example. I cannot see bacteria with my naked eye, but with a microscope. I've never seen a dinosaur, but I've seen its bones. Etc.

    God, on the other hand, I have never seen, or perceived in any other way with any of the 5 senses. Therefore, he does not exist.

    Secondly, scientifics aside, it is a well known fact that throughout the ages, religion has been used as a tool, whether it be for disciplining children, scamming ignorant peasants, what have you. Why should Christianity be any different? The only thing Christans have to give them any possible notion of a god is an old dusty book, which has been edited, added to, and rewritten hundreds of times by dozens of groups of people.

    The point being, I can't see God, the evidence for God is slight at best, and with all of the inconsistencies in the bible, there really is absolutely no reason to believe in God. The only people who believe in God are those who are afraid of death, those who are brought up in a Christian household and effectively brainwashed, or those who just like thinking there's someone watching out for them, when there really isn't. I myself happen to be one of the lucky ones, who despite the effective brain washing, turned out to be a fully functional human being, without the hindrances of false prophets lurking in the back of my mind.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Napalmbrain's Avatar
    Member #
    43
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    4,286
    Friends
    15
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Nice thread.

    Personally I'm an atheist because I've simply never seen any good evidence for the existence of a God. I know some theists like to ask "Why are you atheist and not agnostic, because you can't disprove the existence of God?", to which I would respond with the Russell's teapot argument: Suppose an astronomer came along saying that there was a teapot floating in space between orbits of Earth and Mars. You'd think he was mad! So you ask for some sort of evidence for this rather bold statement. He responds that he doesn't have any evidence, but you can't disrpove him either, since we don't have telescopes powerful enough to check. I'm pretty sure everyone here doesn't honestly believe there's a teapot floating around in space, so what makes the issue of God's existence any different?



    I never add friend codes.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.


  5. #4
    Not Here Shadow*91's Avatar
    Member #
    55593
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Another site.
    Posts
    1,915
    Friends
    38
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    i see no reason to believe.

    i was raised as a christan but as i got older i started seeing flaws in the so-called 'truths' i was told to believe. so i started looking stuff up, at first thinking i was just believing the wrong religion. but i was noticing flaws in every religion. they all claim they're perfect and true, yet they each contradict themselves in certain stories they preach. also the church really did nothing for me except make me get up way too early sunday mornings, donate money to the church just so they could make the church fancier, and worship someone i wasn't even sure existed. so i just one day quit. i stopped going with my parents and lived my life. over time i saw less and less that would make me even think there was/is a god. when i was still going to church, any random occurance was some mystical work of God. when i looked over the same thing from a different point of view, i saw nothing that would make me think it was more then just a coincidence. nowadays in fact, i'm just seeing stuff that makes me think there is no higher power.

    so unless something big happens that(at the very least) strongly hints at a higher power, i refuse to even consider believing in something that as far as i can tell doesn't exist.

  6. #5
    WiiChat Member Trooper's Avatar
    Member #
    62603
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    107
    Friends
    22
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Athronox View Post
    Simply put, if I cannot perceive something in any possible way, it must not exist.

    For example. I cannot see bacteria with my naked eye, but with a microscope. I've never seen a dinosaur, but I've seen its bones. Etc.

    God, on the other hand, I have never seen, or perceived in any other way with any of the 5 senses. Therefore, he does not exist.

    Secondly, scientifics aside, it is a well known fact that throughout the ages, religion has been used as a tool, whether it be for disciplining children, scamming ignorant peasants, what have you. Why should Christianity be any different? The only thing Christans have to give them any possible notion of a god is an old dusty book, which has been edited, added to, and rewritten hundreds of times by dozens of groups of people.

    The point being, I can't see God, the evidence for God is slight at best, and with all of the inconsistencies in the bible, there really is absolutely no reason to believe in God. The only people who believe in God are those who are afraid of death, those who are brought up in a Christian household and effectively brainwashed, or those who just like thinking there's someone watching out for them, when there really isn't. I myself happen to be one of the lucky ones, who despite the effective brain washing, turned out to be a fully functional human being, without the hindrances of false prophets lurking in the back of my mind.
    Couldn't have out it any better myself.

    Modern Warfare Reflex friend code -059987682217 pm me if you add me

  7. #6
    WiiChat Member Athronox's Avatar
    Member #
    64306
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    56
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Athronox View Post
    Simply put, if I cannot perceive something in any possible way, it must not exist.

    For example. I cannot see bacteria with my naked eye, but with a microscope. I've never seen a dinosaur, but I've seen its bones. Etc.

    God, on the other hand, I have never seen, or perceived in any other way with any of the 5 senses. Therefore, he does not exist.

    Secondly, scientifics aside, it is a well known fact that throughout the ages, religion has been used as a tool, whether it be for disciplining children, scamming ignorant peasants, what have you. Why should Christianity be any different? The only thing Christans have to give them any possible notion of a god is an old dusty book, which has been edited, added to, and rewritten hundreds of times by dozens of groups of people.

    The point being, I can't see God, the evidence for God is slight at best, and with all of the inconsistencies in the bible, there really is absolutely no reason to believe in God. The only people who believe in God are those who are afraid of death, those who are brought up in a Christian household and effectively brainwashed, or those who just like thinking there's someone watching out for them, when there really isn't. I myself happen to be one of the lucky ones, who despite the effective brain washing, turned out to be a fully functional human being, without the hindrances of false prophets lurking in the back of my mind.
    Couldn't have out it any better myself.
    *Tips hat*

  8. #7
    Bringer of KAWAI DOOMSNE DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    228
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Super Mancyland
    Posts
    18,793
    Friends
    33
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Sod you Atheists
    LEMMY IS GOD!!

    On a sane note
    How many atheists still celebrate Christmas even though they dont belive in a god?


    You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

    Spoiler Alert!

    @D_Bloke - My inane prattle


  9. #8
    WiiChat Member Athronox's Avatar
    Member #
    64306
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    56
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by DPrinny View Post
    Sod you Atheists
    LEMMY IS GOD!!

    On a sane note
    How many atheists still celebrate Christmas even though they dont belive in a god?
    Aye.

    Who doesn't love tastey food, snow, and free gifts? Just because I'm an Athiest doesn't mean I'm an idiot. I'd prefer to have a new Xbox and some spending money than to "make a statement", so 'F all of the super-conformists- I want my goodies.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Napalmbrain's Avatar
    Member #
    43
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    4,286
    Friends
    15
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by DPrinny View Post
    Sod you Atheists
    LEMMY IS GOD!!

    On a sane note
    How many atheists still celebrate Christmas even though they dont belive in a god?
    Eh, pretty much everyone celebrates Christmas, including non-Christians, so you might as well make the most of it. Most people forget the religious aspect anyway, at least in this country.



    I never add friend codes.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.


  11. #10
    Bringer of KAWAI DOOMSNE DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    228
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Super Mancyland
    Posts
    18,793
    Friends
    33
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain View Post
    Eh, pretty much everyone celebrates Christmas, including non-Christians, so you might as well make the most of it. Most people forget the religious aspect anyway, at least in this country.
    I just forget all of it
    Apart from the xmas films and the specials


    You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

    Spoiler Alert!

    @D_Bloke - My inane prattle


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Jews
    By Brawny in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 11:50 AM