Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Turkish RPG Master RPGMasterTurk91's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

What is Terrorism?

I'm not asking because I don't know what "terrorism" means, rather I want to see what everyone else thinks about the topic and what they could define "terrorism" as. It's interesting to note the actual definition of terrorism in America is very vage and actually doesn't exist in a complete form.

What do you think when you hear the word "terrorism"? The concept itself is shoved down our throats daily by new media outlets who have personal agendas, but never well defined.

Some key things to note and things that are on my mind pertaining to the general scheme of things concerning the topic.

Nowadays, Muslims usually come to mind in this regard. Islam has gotten such a bad rep from the media these days (and believe it or not way before September 11th). Thanks to what we are being told by our limited sources and what we are being kept from being told, we are led to believe that the religion is the problem. But the problem isn't the religion, but rather a certain group of people who feel that an even bigger injustice has been done to them. Terrorism is not the monopoly of ANY religion. Every religion has had its bad share of people. There have been Hindu terrorists, Sikh terrorists, Christian terrorists, even Jewish terrorists, and yes--Buddhist terrorists, and the first suicide bomber group were the Tamil Tigers (not Muslim). It is also important to note that there were no suicide bombings ever before in Iraq until America invaded and raped all of its treasures (in order to protect and ensure strategic, military, and economic superiority), all while shamelessly claiming that we were there to help.

Did you know that if we go by the definition of a terrorist in America, we consider all of those who defended the USA in the Revolutionary War as die-hard terrorists.

"A suicide bomber is a poor man's F-16".
    "Many religions within a nation causes little conflict, but two religions within a nation is nothing less than conflict."
    "If you can speak three languages, you are trinomial. If you can speak two languages, you are binomial. If you can speak one language, you are American."
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"--Theodore Roosevelt. Haha describes me nicely.

SSBB: 0602-5954-4722 CURRENTLY RETIRED FROM ONLINE PLAY AND VIDEO GAMES IN GENERAL

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    while i disagree with overall most of that post, i will answer the question.

as my teachers in school put it- Terrorism is the usage of torture, fear, and other violent means to achieve a goal; usually destructive and usually motivated through religion, pride, insanity, or any combination there of.

that's what i was taught in high school.

Member #
    Landan, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    The American colonists were terrorists. We British have been teaching terroists a lesson ever since the time of King James 1, when Catholics tried to blow up the Protestant King.

Simon Cowell, what a dick.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by navarre View Post
    The American colonists were terrorists. We British have been teaching terroists a lesson ever since the time of King James 1, when Catholics tried to blow up the Protestant King.
    You know Britain never did teach those American colonists/"terrorists" a lesson, right?

I never add friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

Member #
    Landan, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain View Post
    You know Britain never did teach those American colonists/"terrorists" a lesson, right?
    See also 'War of 1812'. We burnt down the capital city of those rebels who were getting a bit too big for their boots.

Simon Cowell, what a dick.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain View Post
    See also 'War of 1812'. We burnt down the capital city of those rebels who were getting a bit too big for their boots.
    You mean that War of 1812 where America successfully defended itself from Britain? Yeah, we certainly taught them a lesson...

I never add friend codes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndThen?
    @ROB64 - The longer you spend on this forum, the more you realise that Napalmbrain knows a lot about everything.

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    I pretty much agree the RPGTurk. There's a lot of racial abuse against anyone with a certain skin colour, happening even in the UK. There was a panarama episode about it in a Bristol council estate, finding even young boys and girls being racially abusive to people who moved in (they were undercover reporters).

I saw a youtube video of a guy explaining very well about the difference between culture and religion. Found it...[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8q9w3rxsy8[/ame]

I've also heard to other end of the spectrum whereby a Christian extremist murders a retired abortion doctor.

As for the definition of a terrorist, I say its someone that uses fear to get what they want. Though that definition may possibly be too vague. Usually the fear is losing one's life.

Although saying that, there is the old adage - "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter".

Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall7 View Post
    I pretty much agree the RPGTurk. There's a lot of racial abuse against anyone with a certain skin colour, happening even in the UK. There was a panarama episode about it in a Bristol council estate, finding even young boys and girls being racially abusive to people who moved in (they were undercover reporters).

I saw a youtube video of a guy explaining very well about the difference between culture and religion. Found it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8q9w3rxsy8

I've also heard to other end of the spectrum whereby a Christian extremist murders a retired abortion doctor.

As for the definition of a terrorist, I say its someone that uses fear to get what they want. Though that definition may possibly be too vague. Usually the fear is losing one's life.

Although saying that, there is the old adage - "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter".
    Yep, exactly.

What I'd also like to point out is the fact that when the media portrays certain people as being "terrorists", it only applies to certain people. Timothy McVae was not once ever called a terrorist. He was born and raised in America and taught the American school system. He was white and "insane" but never deemed a terrorist. What we are being told is always being blown to proportion.

What the crazy medical-psychiatrist man did in Texas was of course bad, his actions would constitute to him being labeled as a "terrorist", but any case, not matter how big or small, has the potential to be made bigger or worse than it seems (I'm not saying this wasn't a horrible incident that took place). The media loves these bad apples--without them, the ratings wouldn't be so high, which is all they want/need. Putting people in a state of fear is controlling them as well, isn't it? It motivates people to "do something" to end what is portrayed as absolute evil with no justification behind it. You aren't "forcing" them per say, but you are instilling in the minds of the people whose major options are biased networks with rigged explanations due to the personal agenda behind the case.

News reports like to play with peoples' minds. They call people what they want to (and thus label them in this way) so that the people see the case only from their perspective (and while we have open-minded people, we know that the majority of the people--which is more than enough--will follow through). What I am explaining is actually a repeat of what many have said before about a biased media, but the majority of the people still don't get it and are generally vulnerable and listen to what they see and hear.

Let me know if I was being at all confusing, when I write away, I tend to be off-balance sometimes (this message was to all, not specifically Squall, I was just quoting and agreeing with what he said).
    "Many religions within a nation causes little conflict, but two religions within a nation is nothing less than conflict."
    "If you can speak three languages, you are trinomial. If you can speak two languages, you are binomial. If you can speak one language, you are American."
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"--Theodore Roosevelt. Haha describes me nicely.

SSBB: 0602-5954-4722 CURRENTLY RETIRED FROM ONLINE PLAY AND VIDEO GAMES IN GENERAL

Member #
    Friends
    0133-9145-4368-8222
    one mans freedom fighter another mans terrorist

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by irape4free View Post
    one mans freedom fighter another mans terrorist
    Yep, if we examine this simple statement, we realize that what once concludes as one thing, another perspective sees it as another.

Ads