Page 20 of 59 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The Many Holidays of Every Day

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBfreakCK View Post
    Forget Me Not Day is a day inspired by an old legend of a Medieval knight and his lover. The poor chap fell into a river while walking near it with his beloved: his heavy armor kept him from swimming nor escaping the current. Before sinking to his water grave, it is told the knight handed his woman a handful of blue flowers, muttering "forget me not" before the water swept 'em to his grave; indeed, the flower known as the forget-me-not. Today is the day to remember those we may be forgetting or have already forgotten, whether because we're idiots who can't keep in touch with 'em regularly (my usual complaints of "if you need a day out of the year to remind you, you're a damn fool"), or because death can sorta do that to the memory of someone. People are the one thing I'm not good at forgetting, but this gets my holiday pick of the day regardless.

... Romance tragedy stories like that legend are far too cliche. ¬_¬
    Dam... this is epic ... sadly, FTW

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    >_>;

<_<;

Post coming soon...

I forgot again...

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129

November 11th

Yesterday, we had a large nine holidays...

Sundae Day
    Origami Day (Japan)
    Death/Duty Day
    Saint Martin's Day
    Veterans Day (US)
    Admission Day (Washington)
    Independence Day (Angola)
    Independence Day (Poland)
    Remembrance Day

Sundae Day celebrates the Ice Cream Sundae, obviously; but not on a Sunday. What the **** America?! Date aside, few people know where the sundae originates from. Way back around the roaring 20s or so, religious nutjobs said that drinking soda and eating ice cream on Sundays was blasphemy. Ice cream with garnish on top that obscurs the ice cream itself isn't technically considered ice cream; so the sundae was born to get around said religious nutjobs and their stupidity in banning everything that's good. Celebrate the fact that clever loopholes gives religion some tough shit by eating a sundae of your own... Yesterday.

Origami Day is what it is; it commemorates the art form that is origami. Japan in particular favors origami in that Japan has effectively made the paper crane an international symbol of peace. Not sure what the reason behind the date is, though.

Death/Duty Day honors the soldiers who died on the day of WWI's armistice; fighting effectively continued without point until 11 AM, the agreed time for hostilities to stop. There were plenty of unnecessary deaths on this last morning of the war, and plenty of families left without a husband and Father... A single day truly doesn't do justice for such meaningless and unneeded casualties.

Saint Martin's Day is a Catholic feast day commemorating St. Martin, a Roman soldier who was born unbaptized and, obviously, a man of war. However, once past his prime the man became a monk and led a quiet and peaceful life. One night in a snowstorm, the story goes that he ripped his cloak in two to give half to a lonely beggar who would of froze to death otherwise. Through such kindness, even if the man was once a killer and as a child was Christian, Jeebus came to 'em in a dream and gave him his blessings to the angels. One of the few feast days that has a meaning; that generosity and genuine kindness makes every man a man of god. But of course, it's not widely known... =/

US' Veterans Day celebrates and honors all those who've served their country, simple enough.

Washington's Admission Day originates from the same day in 1889 when Washington became the 42nd state... Yep.

Angola's Independence Day celebrates the same day they gained freedom from Portugal in 1975.

Poland's Independence Day celebrates Poland finally being released from a chain of multiple partitions and regaining it's independence, said partitions lasting 123 years in a row.

Remembrance Day, also known as Armistice Day, is effectively Veterans Day for the entire world (y u so special, 'merica?) to remember all those who've died for their country. It was originally just for WWI, but is generally an honoring for all soldiers who lost their lives.

Today's post coming soon...

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129

November 12th

Today, we've got just four holidays and two birthdays.

National Library Gaming Day
    Domino Day
    Birth of Baha'u'llah
    Postman's Day (Mexico)
    Grace Kelly's Birthday
    Auguste Rodin's Birthday

National Library Gaming Day is a day most of us missed when we were kids... And that's just bullshit. =/ I think we can all remember a time when adults were all skeptical of video games unless they were gamers themselves, and it was looked down on as childish and a waste of time even moreso than today. My regrets ( ) aside, today is a fantastic day. Some libraries have had gaming nights (no, not board game nights; GAMING nights) in the past few years to attract the youngin's who want everything digital and love their video games, and as a way for the non-hipster adults to not be entirely clueless about gaming. Such library activities have grown popular enough for a national day, which is pretty awesome. Some libraries after even having ****ing tournaments on the holiday if they've got staff that know anything about games. Who woulda thought libraries would ever gather kids that aren't bookworms? I think most of us can agree this is a grand holiday, even if we have nothing to do with it. Thus, it's my holiday pick of the day.

Domino Day is awesome... 'nuff said.
    Spoiler Alert!

Birth of Baha'u'llah is the birthday of Baha'u'llah turned into a holy day, honoring the creator of the Bahá'í Faith. I mentioned a Bahá'í holiday some time ago, and still know nothing about said faith... >_>;

Mexico's Postman Day, in Spanish Dia del Cartero, is the day that Mexico's residents remember their local postman or postwoman and give a gift for his/her hard work. You won't see much snow or rain in Mexico, but their work in the oh-so often heat is grueling. Unlike most mail personnel in other modern countries, most mail and packages will travel to within around a mile of their destination, and then a fleet-footed delivery personnel will take it to the destination by foot or bike, motorcycle if necessary as well. No cozy, comfortable, and sealed mail trucks. They certainly do deserve any thanks they get for their labor-intense courier services.

Grace Kelley was an American actress, and more notably, a princess through marriage. Yeah, the modern day kind. Famous for her inherited status, her affairs as an actress, and the many movies and TV shows she starred in, Grace was quite the popular gal back in the 50s. Too bad being married to royalty demolished her acting career; not too many of royalty are known for appearing on the big screen, after all.

Auguste Rodin was a French sculptor from the 19th century. His style is generally considered a precursor to modern sculpture, even though he had no intent to revolutionize his art of choice. T'was just his style. He got quite a bit of critique in the way of controversy for his style of sculpting, but he refused to change in a "haters gonna hate" fashion, and it eventually paid off. By the start of the 20th century, he was world renowned and well paid for private commissions. From proletariat to art phenomenon, he certainly earned his way to fame through natural innovation and talent.

Speaking of parents' ignorance towards video games, I'm curious if we'll get another gigantic wave of "VIDEO GAMES CAUSES VIOLENCE, BAN 'EM!" when GTA V is released.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBfreakCK View Post
    Speaking of parents' ignorance towards video games, I'm curious if we'll get another gigantic wave of "VIDEO GAMES CAUSES VIOLENCE, BAN 'EM!" when GTA V is released.
    Only in Australia/NewZealand.
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: F.E.A.R., Skyrem.
    Spoiler Alert!

Love, Peace, and Comfort! The_Man's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    ^^But whatheyplay is going to send emails everyone in the world that gaming rots your mind. It ain't going to be pretty but being older has your privileges.

Brawl 2192 8924 8771

Goldeneye 368263462467

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Man View Post
    being older has your privileges.
    Bring age advantages and disadvantages to my thread and I'll debate you a new asshole... Just a friendly warning. :P

... ... ... That just don't sound right.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    ^^ Awkward!

Brawl 2192 8924 8771

Goldeneye 368263462467

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    You guys are acting very immature. Debating is not awkward.
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: F.E.A.R., Skyrem.
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    What about Assholes

Brawl 2192 8924 8771

Goldeneye 368263462467

Spoiler Alert!

Ads