Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The Many Holidays of Every Day

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    UNTIMELY MOZILLA CRASH TROLLS ME! Dx An hour of typing, gone... again. ;_; Aaaarrrrgggghhhh...

November 17th

Today, we've got five holidays and one anniversary.

Take a Hike Day
    Use Less Stuff
    National Unfriend Day
    Great American Smokeout
    Homemade Bread Day
    Suez Canal's Anniversary

Take a Hike Day isn't the day to tell everyone to sod off; it's literal. Today's the day (earlier...) to take a hike in your local wilderness; if ya have any nearby, that is.

Use Less Stuff Day is what it is; use less energy today, replace disposable things with their longer lasting counterparts (metal utensils instead of plastic, rags and towels instead of paper towels, etc.). Some people also extend the day until Thanksgiving, since wasting less is certainly a way of giving thanks to... er, the environment?

National Unfriend Day is my kind of holiday. Today's the day to clean out that robust friend list of a couple hundred on your facebook or whatever the devil you youngin's use these days... Nobody in IRL has a couple hundred ****ing friends, so there's no point in having that many (whom you don't even talk to, probably) on the internets. And if you have no need to participate in this holiday for whatever reason, props for you.

Great American Smokeout is the day to quit smoking en masse. If you need support in quitting (I wouldn't blame you), you'll certainly be able to find someone from this day and onwards. Plenty of sites promoting the day are also promoting legitimate and known-to-work ways of quitting as well. I've known the addictive curses of nicotine, so this is my holiday pick of the day, no doubt.

Homemade Bread Day is a day to knead and bake your own bread. If you've never had fresh, homemade bread, YOU'RE ****IN' MISSING OUT! The fragrance of fresh bread is divine, and the taste is delicious without any need for butter or anythin' of the sort.

The Seuz Canal was made way back in 1859, and took an entire decade to complete, as well as thousands of lives lost in the process. As important of a waterway as it was, hot damn did it cause a lot of crisis and even wars... Then again, that's what happens with anything that valuable.

So, who else had once or currently does enjoy the pleasure of shoving tar into their lungs? >_>;

Yesterday's post coming soon.
    Last edited by Splash_King; 11-17-2011 at 10:12 PM.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Today's post is here... finally.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Yesterday's post is on the previous page.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBfreakCK View Post
    Today's post is here... finally.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBfreakCK
    Yesterday's post is on the previous page.
    But if today's post was before today's post, which is on the current page, then today's post is on the previous page of the current page of today's post!
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: F.E.A.R., Skyrem.
    Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Your point?

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    You've made quite a mess, haven't you?

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    ... Quite so. ;_;

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129

November 18th

Today, we've got five holidays and one birthday.

National Vichyssoise Day
    Push-button Phone Day
    Married to a Scorpio Support Day
    Independence Day (Latvia)
    National Day (Oman)
    Mickey Mouse's "Birthday"

National Vichyssoise Day celebrates the soup of the same name (there's no way in hell you could pronounce it right the first time :P). Vichyssoise is generally made with leek purée, potatoes, onions, chicken stock, and cream. The unique bit of the soup is that it's served chilled; it's still delicious hot, but that's the traditional way. If you've never had it, you certainly should.

Push-button Phone Day celebrates the first day phones with buttons instead of a rotating dial were put into commercial service. The communication-changing event took place in Carnegie and Greensburg, Pennsylvania back in 1963. Random question for y'all: have any of you have actually used one of those ancient rotary dial phone?

Married to a Scorpio Support Day is about-- GTFO!

Latvia's Independence Day celebrates the same date in 1918 that Latvia declared it's independence from Russia; that declaration was nothing more, however. Internal government problems persisted until the Soviets came and took Latvia for their own in WWII, so the "independence" was held quite shortly. But that's for another post, since Latvia has a second independence day regarding this.

Oman's National Day is chosen for the day current Sultan of Oman Qaboos bin Said Al Said performed a coup d'état to dethrone his Father, and take the throne for himself. I mentioned the sort-of distaste I had for official holidays taking place in the name of a coup, but this one was for the better. Since Qaboos had taken seat as Sultan, he's done many a great thing for Oman (and Muscat; neighboring Arab territories that have been unified under the single name Oman in the name of political unity). Countless highways and schools have been built, women's rights have had quite some progress (in the middle east, that's some srs business), national relationships both east and west have improved to or started as great, so on and so forth. Oman's government is also much less of a dictatorship nowadays, even if it's a sultanate rather than a republic. In the name of progress in a desolate and civil rights lacking land, this gets my holiday pick of the day.

Mickey Mouse was "born" in 1928, first appearing in the cartoon short and classic, Steamboat Willie. Y'know, the golden days of legendary Walt Disney himself. It didn't take all that long for him to become the posterboy of Disney either. He's certainly changed from one century to another in both appearance and personality, but Mickey's certainly got his fanbase in children and nostalgia laden adults alike. I can't help but begrudge the bastard since he's the reason that one guy with a keyblade wears gigantic yellow ****ing clown shoes, though...

And you thought pronouncing Vichyssoise was annoying... ;_;

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129

November 19th

Today, we've got a good eight holidays, and a single birthday and anniversary each.

Carbonated Beverages with Caffeine Day
    Family Volunteer Day
    National Day of Play
    International Survivors of Suicide Day
    World Toilet Day
    Bad Day Day (no, this ain't a typo)
    Discovery Day (Puerto Rico)
    National Holiday (Monaco)
    Gettysburg Address' Anniversary (Abraham Lincoln)
    James Garfield's Birthday

Carbonated Beverages with Caffeine Day celebrates soft drinks of the said variety; there's a soda for everyone, so y'all should be able to celebrate this holiday with ease. This day taught me something interesting, though. Soda isn't widely called soda; which wouldn't surprise me if this were true outside the US. But in fact, the entire US is torn between different terms for soda. Check it out here. I can't even tell whether or not soda is the most common term for soft drinks... Whether it is or not, pop is some ****in' 20's terminology shit and can get out, and coke doesn't even make sense since 99% of all soft drinks aren't coke. Good job south, you live up to your stupidity again.

Family Volunteer Day is the day to get your entire family to volunteer for a job they can manage, community-related activities, etc. In modern society (particularly in America), fat chance this'l happen often...

National Day of Play just goes to show how many American children are shut-in hermits or obese, as well as how hopeless most parents are. If you need a day; A SINGLE ****ING DAY; to take your kid to the park or somethin' you're a failure of a parent and should definitely gtfo if it weren't for the fact that parents can't just quit a job, even if they failhard. A day of good intention shows how the lack of good intent (or at least, the lack of applying it) 'merica has...

International Survivors of Suicide Day is a day to spread awareness for the unnecessary chosen end some people take, and more importantly, the people who suffer as a result. Nobody sane enjoys the loss of a loved one or a close friend; and when suicide is involved, it's a much more painful and personal ordeal. Suicide has been known to cause "chain-suicide" in that depression caused from one leads to another, so even if you take no pity for people who kill themselves (I don't blame you, as personally, neither do I), you sure as shit should have some sort of sympathy for the people who are hurt by it. Back in my emo childhood days, I attempted and luckily failed; I regret that pitiful moment of weakness to this day. I've known multiple people who committed suicide some years back, and I'm still no less sad about it. Thus, I'll repeat myself on the fact that suicide is srs business, and name this my holiday pick of the day.

World Toilet Day celebrates the age-old beauty and marvel located in our lavatories. It's the definition of convenient, and saves thousands apon thousands of lives through sanitation. There've been recent polls about what people couldn't live without; the toilet tends to be #1 by a long shot, and for good reason, yeah? Here're two funfacts about this incredible invention. Did you know that in public restrooms, the first toilet cubicle is generally the least used? That means it's the cleanest 99% of the time; make use of this tip. :P Did you know King George II of Britain died by falling off a toilet? Hilarious end for someone with such power.

Bad Day Day acknowledges the fact that some days are just utter shit (I had one yesterday, actually ). Some times, your luck just ain't there, so you need to bear with the day 'till it's over. Thus, instead of lamenting over your terrible day, you should instead look forward to tomorrow since it couldn't possibly be worse; or look forward to just going to sleep. Either or works. :P

Puerto Rico's Discovery Day celebrates Christopher Columbus' arrival on it's Northwest coast in 1493, during his second voyage to the New World. This is the day Puerto Rico was discovered for at-the-time "modern" civilization, not that anyone but Columbus and his crew knew. You may end up seeing a certain tiara-wearing swordsman prancing around and yelling "For Puerto Rico!" today. /reference noone could possibly get

Monaco's National Day celebrates the day Prince Albert II officially took the throne of Monaco after his Father had finally passed away at the age of 81 three months ago, dieing as the world's third longest ruling Monarch. His reign so far has been productive and with purpose, taking serious part in movements to protect the marine environment, plays an important part of Orphans International as he is it's Global Advisor, so on and so forth. He certainly has good intentions for the entire world, both the human and animal side of things. But like many great men, he's had some... affair and paternity issues (ohai Bill Clinton), and thus, some unfair controversy by some. But a job as a ruler has little to do with personal morals, and he's certainly been doing his job. As with aforementioned Bill Clinton, I certainly admire the good he does for the world with his inherited power.

The Gettysburg Address is a world-famous speech given by world-famous President Abraham Lincoln in 1863; y'know, that one that started with "four score (20, which is to say 80) and seven years ago". Beginning with that well known quote which was referring to the American Revolution, it went on to speak of the will of the founding Fathers of the US, and the reasons why America was instated in the first place; freedom. It then related to how these freedoms are being tested in the Civil War, and then went on to honor those who had fought and/or died in the battle of Gettysburg, as well as the people currently live in Gettysburg. An interesting fact 'bout this speech is that it was only a few minutes long, and wasn't even the main point of Lincoln's public appearance. None the less, it certainly meant somethin' important and was well remembered.

Speaking of a presidency, James Abram Garfield, the 20th US President, was born today in 1831. This dude held eight terms due in both to his popularity during the beginning, and his often lack of good opposition. During all those years of his presidency, he certainly did plenty. He had government reforms, economical bolstering policies, and had a huge agenda for black rights; unfortunately, the US nor congress wanted nothing to do with it back in the racist days of the 19th century, and he never really made any good progress in that regard. His good efforts came with some problems and scandals however, so he was a president of good and bad. He's often ranked in the middle end of presidents therefore (often hovering somewhere around 30).

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBfreakCK View Post
    coke doesn't even make sense since 99% of all soft drinks aren't coke. Good job south, you live up to your stupidity again.
    What are you talking about? It's always been called coke. It comes in different flavors, and in different names too for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by SSBfreakCK
    Thus, I'll repeat myself on the fact that suicide is srs business, and name this my holiday pick of the day.
    ............. no.

Spoiler Alert!

Ads