Thread: The Many Holidays of Every Day

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0129-0129-0129-0129

December 6th

Yesterday, we had a good eight holidays, and a single birthday.

Gazpacho Day
    Microwave Day
    Put On Your Own Shoes Day
    National Miner's Day
    National Pawnbrokers Day
    St. Nicholas' Day
    Constitution Day (Spain)
    Independence Day (Finland)
    Ira Gershwin's Birthday

A few weeks back, we had Vichyssoise Day; yesterday was the time to celebrate yet another cold soup. Most cold soups generally were served in the summer after a hard day's labor and work before everyone had access to booze and soft drinks. This one in particular has roots in the times of old for Spain; so thus we have Gazpacho Day. Gazpacho is still a popular soup today in Spain, Portugal, and Central America in general. Just as vichyssoise you can opt to serve it warm (if you're interested in having it, we are in winter after all), but traditionally it's had cold. Since it's origins are way back with the Moors, you might of suspected the soup is a vegetable soup; meat ain't as common as veggies back in the day, and one wouldn't really want to put warm animal in a cold soup...

Ah yes, the microwave oven... Named after the wave frequency it produces, this machine trades deliciousness for absolute convenience. To celebrate one of many countless modern-day conveniences, Microwave Day is born. Way back in 1947 was it invented (and marketed by the very same company that pioneered the fridge, Amana), but it wasn't all-that convenient in use, and definitely not of convenient size, and thus wasn't really sold for home use. It took a solid 20 years for counter top microwave ovens like we see today to begin coming into existence, as well as into our homes in large numbers.

For anyone who doesn't know the science behind this wondrous device (of which I love to avoid, since as I said, food made in it is NOT delicious... =/), Microwaves work by creating and sending microwave radiation through objects inside said microwave oven. "RADIATION IS GOING THROUGH MY FOOD WTF?!" one might think, but indeed, the radiation is safe because it is of a lower frequency. Because microwaves don't have a very short wavelength, the molecules of your food are not ionized. Because the frequency of the microwave doesn't screw with an atom's particles, it merely excites the atoms in question due to the microwaves being absorbed into the substance they're passing through and causing science to happen. Said science is basically friction at a molecular level, causing the absorbed microwaves to be released as energy in the form of heat. And voila; you have warm food! If you understood all this, congratulations! You know simple science.

Put On Your Own Shoes Day isn't literal; it refers to some adults who've never grown up and expect shit handed to them on a platter (I'm looking at you, rich people with servants...). Whether they can't do something, or simply choose not to out of laziness, today is the day for them to stop being such a douche. 'Course, anyone who falls into this category isn't going to celebrate this day, obviously... Pointless holiday is pointless! =D

National Miner's Day honors miners as a whole. Mining is one of the dirtiest, unsafe, nasty, and generally shitty physical labors that have been widely available as a job. Even in modern day it's dangerous, so take a moment to think 'bout how dangerous it was back then. Unstable explosives were used. Shaft supports weren't always in the best condition, nor were they always installed very well. Work conditions sometimes involved lethal gases and such that, depending on the time period, workers may or may not knew about; and therefore died from disease and other problems. Most mining operations kept workers away from home for a long time, and often had workers going cross-country to get the job for the biggest mining events, such as the multiple western 1890 gold rushes, or the incredibly harsh gold rushes that occurred in Canada and Alaska. This day in particular is to remember the victims of a mining accident in 1907, the Monongah Mine disaster. This West Virginia mining tragedy was the worst in American history due to methane ignition further igniting the coal dust in multiple mines, causing one hell of a fireball to kill 362 workers. Miners helped build the world's economy (hey, it had it's ups at one point), and many have died unfortunate deaths, so this gets my holiday pick of the yesterday.

National Pawnbrokers Day celebrates the pawnbroker; an important piece of the economy indeed. People who want to pawn things off they don't want for quick cash or simply because they don't want the item in question get more than just junk lying around their house. Pawn shops of good repute can amass some very interesting items you could get at discount, or simply get nowhere else. That, and it's ****ing fun haggling and winning said haggle with pawnbrokers, I know from experience. Once got me a wooden ninjatō in perfect condition from an idiot who thought it was worth $15 (probably bought it for half of that or so) for $1.50.

And speaking of pawnbrokers, St. Nicholas' Day celebrates the pawnbroker saint, the inspiration for Santa Claus himself. Legend has it that Saint Nicholas was legendarily known for leaving secret gifts, such as leaving coins in the shoes of those who left said footwear outside their homes. One of the few saints I've no hesitation in giving a toast to, as generosity and gift giving in secret; the act of making people happy the reward in itself; is truly a grand thing. It's people like this that make me hate humanity a fraction less.

Spain's Constitution Day celebrates the first of multiple democratic constitutions Spain would adopt, back in 1978. This was Spain's true leap into democracy following a proper election in 1977, and was written by seven important political figures. Considering 88% of voters approved of the new constitution, there's little reason why this isn't a holiday of celebration.

Finland's Independence Day celebrates the day Finland declared itself to be independent in 1917. It took a full year for Russia to recognize it. Finland's movement for independence was inspired by all the riot and revolution going on in the same year, most of which was inspired in turn by Russia's 1905 Bloody Sunday.

Ira Gershwin is a famous lyricist of the 20th century; a dude that I've never actually heard of... I definitely know plenty of the songs he wrote, but I generally have no clue about whether or not the singer or a lyricist wrote 'em. I care for the music first and foremost, not where the content originated from, after all.

Funfact: Red Dead Redemption pays a sneaky (and thus an almost entirely unknown) tribute to the Monongah disaster in one of it's co-op missions.
    Last edited by Splash_King; 12-07-2011 at 03:30 PM.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129

December 7th

Today, we've got a small five holidays.

Letter Writing Day
    Cotton Candy Day
    Pearl Harbor Day
    Special Kids Day
    International Civil Aviation Day

Letter Writing Day celebrates the beginnings of widespread literary skills, the UPS, you name it. I say **** all to letter writing since the digital age has been in effect for quite some time now, but the UPS could sure as shit use some support right about now. Quite a few people are about to lose their jobs once it goes bankrupt. =/ I sincerely hope the president and committee directing UPS cares more about the countless jobs they support, than saving their own financial skin, and hold on to their business as long as possible so that those jobs exist as long as possible.

Cotton Candy Day celebrates that delicious sugar confection that you'd have to be insane to not like. Most people think it's pure sugar that'l kill ya, but cotton candy's mostly air, sort of like ice cream. The sugar content really ain't that bad. Also, like many popular confections, cotton candy has existed for nigh a hundred years; give or take a few, anyways. Back when it was invented in either the end of the 19th century beginning of the 20th, it was labor-intense work lacking the convenient machines we have today, or the original primitive ones at all. T'was a treat for the rich, and the rich alone. But again, like most sweets, easy ways to produce it came into existence and every kid and their sibling could afford it every once in awhile. Finding hand-spun cotton candy is pretty rare aside from a carnival these days, but if you've never had any fresh, you really need to.

Pearl Harbor Day spawns from that Japanese air raid on Hawaii's Pearl Harbor that left roughly 3000 dead, exactly 70 years ago. This marked the fate of the US joining WWII, congress approving President Roosevelt's request for a declaration of war in just five days (shit like this takes time, y'know... since politics loves to waste time).

Special Kids Day has it's roots back in 1990, as a particular days for all the HURR-DURR kids out there to pay a visit to Santa early, without all the other brat American children getting pissed off because they have to wait an extra ten seconds more for a kid with special needs to get done with his turn on Santa's knee. Nowadays, it's a day of awareness on top of all that Christmas jazz.

International Civil Aviation Day celebrates, indeed, the importance of civilians being able to do some globe trotting thanks to planes. A grand day to celebrate before 9/11 and those damn safety procedures that followed, anywho... Ugh. Nowadays, it's really just a day of awareness for the importance of ICAO, the International Civil Aviation Organization. They're the dudes who make the rules and keep civvie flight safe and such; and also the ones to thank for the 9/11 airport security... -_-;

I decided I'm gonna go ahead and make a post 'bout a missed day every day regardless if there's demand for it or not; missed some good stuff, really. Post of the yesterday coming soon. ~

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Yesterday's post is up. ♪ At the page's top.

Ah, it's good to be back...

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    It's good to have you back!
    That rat must have liked the taste of the internet.
    Last edited by Mr. MR; 12-07-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Damn bro where where you? You missed some pretty craptacular stuff. Some weird farts galore guy spammed the shit out of this place. I imagine hes been done away with by now... Pretty funny.

Microwaves are pretty funny. I heard a story about a goober who was a night watchmen at some sort of satellite broadcast facility. On cold nights he would sit in front of the transmitters not knowing how they work, he just thought it was regular old heat coming of those whatchamajigs... One night he fell asleep and was literally microwaved to death. Hahaha Dont know if thats true or not...

Glad you're back! I like taking a break from work and reading these posts.

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    I didn't realize anyone gave half a **** 'bout my posts since the content is hardly quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MR View Post
    That rat must have liked the taste of the internet.
    I'd love to give it a taste of my ****ing ban hammer... -____-

Quote Originally Posted by trollface View Post
    Damn bro where where you? You missed some pretty craptacular stuff. Some weird farts galore guy spammed the shit out of this place. I imagine hes been done away with by now... Pretty funny.
    Yep, he's been around for some time... A senior member who sort of lost it and holds a grudge for some stupid reason I forgot about long ago (if I ever knew why in the first place). So now he spams "farts to the max" every once in awhile. With such years of dedication, it's a damn shame he doesn't anonymously slip into the Wiichat crowd and just enjoy the place.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    That guy was pretty goofy... I was thinking the same thing Really? Years?!! Thats so ****ing stupid. You have the entire internet and thats the best you can do... Haha A real troll would go anon and have some real fun here.

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129

December 8th

Today, we've got four holidays and two birthday.

Brownie Day
    Feast of the Immaculate Conception
    Death of John Lennon
    Constitution Day (Uzbekistan)
    Jim Morrison's Birthday
    Eli Whitney's Birthday

Brownie Day is something we all can celebrate, whether you like chocolate as every normal human being or know how to embrace your inner hippie. 'Course, plain chocolate brownies ain't the only way to enjoy the treat born as a cake without baking powder. Brownies often make great accentuates to ice cream and desserts similar to itself. S'pose this gets my pick of the day, since food > the rest of today. :P

Feast of the Immaculate Conception celebrates, well... the immaculate conception of the virgin Mary. Finally, a feast day that celebrates an important piece of Christianity and not just some random saint; the birth of Jeebus Christo from his sin-free mother. Although, I'm starting to think 'Merica is fat because of Christianity and not just laziness making fast food popular.

We discussed this musical boss' birthday not so long ago; now comes his death anniversary. Today marks the Death of John Lennon by assailant Mark Chapman; the bastard still lives in jail today. The legendary member of The Beatles was killed by gunshot for no reason other than a sociopathic cretin wanted some fame and attention. A pointless death; hell, a pointless murder; if I've never heard of one. R.I.P John Winston Lennon.

Uzbekistan's Constitution Day celebrates the same date in 1992 that Uzbekistan's independence from Russia a year earlier had been fully instated, as their constitution was now complete and officially adopted. I'm curious 'bout what the most recent date a country has received independence is... Two decades ain't all that long ago.

James Douglas "Jim" Morrison; the lead singer of The Doors. A musical talent of the highest quality, no doubt. One of his most notable talents was often going off on a spoken word poetry tangent during live performances; you don't see that kind of lyrical talent in singers anymore (ohai modern rap). Limitless musical potential aside, he was a sharp mind too. A reported IQ of around 140 and a passion for reading philosophical and poetic writings gives a clear reason why he had such a successful career. Too bad he ended up dieing at age 27 because of heroin OD. He certainly had plenty of success ahead of 'em. =/

Eli Whitney is a legendary inventor famous for his revolutionary version cotton gin (he didn't invent it, but he sure as shit pioneered it). The profits cotton could produce using this machine is practically the reason the industrial revolution was successful. Prior to the cotton gin, hand-picking was necessary to separate the seeds from the cotton itself and make it of any use. Whitney's cotton gin could remove the seeds near-instantaneously, and multiple fibers could be run at once. Of course, this grand invention was the cause of slavery spiraling out of control, and also planting this amazing tool as an important factor in what caused the Civil War... Yeah. Humanity taking something awesome and causing ****ing wars and injustice over it? What a shock.

Funfact: Brownie Day was the first random holiday I learned of; you could say I'm writing this junk today because of the delicious chocolate treat.

... That makes me sound horribly American.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    December 1st is up.~

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

♦ whata buncha jokers ♦ Neosquid's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6666-1020-6666-1020
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBfreakCK View Post
    Funfact: Brownie Day was the first random holiday I learned of; you could say I'm writing this junk today because of the delicious chocolate treat.

... That makes me sound horribly American.
    Yes, it does. And now Im hungry. Thanks a lot. _

The Fuchsia City Guru

<(θ)>

Spoiler Alert!

Ads