Thread: The Many Holidays of Every Day

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0129-0129-0129-0129

December 9th

Today, we've got six holidays and a single birthday.

Pastry Day
    Weary Willie Day
    Christmas Card Day
    National Salesperson's Day
    International Anti-Corruption Day
    Independence Day (Tanzania)
    Kirk Douglas' Birthday

Pastry Day celebrates delicious baked dough foods that everyone can like. Whether you dig strudels, donuts, apple turnovers, pastries are delicious; and generally unhealthy. ;_; What I would give for healthy donuts, man...

Weary Willie Day celebrates the sadface clown act and attire, created by Emmett Kelly. The dude was born on December 9th, hence the date.

Christmas Card Day celebrates pieces of cardboard I can't give a flying **** about. I've never gotten one, and nor do I care to. Why? Well, how 'bout instead of throwing works and jokes through the mail, you actually spend time with your family on or at least around the holidays? Holiday cards as a whole can GTFO, particularly Christmas since it's commercialized more than enough as is. /grinch

National Salesperson's Day celebrates those annoying human-powered pop ups you get on the phone... Do not want. Back before TV ads existed and phones weren't abused in such a way, door-to-door salesmen were incredibly helpful for selling products, especially if a company isn't well known or rich enough to have printed advertisement everywhere just yet. Too bad they weren't treated all-that well back in their payday either, considering buyers would always have to be wary of con artists approaching their door instead of these honest workers. It didn't help that the century prior to the salesperson was filled with snake oil pedlars and miracle cure hoodlums...

International Anti-Corruption Day is a day of awareness for fighting corruption in governments and other ruling powers. It came into existence back when a whole 129 countries signed the 2003 United Nations Convention against Corruption document, in Merida, Mexico. I find it ironic that central and south America are an incredibly large source of political corruption and such nowadays. 'Course, all governments have their corruption. Whether it's stupidity, greed, or unbalanced control, every reigning political body has some. In that regard, this is my awareness holiday is my pick of the day.

Tanzania's Independence Day celebrates the day Tanganyika received independence from the UN in 1961. Before everyone gets all lolwut over Tanzania celebrating independence of another territory, Tanzania is the collective republic of Tanganyika and Zanzibar. Combine the names, and you get Tanzania.

Kirk Douglas is a famous American actor ranked 17 on the list of the greatest male American actors; yeah, he's pretty boss. He's played important roles in some legendary films like Lonely Are the Brave, and The Bad and the Beautiful. That, and he played mother****in' Doc Holliday in Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. I can assuredly say that he's been in some truly amazing classics and played his parts damn right.

Speaking of corruption...

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    Splash_King likes this.
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: F.E.A.R., Skyrem.
    Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    I lol'd. Hard.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    Playing Pokémon = Win
    Quoting Pokémon = Loss

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    6666-1020-6666-1020
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MR View Post
    Playing Pokémon = Win
    Quoting Pokémon = Win
    Fixed

The Fuchsia City Guru

<(•θ•)>

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    ^

December 2nd coming eventually.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    Quote Originally Posted by Neosquid View Post
    Fixed
    sure whatever

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    December 2nd has come.

You might say it's the... 2nd coming?

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129

December 10th

Today, we've got eight holidays and two birthdays.

National Lager Day
    Dewey Decimal System Day
    Human Rights Day
    International Shareware Day
    National Day of the Horse
    Nobel Prize Day
    Admission Day (Mississippi)
    Constitution Day (Thailand)
    Emily Dickinson's Birthday
    Thomas Gallaudet's Birthday

National Lager Day, in the US only, celebrates lager; the original German beer. Not only is this a sub-category holiday, it's an adopted method of brewing... GTFO!

Dewey Decimal System Day commemorates the library sorting method invented by Melville Louis Kossuth Dewey. The Dewey Decimal System made finding particular books in a library a breeze. This old system was made around the 1870s, but is still in wide use today. That's certainly a testament to how useful it is.

Human Rights Day is exactly what it is; equality and fairness to all in the form of rights. We all know how abundant prejudice and evil in general is in the world, and rights everyone should hold is a dream that won't be achieved any time soon; and that's all the more reason to fight harder for everyone's equality. I really don't need to say anymore, aside from this is my holiday pick of the day.

International Shareware Day celebrates not shareware, but the developers who aren't grubbing for those incredible profits by making you pay copious amounts from the get-go, and give infinite free trials with usable functionality, not piss-poor limited. 'Course, shareware garners no profit if everyone would just take the limited functionality, so today's the day to buy the higher-end version of shareware you're avidly using as is; and don't lie, everyone uses shareware. ¬_¬

National Day of the Horse celebrates this majestic, powerful, trusty ally that's been alongside mankind for quite some time. You may not call horses man's best friend since you can't safely fit them in a house or wrestle with 'em, but they certainly are. Before mechanical transportation, horses were everything. They were the machines that powered certainly jobs and tools, they were the method of transporting yourself and/or goods with haste, and they were simply invaluable. Horses might not be regarded as equal to a man's livelihood anymore, but horse-related business still plays an important role in the economy, too... That, and without horses, we wouldn't have professional modern-day jousting.

Nobel Prize Day has been a world tradition of giving the most prestigious of prestigious prizes to intellects and geniuses who have significantly contributed to physics, medicine/physiology, literature, chemistry and the most well known of all Nobel prizes, peace, on this very day. The tradition has gone on since 1901, and is the epitome of humanity's modern achievements and grandeur accomplishments. Pride might be a sin, but hot damn would I want to be a snobby, egotistical piece of shit if I managed to earn one of these.

Mississippi's Admission Day occurred on 1817 to make it the 20th state of the US. Huzzah...

Thailand's Constitution Day commemorates the resulting document after a bloodless coup on June 24th, 1932, in an attempt to change their absolute monarchy into a democratic one. Come December 10th of the same year, their official constitution was adopted. However, their constitutional monarchy lasted only two years; but not for reasons you might think. Their new monarch, King Prajadhipok, relinquished his powers and disbanded the very monarchy he ruled in the name of his people; not because of death threats, not because of an impending coup. Thus, for the past 79 years, Thailand has not only had a constitution, but a fully democratic government, not a monarchy. Who would of thought, a country besides India making great progress towards such greater things in the past century...

Emily Dickinson is without a doubt, one of the most famous American poets to of lived. Dickinson was literally more of a hermit and anti-socialite than a fat emo nerd who thinks his life is the worst in the world, which certainly says something... Likewise, quite a bit of her poetry revolved around some dark and morbid things at times. Fittingly enough, the end of her life saw her family quickly falling apart one death after another, one of her poetical subjects of choice came to haunt her. Due to her reclusive nature, only a few dozen pieces of poetry were published during her life time; almost all of her poems were posthumously published by her younger sister Lavinia, so she certainly never enjoyed a lavish life of profit. Both in personality and writing style, Emily Dickinson certainly was unique for the 19th century.

Reverend Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet is certainly what you'd refer to as a saint and a scholar. Gallaudet, alongside Mason Cogswell and Laurent Clerc created the education institution for the deaf, at the time known as the "American Asylum for Deaf-Mutes". Today, it still functions as a huge education center for the deaf known as the American School for the Deaf. His genuine sympathy and caring for those who lack hearing was apparent in that both of his children had continued his line of work in helping the deaf; in fact, his second-born son Edward Miner Gallaudet founded the first college for the deaf, which eventually evolved into a university 20 years later that offered education to the deaf of all ages. Had he been born and done his amazing work a century later, I've little doubt he would of received a Nobel prize.

Speaking of human rights day, I think it's about time I go slay some dictator Templars...

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBfreakCK View Post
    Not only is this a sub-category holiday, it's an adopted method of brewing... GTFO!
    Is there a problem?
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: F.E.A.R., Skyrem.
    Spoiler Alert!

Ads